JimandSarha

The Outgoing Tide

47 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm leaving. I am sick to death of the government of The United States of Mexico Jr.

Now I wish no ill will on the people of the United States. There are none better on the planet. Our government? Not so much. So I'm leaving.

Which brings up the obvious. How do I get settled there, when I'm not going to be here? I have that pretty well covered since I already own a house in China and my visa there is good for an entire year at a time. I'll just need to renew it annually and get a new American Passport every 10 years. Legal Permanent Residence in China is little more than a concept. I mught pursue it as a hobby. Probably not. I'm sure other countries have their own rules for people wanting to come in and stay infdefinitely.

How about a forum sub-section for people like me that will be looking for information on packing their bags and leaving?

Jim

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm leaving. I am sick to death of the government of The United States of Mexico Jr.

Now I wish no ill will on the people of the United States. There are none better on the planet. Our government? Not so much. So I'm leaving.

Which brings up the obvious. How do I get settled there, when I'm not going to be here? I have that pretty well covered since I already own a house in China and my visa there is good for an entire year at a time. I'll just need to renew it annually and get a new American Passport every 10 years. Legal Permanent Residence in China is little more than a concept. I mught pursue it as a hobby. Probably not. I'm sure other countries have their own rules for people wanting to come in and stay infdefinitely.

How about a forum sub-section for people like me that will be looking for information on packing their bags and leaving?

Jim

Ummm...perhaps because this is a forum for FAMILY-RELATED IMMIGRATION???? :wacko:

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

Jim

Ummm...perhaps because this is a forum for FAMILY-RELATED IMMIGRATION???? :wacko:

Ahhhh... Maybe that's why my wife can't come here easily? She's not really family? I'll be going to China to be with my family (my wife), not because I think its such a great place, bt because this great place is just totally pissing me off.

Jim

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

so go, this is our government, what our guys fight and die for, so you can have the right to leave.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

You sound very bitter. I'm sorry your visa journey has been so challenging. I hope you find what you're looking for.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline
so go, this is our government, what our guys fight and die for, so you can have the right to leave.

Yeah I know. I stood in the breach in Korea and then in Lebanon.

Now to the subject at hand instead of jingoism. When it becomes nearly impossible to wait for what appears to be a non-happening, I choose to go to my wife since my wife may never get to come to me.

Unlike those that say "My country right or wrong" I'm willing to look at it and say "#######?" Do you really think that the way immigration is handled is handled this way because its efficient? Is it cost effective this way? Is anything about this process set up to achieve the stated purpose of uniting American citizens and their families in the most efficient manner?

Well I don't. Send your paperwork here. Then there. Then finally to yet another place. Do it one slip of paper at a time. One process at a time. Let's move paperwork from place to place to place. Each phase takes weeks. Each move takes more time. More interactions.

Only a complete fool would believe this process is set up this way for the benefit of us, the US. This process is set up to throw as much delay and as many roadblocks into the process as can be accomplished without actually saying, GET A DIVORCE.

I will again ask, who here thinks that if this is such a good process, developed by rational people, why isn't the IRS organized this way?

Send in your 1040. Let them process it. Then send in your Schedule A....

Ok citizen, that looks good so far.... How about sending us some of your W-2's and 1099's.

Patience citizen, patience. We should be able to collect your taxes in 18-24 months. Just be patient. PLEASE do not send in any taxes due until we tell you too. Sending in your tax payment before being asked will just delay your taxes.

Its sheer folly on its face. And sheer folly that runs counter to the wishes of the people, some of whom did indeed risk death to make this a place worth coming to, has to be resisted. If it can't be resisted it has to be countered. I refuse to be away from my wife any longer when I'm told patently stupid tales by anyone. Even the genuinly nice people at the NVC. Therefore, I'm packing up and leaving. Not because I hate America. Its because America seems to have forgotten WHY it was and is America.

So for those of us immigrating to another country to be with our families, I think it would be a useful to have a place to discuss what's involved in going THERE when we can't be together HERE.

And those that think America can do no wrong will soon find that that is a way to ensure it can never do better.

Jim

Timeline
You sound very bitter. I'm sorry your visa journey has been so challenging. I hope you find what you're looking for.

I'm not bitter. I'm not. I'm mad. Pissed as hell that my government sees fit to interfere in my life and in yours. And yours, and yours and yours.

I am not mad at WHAT the government does. I can't see a single thing they do that is not a good idea. What I do see is a process that is either set up to try to break up my marriage or is run at such a completely assinine level as to be stupid beyond comprehension.

And I will not put up with it. Neither do I have to. And neither should you. Openly illegal people get every advantage in the system. Why don't we? Shouldn't we? If enough people saw fit to resist this treatment, it would change. I don't see that happening.

You can all feel bad for me. But I can live where I like, how I like. I feel much worse for people who have to put up with this BS in silence and thank the government for its benevolence. Nothing in America, even the tax system is this insulting.

