one...two...tree

Republicans seek to 'neuter' new global warming committee

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Speaker Pelosi created a new House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming -- much to the chagrin of Republicans who apparently think the environment is a partisan issues.

ThinkProgress writes, "Unable to block the creation of the committee, House conservative leaders are now doing everything they can to neuter it. Conservative leadership aides reportedly told Republican members that a vote in favor of the bill creating the global warming panel 'would put them out of running for a seat' on the panel."

That's right. The committee was voted into existence 269 to 150, with 44 Republicans voting in favor. But how many of those Republicans who are in support of a committee dedicated to climate change were appointed by Republicans to be a part of the effort? Just one -- Greg Walden of Oregon.

The Republican's ranking member of the committee will be James Sensenbrenner (WI), long regarded as one of those "climate skeptics" like Inhofe.

But he's sadly not alone -- apparently only 13 percent of Republicans believe global warming is caused by human activity (compared to 95 percent of Democrats). It seems the GOP is more than a little out of touch with where nearly 80 percent of Americans stand on the issue.

At this point, it is time we change the language that is used to refer to people like Sensenbrenner and Inhofe and the rest of their Republican cohorts. Using the word "skeptic" to describe those folks who are preventing progress on addressing a global crisis that will affect the environment, health, security, and way of life for billions of people is just plain criminal.

The science is in -- there is no longer anything to be skeptical about except, perhaps, why these climate foes were elected in the first place.

Tara Lohan is a managing editor at AlterNet.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Neuter

The word neuter can refer to:

the property of being neither biologically male or female

the sterilization of an animal, neutering

as a noun, a desexed male dog or other animal

the neuter grammatical gender

(")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuter

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Good! It's about time the Reps showed they have some backbone to counter this global warming nonsense.

Aaarrghhhhh! *******!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe people still don't gett this!

Do you really think it's a conspiracy?

I hope you get on board soon.

Otherwise you may infect others with this scepticism!

Together we can save this planet

So please listen to what the majority of scientists are saying!

!

!

!

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

But he's sadly not alone -- apparently only 13 percent of Republicans believe global warming is caused by human activity (compared to 95 percent of Democrats). It seems the GOP is more than a little out of touch with where nearly 80 percent of Americans stand on the issue.

Global Warming is politics.

CO2 is plant food. 4% of CO2 is produced by humans and 96% by the earth (volcanoes etc..)

Why isn't Al Gore's house off the grid yet? What a hypocrite.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Global Warming is politics.

CO2 is plant food. 4% of CO2 is produced by humans and 96% by the earth (volcanoes etc..)

Why isn't Al Gore's house off the grid yet? What a hypocrite.

Soooooo that makes 100%.

Err....last time i checked nobody, not even rogue scientists or republicans, claimed thawe only produce 4%.

Yes CO2 is plant food but when you, and i mean the human race, cut down sooo many trees where does that extra co2 go? There is not enough plantlife left to absorb all thee extra co2 we produce.

K-1 Visa Journey

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

I just don't get it. How can people not get this?? I don't give a ####### if Al Gore is a hypocrite or not. It's not an Al Gore issue.

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Soooooo that makes 100%.

Err....last time i checked nobody, not even rogue scientists or republicans, claimed thawe only produce 4%.

Yes CO2 is plant food but when you, and i mean the human race, cut down sooo many trees where does that extra co2 go? There is not enough plantlife left to absorb all thee extra co2 we produce.

Do you live in the city or the country? Most city dwellers look around and assume the whole planet looks the same as their city. Most of the USA is empty space (only vegetation) as is the world. When you drive between cities you are usually on an urban corridor too. It is true that cities don't use up much CO2.

most cities are liberal=global warming is politics

Gun control is the same way. Most city folk see no reason to own a gun because there is a cop on every corner. They need to get out more.

Why isn't Al Gore's house off the grid yet?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline
Soooooo that makes 100%.

Do you live in the city or the country? Most city dwellers look around and assume the whole planet looks the same as their city. Most of the USA is empty space (only vegetation) as is the world. When you drive between cities you are usually on an urban corridor too. It is true that cities don't use up much CO2.

Gun control is the same way. Most city folk see no reason to own a gun because there is a cop on every corner. They need to get out more.

