JimandSarha

The Outgoing Tide

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
why did u chose the cr1/ir1 route if u wanted her so fast. that is the longest way to go. she could have already been here if u went the k-3 way. that was stupid on ur part so dont blame our govt for the delay.

What a crass and insensitive statement to make. Sheesh! Somebody whiz on your corn flakes this morning? :blink:

Jim,

I wish I had words of advice to tell you, but I don't. I thought being in namecheck hell was hard...I can't imagine how you really feel inside nor how your wife feels too. I can understand wanting to be there with her, if nothing else to show your inlaws your true intentions. I'm not going to even start to say whether you are right or wrong for wanting to pack it all up and move to China. I just hope things work out for you soon.

As for the original idea for this thread, well...why not. There are some on here who are thinking of going to their spouse's country to live at some point in the future. I know my husband and I are seriously considering it as well. It might be interesting to see what all is posted and what information can be shared for the future.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

I know living in my Fiances country as always been on the table for discussion. The process would be something like this, we go to the Ministry to get a license, wait a couple days, get married. .... Live. Yup that would be it. The main reason we are going to the states is because I have student loans to repay and need US dollars to do it (EC dollars have a 2.71 exchange rate, and not in the EC's favor) and I want to go to graduat school and I can't do that in Grenada. However, my fiance and I agreed at the start of this process that if things went wrong, if it was denied, we would just stay in Grenada. I hear lot's of people in the threads talking about going to stay with their SO if things don't work out on the visa path. I don't think it's an abandonment of our country, I think it's a personal choice people havev to make. How many people will sacrifice their domestic marriages to make a stand on other issues of national importance? Why is is that good people have to have their lives torn apart to 'make a stand'.

I agree, the US is a land full of opportunity, but it is up to each individual to decide which opportunities are right or them. One opportunity afforded to US citizens happens to be hassle free travel to most countries.

I understand that most people on this board are trying to get someone INTO the US, but what happens when that fails. I was just reading a post from someone who's visa journey ended after over two years and the couple decided to part ways and get on with thier lives. Maybe a thread that caters to the worst case scenarios would be benificial to those who get left by the wayside. I know in all of our dreams and excitement, there lies a terrible fear that things may not work out, and we may be the ones left apart. I think it would be benificial to hear from those people to know if there is any light at the end of their tunnel, who know's, any one of us could be travelling that path right behind them.

I am knocking on wood because my journey has so far been quick and fairly painless, but there are things that could interupt the process further down the road. There is no certainty until there is a permanent green card in hand (or even better, naturalization).

I am keeping positive thoughts about my case and everyone else here on this board, I hope that all those apart are together soon.

Jim,

I am so sorry to hear the quagmire you have unsuspectingly fallen into, I don't have any advice or technical information but I hope you follow your heart and do what is right for your "real family". Good Luck to you.

Sue

grenada.gifusa.gif

"We owe something to extravagance for thrift and adventure go seldom hand in hand." JJC