iamtintontan

Entering the US for the 1st time on our 2nd year wedding anniversary (merged threads)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys,

Just a curious question, if your second wedding anniversary is just a month and a half away from the time your visa is issued, would you rather wait for your second wedding anniversary before flying to the US so you'd automatically be stamped as a permanent resident? Or would you rather just fly right away and be stamped as a conditional resident?

Just curious as to what your takes would be? December is a very tempting month to just fly out and be with my husband during christmas. Plus december is my son's second bday. Well here is just assuming we will get our visa by the end of nov (praying here) :)

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I really think it depends on how you look at it. If money isn't a problem then i would fly right away. Not exactly sure how much it cost to remove the conditions on conditional green card but I want to say it's over $700 (again I'm not sure. My husband was given the 10 year green card so we don't have to worry about the removal of conditions).

But if you look at the sentimental side of it, you'll be together for Christmas and your son's second birthday. :)

Good luck! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I would rather go right away. So worth it to be able to spend the holidays together!

11/06: Husband EWI from Mexico
11/08: Started dating

11/11: Husband got deported
1/11/14: Got married
3/13/14-11/2/14:
I-130
1/26/15-3/17/15: NVC

5/28/15: INTERVIEW - denied

6/8/15: I-601/I-212 waivers received

11/17/15: I-601/I-212 waivers APPROVED

12/11/15: HUBBY HOME!! :dance:

Timeline

I know! It's very tempting really. Had it not been for the holidays and my son's second bday, then I wouldnt have any worries about waiting for a few more weeks.

And actually, it would be cheaper for us to fly right away, given that my son is still below 2 yrs old, he's going to be free [we're thinking of flying through PAL bcoz it has no stopovers :)]. Its just $735 as compared to $2100 (on a weekend) or $1700 (on a weekday) to wait until January.

I think the cost for the petition to remove the conditional residence is $505 plus $85 biometrics. I am more worried about encountering problems or worse getting denied the petition to remove the conditional residence. Thats why im more leaning to wait just a few more weeks for our second yr wedding anniv.

:)

I would wait! Dealing with USCIS is a pain, and if waiting six weeks is the difference between paying fees, filling out forms, keeping a paper record of your life for the next two years to prove you have a real marriage, and possibly having to do an interview, etc..... I would just wait.

Timeline

I would wait! Dealing with USCIS is a pain, and if waiting six weeks is the difference between paying fees, filling out forms, keeping a paper record of your life for the next two years to prove you have a real marriage, and possibly having to do an interview, etc..... I would just wait.

Same sentiments here! My husband is so done with having anything to do with paperworks. And i think it would be easier for me to build my credit score when i get there when i have my own credit cards and not joint credit cards with my husband.

Oh well. I feel a little better hearing what you all have to say. :)

And not just for credit cards. Some government agencies(like the post office) won't hire people with a conditional green card, but will hire people with the ten year card.

Getting a 5 year car loan is easier if you have a document saying you have legal presence for 10 years instead of 2 years.

Not having to worry about removing conditions and all of the things that could possibly go wrong, that in itself is worth missing a holiday and the extra cost of airfare. That would be my choice anyway since you're only talking about a few weeks.

Also, it would be a great opportunity to spend one last holiday with the loved ones you will be leaving behind ;)

And not just for credit cards. Some government agencies(like the post office) won't hire people with a conditional green card, but will hire people with the ten year card.

Getting a 5 year car loan is easier if you have a document saying you have legal presence for 10 years instead of 2 years.

Not having to worry about removing conditions and all of the things that could possibly go wrong, that in itself is worth missing a holiday and the extra cost of airfare. That would be my choice anyway since you're only talking about a few weeks.

Also, it would be a great opportunity to spend one last holiday with the loved ones you will be leaving behind ;)

You are very logical.

Timeline

That is so true!! Everything that you said is so true! A few weeks wait is better than the other thing waiting for us at the end of the 2 year expiration date of our greencard.

Thank you 2far!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Just a little correction. I work for the Post Office in hiring and we hire people who are authorized to work in America, EAD, 2 year Green Card, 10 year Green Card, citizens. We don't discriminate. However for driving positions you have to have a driver's license for two years which could almost equal having to have a 10 year Green Card.

And personally I'd wait another 6 weeks. There's a lot of little stuff to wrap up once you get your approval. We waited two weeks longer so my husband didn't have to register for the selective service. He also visited relatives that he probably won't see for years and wrapped up some of his personal dealings so he has more peace not worrying about them. However those two weeks were hard knowing that he could have been here and there weren't any holidays to consider. It's a tough call.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Just a little correction. I work for the Post Office in hiring and we hire people who are authorized to work in America, EAD, 2 year Green Card, 10 year Green Card, citizens. We don't discriminate. However for driving positions you have to have a driver's license for two years which could almost equal having to have a 10 year Green Card.

Maybe I understood it incorrectly, but this seems to say otherwise:

Individuals granted only asylum status, refugee status, or conditional permanent resident status are not eligible for Postal Service employment

Taking from the last paragraph from this page:

https://about.usps.com/handbooks/el312/el312c5_025.htm

It appears that the USPS differentiates between a "lawful permanent resident" and a "conditional permanent resident"

Of course, I could just be wrong.

Maybe I understood it incorrectly, but this seems to say otherwise:

Individuals granted only asylum status, refugee status, or conditional permanent resident status are not eligible for Postal Service employment

Taking from the last paragraph from this page:

https://about.usps.com/handbooks/el312/el312c5_025.htm

It appears that the USPS differentiates between a "lawful permanent resident" and a "conditional permanent resident"

Of course, I could just be wrong.

Nope, once again u are correct. I applied to a position at USPS and the lady told me they do not hire people without greencards. That i should reapply when i have one.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello,

If we are to enter the US for the first time on exactly our second year wedding anniversary, will we (son and i) be given a Permanent greencard or the Conditional greencard? I am not sure if what they're looking for is more than 2 years of marriage or exactly 2 years of marriage is fine.

Appreciate all your answers. :)

Hello,

If we are to enter the US for the first time on exactly our second year wedding anniversary, will we (son and i) be given a Permanent greencard or the Conditional greencard? I am not sure if what they're looking for is more than 2 years of marriage or exactly 2 years of marriage is fine.

Appreciate all your answers. :)

You get a conditional GC if married LESS THAN 2 years on the date you are granted LPR. So you will get a 10 year GC. Just make certain the CBP person understands this.

To quote the USIS website:

"Your permanent residence status is conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than 2 years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or adjustment of your status to permanent residence."

Dave

Timeline

Thanks for ur reply, Dave.

So just to summarize, if we go there on exactly our second wedding anniv, our GC should be permanent (good for 10yrs) because we have reached (on that day) our second year of marriage. We are only to get the conditional status if it's LESS than 2 yrs. so 2 yrs and above should automatically get LPR (10yr gc). Did i get it right?

Thank you. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.