I grew up in the countyside. In a lush green countyside. I still believe in global warming as a man made issue......and gun control but thats a separate issue. Maybe we should start a thread on that.

K-1 Visa Journey

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

Soooooo that makes 100%.

I grew up in the countyside. In a lush green countyside. I still believe in global warming as a man made issue......and gun control but thats a separate issue. Maybe we should start a thread on that.

(forget gun control)

So..... what caused the many global warming periods before the evil humans invaded the planet?

Ummm that would be the sun. The daddy of all heat sources.

Global warming has finally been explained: the Earth is getting hotter because the Sun is burning more brightly than at any time during the past 1,000 years, according to new research.

Liberal politicians control people through taxes. They want to create a carbon tax. Conservatives want to control people in other ways. I'm actually honest. I'm a free thinking Libertarian. Unlike most of the left and Al Gore. Al Gore and energy is like a 400 lb guy telling you you need to lose 5 lbs.

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline
Soooooo that makes 100%.

(forget gun control)

So..... what caused the many global warming periods before the evil humans invaded the planet?

Ummm that would be the sun. The daddy of all heat sources.

Global warming has finally been explained: the Earth is getting hotter because the Sun is burning more brightly than at any time during the past 1,000 years, according to new research.

Liberal politicians control people through taxes. They want to create a carbon tax. Conservatives want to control people in other ways. I'm actually honest. I'm a free thinking Libertarian. Unlike most of the left and Al Gore. Al Gore and energy is like a 400 lb guy telling you you need to lose 5 lbs.

Its been said before....it's not a an al gore issue.

Do you mean to say that deforestation and burning fossil fuels have no

Impact on global warming?

Oh....it's just a coincidence that we aree currently off the scale with regard

To the usual cyclical warming periods? At a time when we are doing something thatt we weren't doing,

Surprisingly, during the last warming periods?

K-1 Visa Journey

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

To the usual cyclical warming periods? At a time when we are doing something thatt we weren't doing,

The temp of the planet goes up and then it goes down. It's been going on for millions of years. It is the hight of egotism to assume that this time it's caused by us. It's just a power play by the left to control and tax us. I do not now nor will I ever believe that human actions are changing the planets temp. I will not accept this latest attempt by the left to impose yet another tax on us.

Filed: Timeline

"Global warming" is just the latest episode in the liberal crusade to redistribute income.

A carbon tax is a tax on energy sources which emit carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. It is an example of pollution taxes, which some economists favor because they tax a "bad" rather than a "good" (such as income).

[...]

Because of the link with global warming, a carbon tax is sometimes assumed to require an internationally administered scheme; that is not intrinsic to the principle, however. The European Union has discussed a carbon tax covering its member states to supplement the carbon emissions trading scheme begun in January 2005.

[...]

The purpose of a carbon tax is environmental, to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide and thereby slow global warming. It can be implemented by taxing the burning of fossil fuels — coal, petroleum products such as gasoline and aviation fuel, and natural gas — in proportion to their carbon content.

[...]

In addition to creating incentives for energy conservation, a carbon tax would put renewable energy sources such as wind, solar and geothermal on a more competitive footing stimulating their growth.

[...]

... the regressivity of a carbon tax could be minimized or eliminated by allocating the tax revenues to benefit the less affluent. Wealthier households use more energy, on average — they drive and fly more, have bigger (and sometimes multiple) houses, and buy more products that require energy to manufacture and use. Most carbon tax revenues will therefore come from families of above-average means, as well as corporations and government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tax

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

I don't believe, nor shall I, that the world is round. That's just a ruse by the left to make me pay more taxes. Preposterous!

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

The temp of the planet goes up and then it goes down. It's been going on for millions of years. It is the hight of egotism to assume that this time it's caused by us. It's just a power play by the left to control and tax us. I do not now nor will I ever believe that human actions are changing the planets temp. I will not accept this latest attempt by the left to impose yet another tax on us.

So it's a conspiracy? Seriously? Clearly no one is going to convince those who despise Al Gore that this is more than a liberal attempt to get more taxes. I just know that I'll do what I can. What's the harm in using a light bulb that will last for 7 years? Because it just MIGHT be a sign that you're 'buying into' the global warming conspiracy?? :lol:

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC