Rangm021

How to use Automobile as asset on Affidavit of Support

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello!

I am currently in the process of filling out all necessary paperwork for adjustment of status. Because my husband's income is less than 125% of the poverty line, we will be using assets. Because he have three cars, we would like to use two as assets. I understand that the total value of the assets must be 3X the amount that we are short on income (my husband is a U.S. Citizen). My question is: how do I show proof of ownership and value of the vehicles?

AOS Package Sent: March 30, 2016

AOS Package Received: March 31, 2016

NOA Received by Mail: April 7, 2016

Biometrics Appointment: May 10, 2016

Biometrics Walk-In: May 9, 2016

Interview Scheduled: July 14, 2016

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

copy of the title showing no liens, photo of the car and the printout from kbb.com showing the value. I suggest you use their wholesale value, as more conservative

Or, take it to Car Max, if there is one near you. they will write you a purchase offer.

You can't use cars, houses which you are driving/living in as assets.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

You can't use cars, houses which you are driving/living in as assets.

How can that be if the instructions explicitly say that you CAN use an automobile, as long as you have MORE THAN ONE, and it can be sold within one calendar year?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

From the form instructions:

"Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owner’s claim of its net cash value. You may include the net value of your home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home, minus the sum of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include the net value of your home, then you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. You may not include the net value of an automobile unless you show that you have more than one automobile, and at least one automobile is not included as an asset."

As the OP said, no intent to use the main car as an asset, only the extra ones.

That's why I said cars you are driving. Only parked car, fact is really difficult to prove so. Please read.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

From the form instructions:

"Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owner’s claim of its net cash value. You may include the net value of your home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home, minus the sum of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include the net value of your home, then you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. You may not include the net value of an automobile unless you show that you have more than one automobile, and at least one automobile is not included as an asset."

As the OP said, no intent to use the main car as an asset, only the extra ones.

Thank you very much for your response! It was very clear and descriptive, and exactly what I wanted to know! It is greatly appreciated :)

Timeline

That's why I said cars you are driving. Only parked car, fact is really difficult to prove so. Please read.

I did read your response :) But it provided no relevant answer to what I originally asked. I am aware of which cars I am able to use; I merely wanted to know how to prove ownership and value :) Thank you for your time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.