serendipitous

Question..

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

okay, I posted this in the Aussie thread somewhere else, but it's not as active as this one and I'm hoping that someone here can answer my question.

(I'm just pasting everything I said over there so if you've already read it once, I'm sorry for wasting your time again).

I just read something here:

http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/consular/ivfaq.html

That says that the interviews are conducted at the Sydney Consulate.

I was under the impression that my boyfriend would be able to have his interview in Melbourne.

We've just received our NOA2 and we're all excited! But i'm a little worried now that it seems like he has to interview in Sydney.

Is Sydney the only place to interview then?

This is from the FAQ issued by the consulate..

I live a long way from Sydney. Why do I have to go there for an interview?

The Consulate in Sydney is the only U.S. immigrant visa processing post in Australia. Likewise, although a fiancé(e) visa is a non-immigrant visa, the process is very similar to applying for an immigrant visa; therefore, fiancé(e) visa applicants must apply through the U.S. Consulate in Sydney.

Okay, on my I-129F form, I also put in that his consulate was: Melbourne, Australia. (I didn't realize that Sydney was the only one processing these types of applications..)

Will that cause a delay in NVC sending the packet over to the consulate? Will they send it to the wrong place?

Man.. I'm so frustrated.

Thanks guys!

My timeline:

02 - 09 - 2007 - Sending off of my I-129F package

02 - 13 - 2007 - NOA1 Received

02 - 21 - 2007 - Touched!

03 - 01 - 2007 - NOA2 Received

03 - 02 - 2007 - Touched Again!

03 - 06 - 2007 - NVC Received

03 - 07 - 2007 - Was told by email I-129F will be forwarded to Sydney

03 - 08 - 2007 - I-129F picked up by DHL and on it's way to Sydney!!

03 - 12 - 2007 - Sydney Consulate received packet! From DHL: 1:48 pm Shipment delivered WOOT

03 - 19 - 2007 - Packet Three is sent off!

03 - 20 - 2007 - Corey goes to get his fingerprints/police check completed. Now we wait for the investigation and then I can be assured he's not a criminal =]

03 - 21 - 2007 - Corey gets Pkt 3 via Registered Mail

03 - 22 - 2007 - Sent Corey a copy of all the documents and the notarized I-134.. hopefully everything arrives safely!

04 - 17 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Examination.. Let's hope everything goes great!

05 - 01 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Rescheduled to this date because doctor was away!

05 - 04 - 2007 - Corey's Initial Interview date! (We only had ONE week's notice!)

05 - 30 - 2007 - Corey's Rescheduled Interview date because there was no time for the initial one

In my opinion, it won't cause a delay at NVC. It's probably a common mistake. Even if it's not, the NVC knows exactly where to send your case. If it would have caused a delay, it would have been at uscis.

Edited by Chad+Lira

Yes. Sydney is Australia's only visa issuing post for Immigrant Visas to the US. This includes K visas.

I wouldn't stress about entering Melbourne instead of Sydney. It only has one place it can go......and that's Sydney.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
okay, I posted this in the Aussie thread somewhere else, but it's not as active as this one and I'm hoping that someone here can answer my question.

(I'm just pasting everything I said over there so if you've already read it once, I'm sorry for wasting your time again).

I was under the impression that my boyfriend would be able to have his interview in Melbourne.

We've just received our NOA2 and we're all excited! But i'm a little worried now that it seems like he has to interview in Sydney.

The Consulate in Sydney is the only U.S. immigrant visa processing post in Australia. Likewise, although a fiancé(e) visa is a non-immigrant visa, the process is very similar to applying for an immigrant visa; therefore, fiancé(e) visa applicants must apply through the U.S. Consulate in Sydney.

Okay, on my I-129F form, I also put in that his consulate was: Melbourne, Australia. (I didn't realize that Sydney was the only one processing these types of applications..)

Will that cause a delay in NVC sending the packet over to the consulate? Will they send it to the wrong place?

Man.. I'm so frustrated.

Thanks guys!

It does not cause any delay. They don't even look at it where there are no other options! I specified a city in Brasil where I wanted to have my Fiancee's interview. No luck! The country of Brazil has only 1 Consulate that does K-1 Visas, like Australia! So for those not living locally in the city of Rio de Janeiro, they must travel by bus or plane, pay for hotel and taxis to get to the Consulate. The Consulate makes it easy for themselves, but not for those that need them the most!

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Timeline

Man.. I'm so frustrated.

Thanks guys!

It does not cause any delay. They don't even look at it where there are no other options! I specified a city in Brasil where I wanted to have my Fiancee's interview. No luck! The country of Brazil has only 1 Consulate that does K-1 Visas, like Australia! So for those not living locally in the city of Rio de Janeiro, they must travel by bus or plane, pay for hotel and taxis to get to the Consulate. The Consulate makes it easy for themselves, but not for those that need them the most!

Ah, so I'm guessing your fiance had to take a few days off to go to his consulate interview? My boyfriend won't like this part. I'll have to let him know about going up to Sydney. It'll cost a bit, and he's in a bit of a money crunch since he just spent lots of money coming to visit me over Christmas for 2 months. Ack!

Are the medical exams done all over Australia or are the panel doctors only in Sydney as well?

