mm2

Form I-130- do I need to provide an affidavit of marriage by third party/affidavit of sworn

4 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello,

I am submitting my green card documents with all of the forms. For the I-130 form, do I need to include an" affidavit of marriage by third party/affidavit of sworn" to prove that the marriage is real? I am submitting a copy of the marriage certificate and a copy of the lease showing tenancy of common residency. Do I still need the third party letter?

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

You don't need to provide a third part affidavit to prove the marriage is real.

A certified copy of your marriage certificate should be enough. You should also probably provide a bit more evidence to prove that it is a bona fide marriage, if you have it.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas - topic is AOS from F-1, not K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

An affidavit isn't required - it's just another potential piece of evidence you can use to strengthen your argument that your marriage is "real." It's important to clarify what is meant by a "real" marriage though. One document, the marriage certificate, shows that the marriage actually, legally, occurred. However evidence such as the joint lease - and any potential affidavits you may include - show that the marriage is in good-faith and that the relationship is an honest one. It sounds like you already know the difference, but I think it's worth pointing out.

The marriage certificate is all you need to prove you're legally married. There is nothing else you could possibly add to strengthen that case. However, when it comes to proving your marriage is in good-faith, you need a variety of evidence - the more the better (to a point). The joint lease is a good start, but things like wedding photos (especially showing the immigrant with the USC's family!) are in my opinion the strongest evidence you can have. Phone records (showing you called one another a lot), Skype call history, chat logs, vacation photos, and joint financial assets/liabilities are also good evidence. My wife and I included our marriage certificate, phone records, joint tax return, vacation photos, an affidavit from my mother (I'm the USC), and wedding photos. At the interview the officer barely glanced at the marriage certificate, very briefly thumbed through the phone records, tax return, and affidavit, and then spent almost all of her time looking through the photos. She especially focused on the family wedding photos, and asked several questions about them.

Anyway, my advice is to include a variety of evidence, and be sure that at least some of it includes photos. Good luck! It'll be easier than you think :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.