emily29

Is there any better time estimate?

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post, so apologies if this is a question that gets asked frequently. My fiancé and I are just now starting the process of filling out the K1 Visa application and gathering our supporting evidence. I am reaching out to see if there is any way to have a better idea of the timeline for this application.

My fiancé is in Sweden, and is trying to finish a project for work. He doesn't want to leave there before it is finished and leave it in someone else's lap. He tends to think that the process will be quicker, and that the low end of the time estimate is more realistic, while I am not so optimistic, and fear that it will take much longer than we anticipate.

I was just hoping to get an idea of how long this process takes realistically, because he doesn't want to submit things too soon, and be approved before he's ready to leave. He doesn't want to miss the deadline to come over, and have to restart the process again.

If anyone could give me some feedback as far as this issue, I would really appreciate it. It's stressful trying to match a vague timeline up with the reality of our own time constraints!

Thanks so much,

Emily

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Stockholm have been quick, slowed a bit down but are still quick. BUT since we book our own medical and interview he can just push it back a little and not rush it. After he has the visa he has 6 months from the medical to enter the US.

Right now it's probably 3-4 months for a K-1 from Stockholm embassy. But again he can control it a bit himself so it takes a bit longer.

Here is the group for the Scandinavians :)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/185-scandinavians/page-245#entry8029305

Thank you very much for this reply! I feel a lot better knowing that things move more quickly from Stockholm! I guess I assumed that the typical "9 months to a year" estimate was just a general estimate for anyone. I guess I assumed that the majority of the time was based more on the American side of things.

Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thank you very much for this reply! I feel a lot better knowing that things move more quickly from Stockholm! I guess I assumed that the typical "9 months to a year" estimate was just a general estimate for anyone. I guess I assumed that the majority of the time was based more on the American side of things.

Thanks again!

I guess you guys need to figure out when he'll be done with his job so you can use that timeline to when you should apply :)

It all depends on how fast the service center is at that particular time. As noted you can extend the time period by booking your interview far out in advance and by utilizing the 6 months from medical (don't have it too early) visa validity.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It all depends on how fast the service center is at that particular time. As noted you can extend the time period by booking your interview far out in advance and by utilizing the 6 months from medical (don't have it too early) visa validity.

So, I was aware of the validity for 6 months, but what (if any) is the time limit as far as booking an interview and medical exam? Is that just a matter of as long as you book one, it will stay in process?

Generally the NOA2 (approval notice if approved) is valid for 4 months. Most often an embassy or consulate will automatically extend the validity of thr NOA2 if you must rebook your interview or the chosen date is past the valid until date. However once at that stage you should contact them to be sure.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.