richardwayne

Insufficient Birth Record and Co-Sponsor

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello People,

I read a lot of opinions and used responses from this website to start my K1 journey last year (March 2015), got approved and came into the US December 2015. We got married December 29th and filed my i-485 January 29th. I did my biometric 23rd February BUT I got a notification today that my government approved affidavit of birth (Birth Attestation) I was required to bring into the US from Nigeria because that's what the US consular in Lagos requested for instead of birth certificate and was advised I should take a copy along to US to use for my AOS and now same document has been termed insufficient proof of birth in the notification I got today from USCIS.

I was required to supply more evidence from government of Nigeria and a supporting letter from my church or school in Nigeria and I have 87 days to submit else my case will be denied. I am at a loss and don't know what to do.

Also, my wife's i-864 was termed insufficient because she didn't make so much last year as she was out of job for about 9 months and I was advised to get a co-sponsor that will also fill form i-864. We are thinking to use her brother who is also a citizen.

My 90 days stay expires tomorrow 15th March.

Of all the topics I have read here and other immigration blog, I did not come across any case that looks or sounds like mine. Now, am confused on what step to take because the government of Nigeria doesn't give more than the Birth Attestation and I can only source for my church or school supporting letter.

I need your advice people.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum. Because of your country-specific question, I'm moving your thread from Introducing Our Members to the Africa/Sub-Saharan regional forum. The members there should have the knowledge to help you. Good luck with your situation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Thank you Ebun. I submitted the birth attestation from NPC but it was termed insufficient.

Welcome to the forum. Because of your country-specific question, I'm moving your thread from Introducing Our Members to the Africa/Sub-Saharan regional forum. The members there should have the knowledge to help you. Good luck with your situation.

Thank you.

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Was something altered on the attestation of birth? Maybe include your secondary completion results if they include your birth date and residence. You may can get your original baptismal certificate if you have one. College enrollment papers if they include your birth day. Shot records from when you were a child if you have them with as much birth date and residence information as possible. A birth certificate supplies two things: age and birth location. Try to find as much original, old records with that type of information as possible. Newspaper articles from when you were young if you were ever in the newspaper. Newspapers have dates, etc. Yearbooks???

Edited by tomyka81

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

so you took the birth attestation but didnt take with you the npc birth cert? cant u just contact someone from nigeria to scan the document to you? im assuming the birth attestation and the npc birth cert would of avoided the issue if u had it

Timeline

Depending on his age and location of birth he may not have a NPC birth certificate. My fiance doesn't have a NPC birth certificate. He was born in the 80s in Edo state back before it was compulsory and the state he was born in is now defunct. So it is possible not to have both.

Timeline

Was something altered on the attestation of birth? Maybe include your secondary completion results if they include your birth date and residence. You may can get your original baptismal certificate if you have one. College enrollment papers if they include your birth day. Shot records from when you were a child if you have them with as much birth date and residence information as possible. A birth certificate supplies two things: age and birth location. Try to find as much original, old records with that type of information as possible. Newspaper articles from when you were young if you were ever in the newspaper. Newspapers have dates, etc. Yearbooks???

Thanks. My attestation was not altered but I was told its "insufficient" and requires it to be signed by either a secretary or registrar with a seal and stamp. I feel USCIS rejected the attestation of birth because it was signed by a director. I have requested for a letter from my Local Government of Birth in Lagos, letter from my church and secondary school. I hope that works.

Timeline

so you took the birth attestation but didnt take with you the npc birth cert? cant u just contact someone from nigeria to scan the document to you? im assuming the birth attestation and the npc birth cert would of avoided the issue if u had it

I submitted the birth attestation to USCIS. Birth certificate wasn't issued because I was born after Act No. 69 of December, 1992 on Births, Deaths etc (Compulsory Registration) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for the issuance of National Birth Certificate came into effect. I was told at the embassy I will be needing it to file for my AOS when I get here so they returned the original to me but unfortunately, it was rejected. I have requested for the secondary letters requested by USCIS from my Local Government of birth, Church and School.

