Edward&Wendy

I-864 - tax return for most recent tax year issue

18 posts in this topic

Sorry to bump this post but ot relates to my dilemma.

We recently got an RFE requesting a joint sponsor, we have found one but his taxes are yet to be filed for this year. He is filing them tomorrow electronically tomorrow. (I assume he got an extension, if he did not then I believe we need a new sponsor).

According to the USCIS memos posted by Damara above, we are fine but according to the Nick-Nich we are not.

We were planning on submitting the just filed tax return, the extension and six months of recent pay stubbs. Normally I would just send it and get everything ready in case of an RFE but as this is an RFE (60 days to respond from today), failure to respond adequately may result in denial.

What should I do? I feel as though finding another sponsor would be best. Any advice?

And what would happen if they were not satisfied with my response to the RFE, would they send another RFE or straight deny?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Submit what you stated. Be sure the tax return is complete though, with all forms, schedules, attachments, W-2s and/or 1099s. It should include everything you would have to send into the IRS if you were filing through the mail.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 7 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I am a bit late but can someone explain me how to update a form I-864 for the interview? I will have to bring an update AOS if my interview is after tax day but I can't find anywhere how to update it. Do we just download it from USCIS, fill it again, print it and bring it to the interview? I am so confused

Edited by DictumFactum

USCIS

I-130 Sent: 05-02-2016

I-130 NOA1: 05-10-2016

I-130 Approved: 07-14-2016

NVC

NVC Received: 08-10-2016

Pay AOS Bill: 10-03-2016

Pay IV Bill: 10-03-2016

Submit DS-260: 11-01-2016

Send AOS & IV Package: 12-02-2016 

Scan Date: 12-28-2016

Supervisor Review: 02-08-2017

Case Complete: 03-01-2017

Interview Date: 04-05-2017 APPROVED 😁

Visa Received: 04-10-2017

POE: 05-09-2017

SSN Received: 06-06-2017

Green Card Received: 06-23-2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.