My timeline:

03 - 12 - 2007 - Sydney Consulate received packet! From DHL: 1:48 pm Shipment delivered WOOT

03 - 20 - 2007 - Corey goes to get his fingerprints/police check completed. Now we wait for the investigation and then I can be assured he's not a criminal =]

03 - 22 - 2007 - Sent Corey a copy of all the documents and the notarized I-134.. hopefully everything arrives safely!

04 - 17 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Examination.. Let's hope everything goes great!

05 - 01 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Rescheduled to this date because doctor was away!

05 - 04 - 2007 - Corey's Initial Interview date! (We only had ONE week's notice!)

05 - 30 - 2007 - Corey's Rescheduled Interview date because there was no time for the initial one

Are the medical exams done all over Australia or are the panel doctors only in Sydney as well?

Medicals are done in your own state.

You can see a list of the Panel Physicians attached for Australia

Panel_Doctors.pdf

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

I was in Perth and when I initially filed I put that as my consulate.

Now despite the fact that Perth do not interview for K3/4 visas my package was sent there....and instead of sending it on to Sydney they sent it back to US. Eventually it found it's way back to Sydney but not after many calls to NVC and finally the State Dept in Washington.

I haven't heard of this happening before so I am sure you will be fine.

Good Luck :)

married Dec '03 in US

Feb 04...... I 130 filed......................approved August 04

March 04... I 129F filed....................approved October 04

August 04...I 130 for children filed....approved September 04

Interview: Jan 19 2005 in Sydney

~~~~K3/K4 Visas granted~~~~~

Leave for New Hampshire 27 January 05

We are Home!!!!! :o)

AOS timeline....round 1

2/16/05 I-765 mailed to Chicago

5/24/05 EAD approved

7/11/05 Started work!!

AOS....round 2 (to finally finish things off)

10/25/06 NOA1 for AOS/EAD

11/16/06 Transferred to CSC

11/17/06 Biometrics appt

11/27/06 Touched "Case now pending at CSC"

1/12/07 EAD "touched"

1/16/07 EAD "touched"

1/17/07 EAD approved "Card production Ordered"

1/20/07 I 485 "touched"

1/22/07 EAD card received

6/13/07 Transferred back to Missouri....grrrrrrr

7/23/07 Interview date! FINALLY!

7/23/07 AOS APPROVED!!! :o) 10 yr Greencard I 551 stamp in passport.

7/28/07 Welcome letter received

7/28/07 Card production ordered.

8/1/07 Approval notice senT

8/3/07 Greencards received in mail!

~~~WE ARE DONE~~~

I was in Perth and when I initially filed I put that as my consulate.

Now despite the fact that Perth do not interview for K3/4 visas my package was sent there....and instead of sending it on to Sydney they sent it back to US. Eventually it found it's way back to Sydney but not after many calls to NVC and finally the State Dept in Washington.

I haven't heard of this happening before so I am sure you will be fine.

Good Luck :)

After reading this, perhaps it would be a good idea for the OP to make the change on the paperwork once it reaches NVC. I know the window of opportunity at NVC can be quite small but worth the shot just in case it would inadvertently be sent to Melbourne.

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Timeline

Ack! So it can be misdirected? :(

So you suggest me calling NVC or emailing them letting them know that I didn't know that Sydney was suppose to be the Consulate for K1 Visas?

I'll do either one, just want to know which way would be better to communicate with them. I don't think the NVC has gotten my I-129F yet, since I only got my I-129F approval on Thursday. I haven't even received my NOA2 in the mail yet.

So should I wait till they receive it before mentioning to them through email or phone?

My timeline:

So you suggest me calling NVC or emailing them letting them know that I didn't know that Sydney was suppose to be the Consulate for K1 Visas?

I'll do either one, just want to know which way would be better to communicate with them. I don't think the NVC has gotten my I-129F yet, since I only got my I-129F approval on Thursday. I haven't even received my NOA2 in the mail yet.

So should I wait till they receive it before mentioning to them through email or phone?

I-129F petitions are generally not held at NVC for long periods of time. They are assigned a case number, a background/security check done, and then routed to the consulate. Thats why I said your window of opportunity can be small. I would call them every day, even a couple of times a day to try and catch it. Even doing that, there is no guarantee that you will succeed. All you can do is try.

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Timeline

I-129F petitions are generally not held at NVC for long periods of time. They are assigned a case number, a background/security check done, and then routed to the consulate. Thats why I said your window of opportunity can be small. I would call them every day, even a couple of times a day to try and catch it. Even doing that, there is no guarantee that you will succeed. All you can do is try.

Thank you very much! Aussiewench you rock :)

My timeline:

Timeline

Ack. I called the NVC today and they haven't received my petition yet so they weren't able to help me. All she did was give me the number to USCIS. I called them and they weren't able to change my form even if it was still at USCIS.

So I'm guessing I just wait and call back at NVC hoping I get them in time to have them change it?

I think I will send an email too.

My timeline:

Timeline

Just an update..

Hopefully it helps someone else (But I'm sure no one else is as silly to put the wrong consulate down)

I called NVC today, and they told me they received my case!! (YAAAAAAAAY)

I asked if it would cause delays, and if they could correct the mistake on my form. She told me that they could not change that for me, but that they would be sending it to Sydney Australia and not what I had down. (thank god!)

She also told me that it would be leaving really soon and that I should call back tomorrow, and the next day and the next day to make sure when and if it has left.

Hope this can help someone else as well.

My timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.