Canadiangal123

Officially/publicly engaged this weekend! But we filed for K1 1.5 weeks ago...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I am excited to announce that this weekend I became officially (And publicly) engaged to my Fiance!

The thing is, we filed our K1 visa a week and a half ago. In the 134a question, My fiance wrote that we were engaged New Years Eve because he did ask me to marry him but he did not have a ring at the time and at this point we REALLY were so close anyway and knew that it was to come and knew that we want to be together and file for K1 visa so that we can get married etc etc.

Every time he crosses the border for the past 6+ months he would say he was going to see his fiancee because well, we just though of ourselves that way.

I am just worried because if I get NOA and want to provide more proof of the relationship, I COULD show them screenshots of our engagement announcement from this weekend but I don't want them to find that suspicious and think we are lying. My fiance just didn't have the money at the time for the ring he was set on getting me and we were not eager to share the news with our family and friends until now.

This screenshot would be perfect though because it shows all of our family and friends commenting and congratulating us.

If this seems like a bad idea, does anyone know of any other surefire evidence that could be provided? Even if we get an RFE. We are very nervous because since I live in Canada and he comes every 2-3 weeks, we just didnt bother getting the passport stamped. Only got it stamped once. Can they check with the border how many times he passed? Or can he have them send him a record of that?
We have sent them tons of pics of us but all printed. I have a disposable camera that i've started taking pics of us on if it comes to needing more proof. Just not sure what else they may expect.

If anyone could give some advice about this, that would be greatly appreciated as I am not wanting to do anything that might jeopardize this. If we were denied the visa over this, I don't know what I'd do :blush:

Thank you! :star:

Jamie & Charlie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You're fine. Engagement isn't a legal status, it's simply a personal agreement between two people to get married. Whether or not you two came to that agreement sometime before it was officially announced to the public or a ring was given is irrelevant to USCIS. If you thought of yourselves that way, then you were. The intent to marry statements that you included when the application was sent is all USCIS cares about.

What evidence proving you met in person did you initially send with your application?

Timeline

We initially sent:

-about 8 pics, written on the back was where they were taken, when and who's in them.

- Passport pics taken at the same time, same date at the same location with a stamp on the back (We thought this could double as proof since we were together when we got them.)

- photocopy of the one passport stamp he got from entering Canada the one time

- printed copy of the plane ticket that was emailed to him. (We met while he was in Texas and he moved to Michigan to be closer to me)

- screenshots of Facebook convos and Skype screenshots showing call lengths

I believe that's it for proof of genuine relationship/proof of having met.

Also had some screenshots of convos I had with his sister and mom.

Do you think we will be OK? Thanks <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

We initially sent:

-about 8 pics, written on the back was where they were taken, when and who's in them.

- Passport pics taken at the same time, same date at the same location with a stamp on the back (We thought this could double as proof since we were together when we got them.)

- photocopy of the one passport stamp he got from entering Canada the one time

- printed copy of the plane ticket that was emailed to him. (We met while he was in Texas and he moved to Michigan to be closer to me)

- screenshots of Facebook convos and Skype screenshots showing call lengths

I believe that's it for proof of genuine relationship/proof of having met.

Also had some screenshots of convos I had with his sister and mom.

Do you think we will be OK? Thanks <3

Since the stamp is on the back of the pic. did you still write the name on the back of the photos?

Timeline

I don't remember to be honest - I am leaning more towards no. I will have to ask my fiancé if he maybe thought to write it before sending the package. He said he triple quadruple checked everything before sending but I doubt that occurred to him :(

Is there a certain amount of RFEs that you can get? Can they flat out just say no & If so can you refute it?

I guess I could google and/or try to look in past forum posts but if you know off hand that would be helpful as Im at work atm :) thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't remember to be honest - I am leaning more towards no. I will have to ask my fiancé if he maybe thought to write it before sending the package. He said he triple quadruple checked everything before sending but I doubt that occurred to him :(

Is there a certain amount of RFEs that you can get? Can they flat out just say no & If so can you refute it?

I guess I could google and/or try to look in past forum posts but if you know off hand that would be helpful as Im at work atm :) thanks

If you haven't done it then yes you'll most likely get an RFE for it. Someone from January just got an RFE for it. So if he hasn't then just have 2 new pictures ready with names on the back and then when you get the RFE you can respond right away and save time :)

No issues. Matt proposed to me over Skype in Jan and then in "real time" in April. We used the January date.

Don't sweat an RFE, they will send a letter requesting exactly what information is needed. We got an RFE, responded, and within a week were approved.

RFE aren't always a bad thing.. it means someone is actually working on your case.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Don't stress about it too much. If what you sent already isn't enough evidence, they'll send a RFE and that's not the end of the world. They'll state what more they need and if it is proof of relationship, the engagement pictures will be perfect. I think you'll be fine anyway.

Good luck!

It shouldn't be an issue.

We applied for k1 August 2014 but we only formally got engaged (ring, announcing to friends) in October 2014 (in Niagara Falls, Canada :) ).

Technically you are engaged when you apply for k1, because you both sign a letter saying you're intending to get married to each other - and that's what being engaged is.

So don't worry about it, your situation is common and not an issue.

And you're in Detroit Michigan... I don't think its going to be hard to convince USCIS that its a genuine relationship since you're just across the border... I can't see anyone doubting your situation.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.