kimandfred

Already have a SSN?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I have a question about putting the social security number on the I-29F for your alien fiancé if they were ever given one. Fred was in the US for a year to study between 1997 and 1998. He had already finished high school in France, but decided to come for another year and wound up at my high school, and that’s how we met. However, he technically wasn’t a student because he was finished with high school at home and was able to get a driver’s license (the DMV will give a license to ANYONE! :) ) and he was also given a social security number, but his card clearly states that the number is not valid for working in the US. Do I have to put that number on the I-29F? Is it possible that when all of our paperwork is approved, they will just use that number again? I am curious if anyone else was here in the US on a student or work visa and had a SSN for that purpose already and used it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all who’ve given us advice!

-Kim

K-1 Timeline

04/26/07 - I-129F sent

05/23/07 - NOA1

09/07/07 - NOA2

10/09/07 - NVC

10/20/07 - Packet 3

10/27/07 - Packet 4

11/07/07 - Medical

12/11/07 - Interview

12/25/07 - POE Chicago

AOS Timeline

01/18/08 - Wedding

01/24/08 - AOS Packet Sent

01/27/08 - NOAs for AOS, EAD, and AP

03/27/08 - AP Received

05/01/08 - EAD Received

08/06/08 - RFE for I-485

08/18/08 - Case Resumed

08/26/08 - Card Production Ordered (no interview)

08/29/08 - Welcome Letter Received

09/02/08 - Green Card Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have a question about putting the social security number on the I-29F for your alien fiancé if they were ever given one. Fred was in the US for a year to study between 1997 and 1998. He had already finished high school in France, but decided to come for another year and wound up at my high school, and that’s how we met. However, he technically wasn’t a student because he was finished with high school at home and was able to get a driver’s license (the DMV will give a license to ANYONE! :) ) and he was also given a social security number, but his card clearly states that the number is not valid for working in the US. Do I have to put that number on the I-29F? Is it possible that when all of our paperwork is approved, they will just use that number again? I am curious if anyone else was here in the US on a student or work visa and had a SSN for that purpose already and used it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all who’ve given us advice!

-Kim

SSN's do not expire... they are issued for life.... If he has one and when he needs to use it again then that is the number that he will use....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

When a person is issued a SSN that is their number for life, yes put that number on the I-129F form where it is being asked for, it may help during name checks.

When your fiance enters the country on the K-1 via then visit the SSA office and get the card changed to show "With Work Authorization Only" on it.

More about SS number can be found here: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ and http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#immigration

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yep. All he has to do when he comes back to the States is change the status of his SSN with them. He gets to keep the same number he's always had.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Same thing, though I have a question. Paul was here, applied for a SSN but it was sent return to sender (LONG STORY) and so we dont actually have the #. Think this will cause problems?

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Same thing, though I have a question. Paul was here, applied for a SSN but it was sent return to sender (LONG STORY) and so we dont actually have the #. Think this will cause problems?

If the application was never processed, just re-apply.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

No it was processed, the card was sent to my address, the people putting the mail in my mailbox returned it to sender (I was SO mad!). He has a #, but we dont know what it is.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.