jb2015

Any advice for pet relocation? Australia to US

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone on VJ has had experience relocating their pet (in my case dog) from Australia to the US?

If so, how did your pet cope with the long distance travel? And how did you go about organising the relocation?

Thanks heaps :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Aus/NZ Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific~

(mod hat off)

Check out this link from the Guides: http://www.visajourney.com/content/bringing-animals-to-america

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I don't personal experience with Australia but I have it with Thailand so I am thinking they could be similar long flights. So I will share my experience.

Most countries require an export visa for your pet which usually requires a government vet to sign off on so search the internet for what is required for Australia. I have a small dog (25 pounds) so I am able to book her for same flight as me but in the cargo section. If you have a big dog, you will probably have to deal with a cargo company which can be run by the airline or a private company.

The airline will require a heath certificate but if you have to get a export visa you can use that visa as a health certificate.

During the flight, do not give your dogs sleeping medicine because it will not last the entire flight so the best is to make them feel comfortable in their crate. My dog has done 24 hour flights with a layover for eight hours. I know that sounds terrible but if you think about it is only one bad day in their life so they can handle it. They will never be able to leave their crate and most likely you will not be able to see them during your layover because it is way more complicated. So provide her or him with water attach to the cage, and food. During the layover, the airport will add more water but you really dont want them taking them out of there crates because that usually when the dog escapes which leads to dangerous situations.

If you fly with your dog, I always like reminding the flight attendants that there is a dog on the plane so that they keep an eye on the temperature in cargo.

Once you arrive in the states, it is very easy. You dog will be dropped off near the gate where you pick up your luggage and usually are there before the baggage comes. You will declare you dogs to custom and they will check the rabies shot. The rabies shot has to be one month old and can only be for a year. That is all that US checks for dogs so it very simple. If you have to go to the cargo department for pick up, it should be as easy as picking it up at the gate.

I am sorry that I was not able to suggest any cargo pet companies but I hope I gave you the general idea that its not that complicated to travel with pets to the states.

Also I never paid any pet relocation companies and only paid for my dog spot in the cargo section.

Me and my dog, Dora, have traveled to the US from Thailand, and back in forth from Nepal to the US.

06/14/2015: Engaged!!!

07/07/2015: Left India for the USA...

08/13/2015: Priority mailed in I-129F to Texas LockBox.

08/13/2015: Started process on PCC for Guwahati, India.

08/17/2015: USCIS received I-129F petition.

08/19/2015: NOAI off to California Service Center!!

08/24/2015: NOAI receipt received.

08/25/2015: PCC received from Guwahati, India.

09/03/2015: NOAII Approval!!

09/04/2015: NOAII approval updated on website.

09/09/2015: NOAII received in mail.

09/24/2015: NVC received our case!

10/01/2015: Embassy receives case

10/15/2015: Sent out PCC for Thailand.

10/17/2015: Medical Exam.

...................: Received PCC from Thailand??

...................: Bio-metrics??

...................: Interview??

...................: POE somewhere on the east coast....

01/15/2016: Getting Married!!!

Timeline

I don't personal experience with Australia but I have it with Thailand so I am thinking they could be similar long flights. So I will share my experience.

Most countries require an export visa for your pet which usually requires a government vet to sign off on so search the internet for what is required for Australia. I have a small dog (25 pounds) so I am able to book her for same flight as me but in the cargo section. If you have a big dog, you will probably have to deal with a cargo company which can be run by the airline or a private company.

The airline will require a heath certificate but if you have to get a export visa you can use that visa as a health certificate.

During the flight, do not give your dogs sleeping medicine because it will not last the entire flight so the best is to make them feel comfortable in their crate. My dog has done 24 hour flights with a layover for eight hours. I know that sounds terrible but if you think about it is only one bad day in their life so they can handle it. They will never be able to leave their crate and most likely you will not be able to see them during your layover because it is way more complicated. So provide her or him with water attach to the cage, and food. During the layover, the airport will add more water but you really dont want them taking them out of there crates because that usually when the dog escapes which leads to dangerous situations.

If you fly with your dog, I always like reminding the flight attendants that there is a dog on the plane so that they keep an eye on the temperature in cargo.

Once you arrive in the states, it is very easy. You dog will be dropped off near the gate where you pick up your luggage and usually are there before the baggage comes. You will declare you dogs to custom and they will check the rabies shot. The rabies shot has to be one month old and can only be for a year. That is all that US checks for dogs so it very simple. If you have to go to the cargo department for pick up, it should be as easy as picking it up at the gate.

I am sorry that I was not able to suggest any cargo pet companies but I hope I gave you the general idea that its not that complicated to travel with pets to the states.

Also I never paid any pet relocation companies and only paid for my dog spot in the cargo section.

Me and my dog, Dora, have traveled to the US from Thailand, and back in forth from Nepal to the US.

Thanks so much @SawaNAb that's incredibly helpful advice! And your right, thailand to US is about the same as aus to US.

