panda-and-penguin

K-1 vs DCF

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hello,
My chinese girlfriend and I just discovered the site today and are trying to think about what is the best option for us as we plan our future together.
I am here in China on tourist visa but living with my girlfriend in her condo in Xiamen. I will be traveling back to the US for a month then coming back to stay with her again indefinitely. My tourist visa requires me to leave the country every 60 days (just go to Hong Kong and back). I work remotely as a freelancer for different companies in the US.
If I come and stay with her for 6 months and we are married during that time, can we go the DCF route? Even though I am leaving China every 60 days and here on a tourist visa? Or do we have to go the K-1 route? If we do the DCF route, is there some paper trail I should be gather while I'm staying here?
Thanks for the help, love the site!
All the best,
Panda

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As of Dec., 2011, the six month requirement was DROPPED from the consulate's website at http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/i-130-petition-for-alien-relative.html, but it LIVES ON, on other web sites, including VJ.

You will be required to simply prove that you LIVE in a province under the Consulate's jurisdiction.

Bring:

Evidence of the petitioner’s residence in China. This may include:

• A Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People’s Republic of China (居住许可).
  • A Chinese visa (签证) in the categories of D, J1, Q1, S1, X1 or Z.
  • Please note that U.S. citizens whose principal residence is not China and/or are abroad for a short-term visit as a tourist or on business must file their I-130 petition with the Chicago Lockbox. For example, temporary travelers under L, M or F Chinese visas will generally not qualify for direct filing with the Guangzhou Field Office.
Edited by RandyW

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

To add onto what RandyW has posted, you are currently on an L Visa, and you may get away with it a couple times exiting and re-entering, but after doing this several times, you will find yourself pulled aside and questioned by Chinese Immigration, China currently has an issue just like the US with undocumented foreigners currently working in China under L Visa's exiting and re-entering. L Visa's were not issued with the intent of permanent residence. Doing what you plan to do (I know you are working for US companies) will end up getting you in a lot of trouble with Chinese Immigration (which can lead to fines, jail time, and deportation).

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

Thank you all for the replies. I am on an L visa. We were looking at what would be involved to get a Q Visa but it looks like more paperwork than I want to deal with here in China. We are thinking of going the K1 route.

Chris.M thank you for pointing this out. So far, I haven't had any issues at Chinese Immigration.

Panda

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.