MayAnh

Deciding between K1 and CR1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My boyfriend and I want to get married but because we live in two different countries (I am the US citizen) we want to choose the option that lets us be together the fastest with the least amount of potential difficulties. He is living/working in Vietnam and has the option to go with an H-1 (his company will sponsor him) or I can apply for the K-1 or CR-1 to sponsor him. I am a graduate student so timing isn't as flexible as we'd like, and I am graduating in June 2016 (with no income until until I begin working in late August 2016). Does anyone have any advice or experience with applying for a K-1 or a CR-1 with Vietnam and how long/how complicated it was?

Some background: My boyfriend, although lives/works in Vietnam went to high school in the US and got his BA in the US. Traveling on a B1/2 visa has never been a problem.

Options:

H1-B (He applies now and finds out in late April before I graduate, but there is a 2/3 chance he won't get this because of the visa lottery)

K-1 (We apply now and have to wait for him to obtain the visa in September/October)

CR-1 (We get married in Vietnam in July and could live together for a year there potentially--however this could be difficult with my work because of the timing) However I have heard that establishing domicile with this option is a gray area, so does anyone have any experience with this?

-Which option is fastest and most importantly the least likely to give us trouble?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

K1 is fastest, if you can get someone to be co-sponsor. He could still try for the H1B even while the K1 is in process.

My question would be what your plan is for after you graduate? From what you are writing, would you like to move abroad for a while? If so, getting married in Vietnam and living abroad for however long you want, and applying for the CR-1 a year before you are ready to move back, will be best, as the K1 would mean no travelling for him for several months.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Do nothing until you graduate and have an income. K-1 is rough and tough, but quick (we did it in four months beginning to end). You need an income.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

K1 and yes u need a co sponsor, We filed last year in Sept 2014, Approved in Oct 2014, She arrived in the States March 2015, Got her green card in Oct 2015 through AOS process.

K-1 Visa Timeline

I-129F Received : 2014-08-29

NOA1 : 2014-09-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-07

NVC Received : 2014-10-30

Paid visa fee $265 : 2014-11-19

Submitted DS-160 Form 2014-11-19

Interview scheduled - 2015-1-22

Visa Issued and in Hand on 2015-1-31!!       

AOS Timeline

Mailed out AOS Package to USCIS to Chicago Lockbox with tracking and signature 2015-05-09

Received email and text notification of AOS package 2015-05-15

Received hard copy of NOA1's for 3 AOS packet 2015-05-21

Successful Biometrics walk in SF Field Office on 2015-06-03

Got email notification AOS interview scheduled on 2015-09-03

Green Card in Hand - 2015-10-14!!! YAY!!!

I-751 ( ROC )

July 8, 2017 mailed I-751 packet via USPS Priority Mail with Tracking #

July 10th, 2017 I-751 Package was delivered to PO Box to USCIS Laguna Niguel

July 12, 2017  Check cashed from CSC

July 13, 2017 Received NOA1 in the mail, NOA1 Dated July 10th

February 26, 2018 case transferred to local office

August 17, 2018 Received new extension letter

September 19, 2018 Case transferred and new office has jurisdiction

September 24th, 2018 Received case transfer notice in the mail to Texas Center

October 17, 2018 Card in Production APPROVED!!! WHOO-WHOO!!!!:dance::dance:

NO RFE or Interview on ROC I751!!!

October 22nd, 2018 USPS tracking updated GC to arrive on Oct 24th!

October 23rd, 2018 Green Card in Hand!!

N-400

Dec 15th, 2018 Filed online and got NOA1

Dec 21st, 2018 Biometrics Appointment scheduled online scheduled for Jan 9th 2019

Jan 2nd, 2019 Successful Biometrics walk in

September 27, 2019 Interview Scheduled for Nov 8, 2019

Interview on Nov 8, 2019 Passed! :dance::wow:

Oath Ceremony scheduled on Dec 12, 2019

Attended Oath Ceremony Officially a US Citizen! :wow::dance:

Applied for US Passport Dec 12th, 2019

Passport in hand on Jan 17th, 2020

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My boyfriend and I want to get married but because we live in two different countries (I am the US citizen) we want to choose the option that lets us be together the fastest with the least amount of potential difficulties. He is living/working in Vietnam and has the option to go with an H-1 (his company will sponsor him) or I can apply for the K-1 or CR-1 to sponsor him. I am a graduate student so timing isn't as flexible as we'd like, and I am graduating in June 2016 (with no income until until I begin working in late August 2016). Does anyone have any advice or experience with applying for a K-1 or a CR-1 with Vietnam and how long/how complicated it was?

