POM

AOS interview tomorrow: last minute checklist

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greenland
Timeline

Tomorrow is the day..i'm finishing up the file to bring into the AOS interview tomorrow. Please critique the evidence list and let me know if i'm missing any critical items that might be needed for a satisfactory outcome.

-Birth Certificates

-DMV issued Driver License

-Passports

-EAD/AP combo card

-Certified marriage certificate

Evidence of bonafide marriage:

-Lease agreement with both names on it

-Joint Checking/savings account statements

-Joint Credit cards(2)

-Vehicle title with joint ownership

-Auto Insurance card with both names on it

-Vehicle registration with both names on it

-Family gym membership contract agreement with both names on it.

-2 photo albums..one from when we were dating and one created after marriage w/ wedding photos

-box full of polaroid photo collection from the past 4 years of our lives

-Hotel reservation confirmation printouts

-Travel itinerary over the years via Amtrak

Spoiler
Adjustment Of Status:

06/25/2015: AOS/EAD/AP package Sent to USCIS

06/30/2015: Package received
07/03/2015: NOA1 hard copies received
07/10/2015: Biometrics appointment letter received
07/18/2015: RFE notice
07/23/2015: Biometrics appointment
07/24/2015: RFE hardcopy received
07/27/2015: RFE response sent via USPS express
07/29/2015: RFE received
08/24/2015: EAD/AP Card production/Approved
08/28/2015: EAD approval letter received
08/28/2015: EAD/AP Card Mailed
08/31/2015: EAD/AP Card received
09/03/2015: Applied for SSN
09/11/2015: SSN received
11/30/2015: AOS interview (no decision)
02/20/2016: RFE2: New medical
02/25/2016: New Medical completed/submitted
03/04/2016: Approved/Card Production
03/08/2016: Green card mailed
03/11/2016: 10 Year Green card in hand :dance:

Naturalization:
04/11/2019: N-400 filed online
04/13/2019: Biometrics appointment scheduled
04/16/2019: Biometrics letter mailed
04/30/2019: Biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

WOW! That is A LOT of evidence. We went into my interview with nothing.. literally just the copies of what we have sent in.

Good Luck!

Tomorrow is the day..i'm finishing up the file to bring into the AOS interview tomorrow. Please critique the evidence list and let me know if i'm missing any critical items that might be needed for a satisfactory outcome.

-Birth Certificates

-DMV issued Driver License

-Passports

-EAD/AP combo card

-Certified marriage certificate

Evidence of bonafide marriage:

-Lease agreement with both names on it

-Joint Checking/savings account statements

-Joint Credit cards(2)

-Vehicle title with joint ownership

-Auto Insurance card with both names on it

-Vehicle registration with both names on it

-Family gym membership contract agreement with both names on it.

-2 photo albums..one from when we were dating and one created after marriage w/ wedding photos

-box full of polaroid photo collection from the past 4 years of our lives

-Hotel reservation confirmation printouts

-Travel itinerary over the years via Amtrak

event.png

If you have it, bring also evidence of health insurance if you are on each other'so plan; 401K beneficiary information;life insurance beneficiary information.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Please forgive my ignorance, but when applying for an AOS (within 3 months of marrying) are we supposed to submit this amount of evidence with the i-485? How can one submit this much evidence to prove a bona fide marriage and avoid an RFE if you've only been married a short time? My fiance and I plan on getting married within a month of me arriving back in the US. Will a few weeks be enough to get everything we need together so we can avoid and RFE? I am so confused about the process after getting married.

My apologies if I have posted this on the incorrect forum - I felt if people here have been through the process they would be best suited to advise me.

Thank you in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Please forgive my ignorance, but when applying for an AOS (within 3 months of marrying) are we supposed to submit this amount of evidence with the i-485? How can one submit this much evidence to prove a bona fide marriage and avoid an RFE if you've only been married a short time? My fiance and I plan on getting married within a month of me arriving back in the US. Will a few weeks be enough to get everything we need together so we can avoid and RFE? I am so confused about the process after getting married.

My apologies if I have posted this on the incorrect forum - I felt if people here have been through the process they would be best suited to advise me.

Thank you in advance.

This is a different AOS. This one is for removing conditions on the 2 years Green Card to the 10 years GC.

This is a different AOS. This one is for removing conditions on the 2 years Green Card to the 10 years GC.

No, this is not a thread for removing conditions. The OP (POM) is adjusting status from a non-immigrant visa after marrying a USC.

To respond to kath1980 -- you should look at the threads labeled as "Adjusting from family-based visas," which is what the K-1 (fiance visa) for which you are applying is considered, in order to get a sense of experiences more applicable to yours. From what I understand (this is not my situation, but I have read those threads too since there are some similarities), the K-1 step requiring abundance of evidence for a bona fide relationship comes in earlier -- when you first apply for the K-1. If you get approved for that and do marry within the designated time, you will still be able to do a number of additional things (such as have your USC spouse add you to insurance or various other employer-based benefits, as well as arrange to have your name on leases and utilities bills), which you can present if you are called in for an AoS interview. (From what I understand, the biggest difference when adjusting form K-1 is that for at least half the people the interview gets waived too, which virtually never happens if a person is adjusting from a non-immigrant visa.) It helps to think about all of these in advance and plan to do each one as soon as possible after you marry. We took about a month after our wedding to collect all the initial evidence we sent in with the I-485, but we had made a list well in advance and had already researched what needs to be done for each item.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greenland
Timeline

So how was the interview?

No decision. IO barely asked us anything other than the I-485 info and to submit any evidence brought.

Spoiler
Adjustment Of Status:

06/25/2015: AOS/EAD/AP package Sent to USCIS

06/30/2015: Package received
07/03/2015: NOA1 hard copies received
07/10/2015: Biometrics appointment letter received
07/18/2015: RFE notice
07/23/2015: Biometrics appointment
07/24/2015: RFE hardcopy received
07/27/2015: RFE response sent via USPS express
07/29/2015: RFE received
08/24/2015: EAD/AP Card production/Approved
08/28/2015: EAD approval letter received
08/28/2015: EAD/AP Card Mailed
08/31/2015: EAD/AP Card received
09/03/2015: Applied for SSN
09/11/2015: SSN received
11/30/2015: AOS interview (no decision)
02/20/2016: RFE2: New medical
02/25/2016: New Medical completed/submitted
03/04/2016: Approved/Card Production
03/08/2016: Green card mailed
03/11/2016: 10 Year Green card in hand :dance:

Naturalization:
04/11/2019: N-400 filed online
04/13/2019: Biometrics appointment scheduled
04/16/2019: Biometrics letter mailed
04/30/2019: Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.