joey-roseanne

getting a social security #

9 posts in this topic

hey guys! i need some help here..i wanted to apply for ss # to be part of my husband's health insurance..i'm not planning to work or anything but i applied for EAD with my AOS..i just receive the notice of action last week..will i be qualified to apply for that with just a notice of action on hand?coz according to what i read they need the form I-551 as proof of status.

post-28705-1173649523_thumb.jpg

They'll need to see your actual green card or EAD. If you check the SS website, it says that a notice is not good enough.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Are you sure that you need a social security number to be added to his health insurance? I was told the same thing by my insurance provider and when I pressed they added her with my marriage certificate. I carried her on my insurance for seven months prior to her entering the US on her K-3 visa.

T

hey guys! i need some help here..i wanted to apply for ss # to be part of my husband's health insurance..i'm not planning to work or anything but i applied for EAD with my AOS..i just receive the notice of action last week..will i be qualified to apply for that with just a notice of action on hand?coz according to what i read they need the form I-551 as proof of status.

Are you sure that you need a social security number to be added to his health insurance? I was told the same thing by my insurance provider and when I pressed they added her with my marriage certificate. I carried her on my insurance for seven months prior to her entering the US on her K-3 visa.

T

yeah they do! coz they said i have to apply for the insurance myself & afterwards they're just gonna add me to my husband's..so theres no any way i can have a social sec. #?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My insurance company put Jomo on our insurance with just his Visa number.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

I suppose that each insurance company may operate differently, but I was able to add my wife to my health insurance with no SS#. I simply had to fax them a copy of our (US) marriage certificate.

Ciao.

Len - USA

Lydia - Spain

She and I married in the US while she was here on a tourist visa

CIS Office : Tampa FL

09-27-2006 -- Entered USA as Tourist

11-21-2006 -- Wedding Day

12-19-2006 -- I-130 Sent

12-28-2006 -- I-130 NOA1

03-13-2006 -- I-130 Aproved

12-19-2006 -- I-485 Sent

12-28-2006 -- I-485 NOA

01-11-2007 -- I-485 RFE

02-08-2007 -- Biometrics

03-13-2007 -- Interview == Now Awaiting FBI Namecheck

03-16-2007 -- Adv. Parole Sent

04-03-2007 -- NOA

04-06-2007 -- Check Cashed

What health insurance company is it? They can probably use a dummy SS number until you have one. I would call them and be assertive in getting them to accomodate you.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

What health insurance company is it? They can probably use a dummy SS number until you have one. I would call them and be assertive in getting them to accomodate you.

yeah! after i posted this & receive some replies i told my husband to call kaiser again..we spoke to another representative & sent me the form with no hassle..thanks to all of you guys!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually, I do not believe (anymore) that they need you actual Green Card or EAD card to grant you a Social Security Card. My situation is a little different, but here are the facts:

She came here on a K-1 and we applied and received her SSC shortly after she arrived. It was in her maiden name.

After we got married and received the NOA for her Adjustment of Status and her EAD, we went back to the SSA in December 2006, to just changer her name on her SSC to her new married name. We had the NOAs and the Marriage Certificate. They tried to look up her immigration status in the computer system, and it did not give a proper status as her K-1 visa had expired and her AOS or EAD had not been approved yet. At first they said that she could not even apply for a name change and told us to go away. I pushed and pushe tehm and involved a supervisor and got out the procedures and determined that they can not refuse an application for a SSC or in my case a name change (although a name change is like issuing a completely new card). They told us that they could not process it without the USCIS telling them it is okay to do so and the computer did not provide that information. They said that would have to send the hard copy documentation to USCIS to determine if they can issue a card. I said GREAT! Do it!

Ad guess what????? Just today, my wife received a letter in the mail (addressed in her new married name) from the SSA that said she should be receiving her Social Card in the next 2 weeks! oday we also received a letter from USCIS scheduling the AOS interview. A coincidence?? Maybe, but for some reason, I do not think so.

I should also, mentioned that her EAD was approved in Jamuary.

Perhaps this will help someone. The SSC is important, because in SC you can not get a Driver's License without one.

Devereux

They'll need to see your actual green card or EAD. If you check the SS website, it says that a notice is not good enough.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.