C&I

Questions on AOS

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Hello,

My husband (US citizen) and I recently got married, last week! We are working on the documents to file for my adjustment of status and I have some questions.

I-130:

- Certified copy of certified marriage certificate: do we really need to have a certified copy or just a copy of our marriage certificate is fine? I red different answers about this topic so I'm a bit confused. If it has to be certified, how do you process to have it certified?

- Certified official copy of divorce documents: here again, does it have to be certified or do we send a copy of the official divorce decree?

- Proofs of relationship: do we need to send all of the proofs like utilities bills, insurance, etc.? Or these documents are only for the day of the interview?

I-485:

- IRS tax return transcript: which other documents do we have to send with the affidavit of support and the tax return transcript? I red about people sending pay stubs, etc.

Others:

- Since we are married now, is it correct if I use my new name in all documents we send? Or do I need to use my maiden name? My passport has my maiden name, I didn't make it change yet, I guess that will take a while....

- I have two different citizenships. Do I have to mention both of them in the forms and send copies of both passports or do I just mention the passport that has my visa?

Thanks a lot for your help! Hopefully the process will be not so complicated!

Best wishes

12.03.2015 - Sent AOS package to USCIS Chicago

12.06.2015 - Package delivered

12.14.2015 - Text received from USCIS; case received

12.17.2015 - NOAs received on my birthday! :)

01.07.2016 - Appointment for biometrics

01.11.2016 - Form I-485 ready to be scheduled for interview

02.17.2016 - EAD/AP approved

02.24.2016 - EAD/AP arrived today

03.18.2016 - Notice for interview scheduled April 20, 2016

04.20.2016 - Green Card Interview

04.26.2016 - Green Card received

End of this journey!

01.2018 - Sent I-751 - 10-year Green Card package

04.25.2019 - I-751 approved 

#prayingformyGC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Read the guides, they will answer most of your questions.

Official copies are those with the stamp/seal of the issuing authority. Submit copies (unless an original is pecifically required) and bring originals to the interview.

The more information that you supply, the smoother the process will go. Why be lazy and then have to respond to an RFE? Prepare well and it will all go smoothly.

You use your present legal name. The copy of your marriage certificate will be evidence of the name change. The passport doesn't have to match.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello,

My husband (US citizen) and I recently got married, last week! We are working on the documents to file for my adjustment of status and I have some questions.

I-130:

- Certified copy of certified marriage certificate: do we really need to have a certified copy or just a copy of our marriage certificate is fine? I red different answers about this topic so I'm a bit confused. If it has to be certified, how do you process to have it certified?

- Certified official copy of divorce documents: here again, does it have to be certified or do we send a copy of the official divorce decree?

- Proofs of relationship: do we need to send all of the proofs like utilities bills, insurance, etc.? Or these documents are only for the day of the interview?

I-485:

- IRS tax return transcript: which other documents do we have to send with the affidavit of support and the tax return transcript? I red about people sending pay stubs, etc.

Others:

- Since we are married now, is it correct if I use my new name in all documents we send? Or do I need to use my maiden name? My passport has my maiden name, I didn't make it change yet, I guess that will take a while....

- I have two different citizenships. Do I have to mention both of them in the forms and send copies of both passports or do I just mention the passport that has my visa?

Thanks a lot for your help! Hopefully the process will be not so complicated!

Best wishes

Hello:

Send c opies in the interview bring originals and copies just in case they ask again.

Send pay stub, W2's and if you want an employment letter from the employer.

You can use your new last name, your marriage certificate is a legal proof for the change.

Mention both citizenships and send both copies of first page of passport.

Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I sent everything they asked for, still got an RFE. Their website says "MAY" want to send in pay stubs for 6 months, and a letter from employer. Well of course thats what my RFE was for. It never ends, all I can say is when you think you have sent in enough information, send in MORE!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Thanks for your replies! I will send everything and more then!

12.03.2015 - Sent AOS package to USCIS Chicago

12.06.2015 - Package delivered

12.14.2015 - Text received from USCIS; case received

12.17.2015 - NOAs received on my birthday! :)

01.07.2016 - Appointment for biometrics

01.11.2016 - Form I-485 ready to be scheduled for interview

02.17.2016 - EAD/AP approved

02.24.2016 - EAD/AP arrived today

03.18.2016 - Notice for interview scheduled April 20, 2016

04.20.2016 - Green Card Interview

04.26.2016 - Green Card received

End of this journey!

01.2018 - Sent I-751 - 10-year Green Card package

04.25.2019 - I-751 approved 

#prayingformyGC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.