Thanks.

Depending on his age and location of birth he may not have a NPC birth certificate. My fiance doesn't have a NPC birth certificate. He was born in the 80s in Edo state back before it was compulsory and the state he was born in is now defunct. So it is possible not to have both.

That's true. I was born in the 80's so I don't have an official birth certificate. I was told at the embassy I will be needing it to file for my AOS when I get here so they returned the original to me but unfortunately, it was rejected. I have requested for the secondary letters requested by USCIS from my Local Government of birth, Church and School.

Thanks.

Timeline

I submitted the birth attestation to USCIS. Birth certificate wasn't issued because I was born after Act No. 69 of December, 1992 on Births, Deaths etc (Compulsory Registration) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for the issuance of National Birth Certificate came into effect. I was told at the embassy I will be needing it to file for my AOS when I get here so they returned the original to me but unfortunately, it was rejected. I have requested for the secondary letters requested by USCIS from my Local Government of birth, Church and School.

Thanks.

That's true. I was born in the 80's so I don't have an official birth certificate. I was told at the embassy I will be needing it to file for my AOS when I get here so they returned the original to me but unfortunately, it was rejected. I have requested for the secondary letters requested by USCIS from my Local Government of birth, Church and School.

Thanks.

wow so my future fiance was born in 1990 , does that mean she should be able to get a npc cert issued correct

Timeline

Can you get someone to get a sealed one for you? My fiance had the affidavit from the local government and the NPC attestation has a seal and was initialed and dated on the back of the seal. Maybe there is an online service that can get it for you.

Edited by tomyka81

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello People,

I read a lot of opinions and used responses from this website to start my K1 journey last year (March 2015), got approved and came into the US December 2015. We got married December 29th and filed my i-485 January 29th. I did my biometric 23rd February BUT I got a notification today that my government approved affidavit of birth (Birth Attestation) I was required to bring into the US from Nigeria because that's what the US consular in Lagos requested for instead of birth certificate and was advised I should take a copy along to US to use for my AOS and now same document has been termed insufficient proof of birth in the notification I got today from USCIS.

I was required to supply more evidence from government of Nigeria and a supporting letter from my church or school in Nigeria and I have 87 days to submit else my case will be denied. I am at a loss and don't know what to do.

Also, my wife's i-864 was termed insufficient because she didn't make so much last year as she was out of job for about 9 months and I was advised to get a co-sponsor that will also fill form i-864. We are thinking to use her brother who is also a citizen.

My 90 days stay expires tomorrow 15th March.

Of all the topics I have read here and other immigration blog, I did not come across any case that looks or sounds like mine. Now, am confused on what step to take because the government of Nigeria doesn't give more than the Birth Attestation and I can only source for my church or school supporting letter.

I need your advice people.

Hi, you can go to the national population commission in Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria. They will you a letter to support your age declaration. I just received mine. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi, you can go to the national population commission in Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria. They will you a letter to support your age declaration. I just received mine. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Timeline

Can you get someone to get a sealed one for you? My fiance had the affidavit from the local government and the NPC attestation has a seal and was initialed and dated on the back of the seal. Maybe there is an online service that can get it for you.

Thanks. I have sent someone to help inquire at NPC for me and what they can give. And seriously hoping it turns out fine. I have also requested for the Local Government letter with a seal so hoping all turns out well. Went through NPC's online service and realized there's no online service that can fix anything except their state offices.

Timeline

wow so my future fiance was born in 1990 , does that mean she should be able to get a npc cert issued correct

No. She will be given Attestation that I received. So she should start getting other documents to support it so she doesn't find herself in my situation right now.

Timeline

No. She will be given Attestation that I received. So she should start getting other documents to support it so she doesn't find herself in my situation right now.

Im so confused on this thing ppl arent very clear

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.