Jim

So rather than be a force for change, you choose to leave. You're right... you can live anywhere you want. I hope you find the same freedoms you have here under the Chinese government. Write and let us know how it works out for ya.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline
So rather than be a force for change, you choose to leave. You're right... you can live anywhere you want. I hope you find the same freedoms you have here under the Chinese government. Write and let us know how it works out for ya.

I have some less, some more. I've owned a house there for 3 years. I can't vote for President there. But then again, I'm not too pleased with my choices here either. While information is tightly controlled for most media, satellite dishhes are prevalent and the Hong Kong newspapers flog the mainland mercilessly.

People openly talk about the problems with their government and my wife and I have personally driven a government cadre out of our conference room by force when he tried to shake us down. I beat him back to his office and was tearing him a new one when he walked back into his office. Nobody can screw with you without your permission anywhere. I've told off politicians in Singapore, Taipei and Ho Chi Minh City too. You get the what you let yourself get.

Every place has its tradeoffs. I would rather be here. But I'd rather be with my wife more.

Jim

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

YOu don't have a timeline filled out. Can I ask where you are at in the process and how long since you've started? I wish you all the best in your choice. I know most of us with spouses in the middle east suffer greatly and have to wait at least a year from start to finish. Actually quite a few wait almost two years. It sucks and I really wish there were something that could be done. It does seem like the process from start to NVC at least has improved but once it lands at the embassies where we are all bets are off. It's quite common, for example, for security checks to take a month, be completed only to sit in Cairo. Then when Cairo gets around to looking at it, it expires.........................so another one is ordered....takes another month or two.........sits on a desk in Cairo..........they finally look and again it's expired.

Really makes you want to tear your hair out.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline
YOu don't have a timeline filled out. Can I ask where you are at in the process and how long since you've started? I wish you all the best in your choice. I know most of us with spouses in the middle east suffer greatly and have to wait at least a year from start to finish. Actually quite a few wait almost two years. It sucks and I really wish there were something that could be done. It does seem like the process from start to NVC at least has improved but once it lands at the embassies where we are all bets are off. It's quite common, for example, for security checks to take a month, be completed only to sit in Cairo. Then when Cairo gets around to looking at it, it expires.........................so another one is ordered....takes another month or two.........sits on a desk in Cairo..........they finally look and again it's expired.

Really makes you want to tear your hair out.

I filed my I-130 in November of 2005. I'm still waiting for them to cash my IV Fee chek for $380. Then I can expect to wait a month(s) for the DS-230 and then send it back for more and more processing. Keep in mind that at no time have I received an RFE or so much as a burp. And yet, here I am waiting and waiting. I was married in Sept 2005. I filed in November of 2005. Know why there was such a long interval? Because while staying almost constantly in Guangzhou, I was constantly misdirected and misinformed by the embassy about what to do and where. It took three months and a call to that otherwise incredibly useless Senator Barbara Boxer to get pointed to someone who would tell me what to file and where. Almost everyone in the process is either a government employee trying to mess us up or a lawyer trying to make the process mysterious and unfathomable for their own benefit.

But we aren't half way through this yet after almost 18 months. I'll be amazed if we finish this by our second wedding anniversary. So, I'm just going to move myself.

Jim

Edited by JimandSarha

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh wow! :blink: I would do the same as you then if I didn't have two little ones! Hope it works out for you and I think it's a great idea for those in your situation to have a little additional section here. :thumbs:

geesh...look at your timeline compared to what he's been through. I don't think you can really judge like that till you've been in his shoes!

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Oh wow! :blink: I would do the same as you then if I didn't have two little ones! Hope it works out for you and I think it's a great idea for those in your situation to have a little additional section here. :thumbs:

geesh...look at your timeline compared to what he's been through. I don't think you can really judge like that till you've been in his shoes!

Not judging at all... just raising the point that the grass is always greener, that's all.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline

Not judging at all... just raising the point that the grass is always greener, that's all.

Well, I've been eating the grass, and the cow pies, on both sides of the Pacific for the past 3 years since we met in April of '04. :-)

Edited by JimandSarha

First -

I'm no expert but I'd say something is wrong with your petition. Don't ask me what, but something.

Second -

Although I'd love to, I won't spare/debate over why anyone would move from a democracy to what many would say is still a communist country. Not saying it’s a bad thing just wouldn't be for me.

Lastly -

in today's world - am not sure any country is without buocracy - be it the US, EU-countries, Far East, etc. Some better/faster than others - and yes, I think they all are quick to collect taxes and slow to return papers. All things being equal - I think part (note; PART) of the slowness of our immigration system comes from the thousands (maybe millions) that are hoping to come here, not leave. Land of Opportunity still rings true.

As for me -

I love my country - barely tolerate my/our sometimes comical government - I'd move to Germany in a heartbeat if I could -not because I hate my country, but because I love Germany too and love a certain wonderful person who is there.

Good Luck - hope you get some great advice from some of the terrific folks on this site.