mspas

Pregnant while I-751 pending and trying to get Medicaid

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I just found out that I am 4 weeks pregnant. I applied for I-751 in July of 2014. I have I-551 stamp while I am still waiting for the interview.

Can I apply for prenatal Medicaid? Will this affect negatively my condition? I have a sponsor, and I signed that I will not request any government help for the first 4 years. I am self-employed and I make around $20,000 per year. My husband won´t do his taxes since he made less than $5,000 in the whole year. I live in Florida. I was reading online that I should say that I am separate to be able to get the medicaid. I am so confused.

Thank you for your replies

Edited by mspas

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

First of all, you, the immigrant, never sign anything to promise that you will not get need-based government help. (It would be unethical and probably illegal to have someone promise such a thing anyway.) You are under absolutely no obligations regarding what kinds of government help you can get (as long as you are eligible for such help under the state's rules). Your sponsor(s) signed things that made them theoretically liable for expenses incurred if you do get need-based government help while a permanent resident (though it's unlikely the government will sue them for it).

Removal of Conditions is unrelated to this. You are a permanent resident both before and after ROC. The Affidavit(s) of Support apply equally before and after ROC.

If your ROC was applied more than a year ago, you have probably been a permanent resident for more than 3 years, in which case you may consider applying for naturalization now. 1) This will speed up your ROC, and 2) once you become a US citizen, your sponsor(s)' obligations will cease.

Edited by newacct

Thank you very much for the information. Yes, in July were already 3 years since I got my first green card. I know that I can apply for the naturalization. I am waiting to see if I should hire an attorney.

My husband said when I applied the first time for the green card, and last year when I applied for the removal on the condition that he was never married before. He told me this year that he was married in another country for 12 years before, and he tried to apply for the citizenship for his 17 year old daughter. They denied it since he did not live in the US 5 years prior to her being born. When he applied for his daughter at the US embassy in the country that his daughter was born, he wrote in the application that he was married before. I don´t know if the immigration services gather the information from other petitions from the US citizens. I am now scared that since he lied when filling out the information with me, I will have problems. Should I just go with the same information I put the first two times, or should I update this information and tell that he was married when I apply for the naturalization. This is a big problem now for me. Perhaps should I write a new topic and ask the people here in the forum :-(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Didn't need this just a few short years ago, was a flat charge of around 400 bucks for prenatal care, delivery, four days in a hospital, and post natal care. Sure need it now, my last grandson cost their parents $16,000.00 with only one day in the hospital! Talk about outrageous inflation.

Best place to go is to patient assistance, either at your local clinic or hospital, that have all kinds of programs, whether county, state, or federal.

May even have to shop around a bit, the same medical procedure, can run anywhere from $1.200 up to $300,000! Not kidding on this, have kids and friends that work in the medical field. If over the poverty level with the new affordable health care act, it is nothing but affordable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.