Ted's only little (cavoodle) he weights I believe under 6kg so hopefully I can organise for him to go into the Cargo section. How did you find Dora to be after the flight? Was she feeling herself?

And what airline company did you fly with? :)

Timeline

I used Japanese airlines and they were not bad. A fan of Qatar and I always want to fly with Dora with them.

Dora never really had a problem adjusting. Usually only takes a hr to get back to her normal self.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Try contacting JetPets for info. Theyre a pet travel place right near the airport who truly went above and beyond to help me when I was bringing my pets to the US, although I did not bring a dog.

For dogs I think you will need the export permit from Australia, the Import permit from the US. They can travel in the plane, in the cargo. You have to organize it well in advance just in case. It's literally never too early to start organizing it and finding out in detail what you need and getting the right permits.

Edited by guyy

Timeline

Thanks for the helpful advice :-)

I contacted JetPets and got a quote for $3,100.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to transport their pets themselves? I.e. Organised directly with the airline and taken the dog on the flight in cargo section as checked in baggage? I'm happy to get all the vaccinations and do all of the running around just find it very hard to get information from the airlines! I'm sure there is a way

Edited by jb2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know the rules for the UK and it is very Airline dependent. Whatever you do it is not the same as checked in baggage, there are separate areas to go to, depends on the time of year, too hot, too cold, and if it is a direct flight or involves transfers.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Bringing_PetsAlso worth a read.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The way I travel is just checking my dog into cargo and she flys with me. It basically you arrive a little earlier to the gate and they check her in. It usually only costs me $265 with Qatar the amount for extra baggage so I would check the airlines that only have about 1 or 2 stops but try to keep the total journey time under a day. Also I booked flights home a week in advanced so there is usually room in the aircraft. Those companies charge an arm and a leg for something that if you figure out on your own is fairly cheap if you have a small breed dog.

Edited by Sawa N Ab

Timeline

Here is the link for your country export procedures:

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/export/live-animals/companion#4-make-an-appointment-with-the-department--to-collect-the-official-documentation

and the import procedure in the USA is only rabies shot which will be all on her health certificate so you do not have to get an import certificate.

Timeline

Here is a link to delta airline http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/pets/pet-travel-options.html#checkand they charge $200 for dogs as checked luggage. (I did a brief search of Sydney to JFK flights and delta seemed like a reasonable option) Also remember when choosing flights make sure that you use the same airline the entire route because they will charge to check the dog again if you change airlines at layovers. I hope this was helpful and to find airlines pet policy just type the airline name and pet policy in google search. If they dont list a price, you can call their hotline number to get more information.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Please note : Delta does not accept pets in the cabin to/from the following locations:
Australia
Barbados
Dakar
Dubai
Hong Kong
Iceland
Jamaica
New Zealand
Republic of Ireland
South Africa
United Kingdom
United Arab Emirates

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Its not in the cabin, it is checked but call to find out. I was just going to suggest maybe because you dog was so small that you could keep it in the cabin but from his post it doesn't seem possible.

Here what they said in the checked section not cabin section:

Note: For any travel to or from South Africa, Hong Kong, or the United Kingdom — with the exception of service animals — pets must travel as cargo and are not permitted as checked baggage.

I have just been through this experience with my 2 year old Chihuahua. I originally thought I could probably save some $$ making the arrangements myself as I come from a legal background and am used to red tape. I was SO wrong. Please please go through a pet travel booker!! The paperwork is a lot more extensive (on BOTH ends) then a health check, medical certificate and Rabies vaccination. An appointment needs to be made with DFAT within 48 hours of flying to have all the export documentation certified (the rabies will need to be checked and stamped ahead of that) and then you will have to physically attend a customs office (offsite from the Airport) before you can collect your dog from cargo (also outside the main airport) if you haven't engaged a company to do it for you. I had a company do it electronically and it still took an extra 3 hours past when we landed before they could clear and release my dog. There is no ability to ship your dog as checked baggage from AU to US - I called everywhere. They have to go as cargo and the only airline that will allow you to book direct is Qantas ($1100 was my quote vs $1700 to go via a pet booker) and Qantas will give you NO help with the paperwork. They will not even explain how to set up the kennel to regulation - they expect you to have researched it and for it to comply with standard when dropped off. I ended up using Dogtrainers because they were willing to meet me at the airport the morning of our flight from SYD rather than kennel out anxious dog overnight. Pets have to be lodged 3-4 hours prior to the international flight so be sure to leave no earlier than 12 pm or cargo won't be open! In the end the process was huge expensive and stressful - I can't recommend using a professional strongly enough. I have a friend who works in transport and he says they get people all the time who try to 'do it themselves' but have no concept of how much paperwork is actually involved and expect him to help with it. When you ship yourself the export documents are your problem - otherwise that is what you are paying the pet booker that extra $$ for. Money well spent in my opinion. I was very worried about how my high strung dog would fare but he was fine in the end. Extremely happy to see us on the other end but suprisingly resilient.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.