Some background: My boyfriend, although lives/works in Vietnam went to high school in the US and got his BA in the US. Traveling on a B1/2 visa has never been a problem.

Options:

H1-B (He applies now and finds out in late April before I graduate, but there is a 2/3 chance he won't get this because of the visa lottery)

K-1 (We apply now and have to wait for him to obtain the visa in September/October)

CR-1 (We get married in Vietnam in July and could live together for a year there potentially--however this could be difficult with my work because of the timing) However I have heard that establishing domicile with this option is a gray area, so does anyone have any experience with this?

-Which option is fastest and most importantly the least likely to give us trouble?

Em oi,

Where do you want to live and work? If you don't want to go live in VN and give up your work, then don't.

Let the company apply for the H1-b. You apply for the K-1. You can do both. You are not limited to one or the other. If he gets either visa, then your life together is here in the US. If he doesn't get either, then you can go and marry in VN, return home to your work and apply for the CR-1 visa.

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you all! To follow up: I would prefer to start in the US and finding a co-sponsor wouldn't be a problem if we started the paperwork before I begin working.

For those of you who say K-1 is better, how were you able to complete the process to get the K-1 (not the actual green card, but I mean from the initial filing until the fiance is granted entry)--how were you able to complete the process so quickly? We were told it would take 9 months to get a K-1 visa.

Still, it is helpful to know we can have both H-1 and K-1 open at the same time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Its not a matter how quickly the process is but front loading your petition and getting all you paperwork ready without any RFEs and of course if your boyfriend as all his paperwork in VN ready with coffee money does help. If your lucky in Ca the CSC processing is very quick then goes to NVC then to VN Embassy and the interview. Each case varies but the important thing is passing the interview and granting the K1 visa.

K-1 Visa Timeline

I-129F Received : 2014-08-29

NOA1 : 2014-09-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-07

NVC Received : 2014-10-30

Paid visa fee $265 : 2014-11-19

Submitted DS-160 Form 2014-11-19

Interview scheduled - 2015-1-22

Visa Issued and in Hand on 2015-1-31!!       

AOS Timeline

Mailed out AOS Package to USCIS to Chicago Lockbox with tracking and signature 2015-05-09

Received email and text notification of AOS package 2015-05-15

Received hard copy of NOA1's for 3 AOS packet 2015-05-21

Successful Biometrics walk in SF Field Office on 2015-06-03

Got email notification AOS interview scheduled on 2015-09-03

Green Card in Hand - 2015-10-14!!! YAY!!!

I-751 ( ROC )

July 8, 2017 mailed I-751 packet via USPS Priority Mail with Tracking #

July 10th, 2017 I-751 Package was delivered to PO Box to USCIS Laguna Niguel

July 12, 2017  Check cashed from CSC

July 13, 2017 Received NOA1 in the mail, NOA1 Dated July 10th

February 26, 2018 case transferred to local office

August 17, 2018 Received new extension letter

September 19, 2018 Case transferred and new office has jurisdiction

September 24th, 2018 Received case transfer notice in the mail to Texas Center

October 17, 2018 Card in Production APPROVED!!! WHOO-WHOO!!!!:dance::dance:

NO RFE or Interview on ROC I751!!!

October 22nd, 2018 USPS tracking updated GC to arrive on Oct 24th!

October 23rd, 2018 Green Card in Hand!!

N-400

Dec 15th, 2018 Filed online and got NOA1

Dec 21st, 2018 Biometrics Appointment scheduled online scheduled for Jan 9th 2019

Jan 2nd, 2019 Successful Biometrics walk in

September 27, 2019 Interview Scheduled for Nov 8, 2019

Interview on Nov 8, 2019 Passed! :dance::wow:

Oath Ceremony scheduled on Dec 12, 2019

Attended Oath Ceremony Officially a US Citizen! :wow::dance:

Applied for US Passport Dec 12th, 2019

Passport in hand on Jan 17th, 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.