asmpic

Consequences of not using the k1 visa?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I've been browsing the forum for a while now and think it's time I asked for direct help. I would like to apply for a k1 visa to bring my fiancée to the US. She is from Iran but we have been both studying in Europe for the past 4 years. It's about that time for me where I'll be finishing my degree and will need to move back to the US, so I thought now would be the best time to apply so we can cut the time we would need to be apart by as much as possible.

Now here's where it gets a bit tricky, I'm applying for jobs both in the US and here in Europe, so if it happens that I'm able to extend my time here further, I will do it and not go back to the US. So I'm trying to play it safe and wanted to know what would happen if I were to get a job here in Europe and the K-1 visa were also to be granted? If she doesn't use it or cancels it, will it look really bad later down the line? I mean, I won't stay here forever so she will need the visa at some point.

I just don't want to risk waiting and then seeing that I can't stay and having to wait the entire time separated while I apply for the k1 visa in the US.

Thanks for all the help!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi,

You first have to decide if you want to return to the US or stay in Europe for a few more years. If you want to return, then read on. Otherwise don't bother with a visa now and wait until you need one.

If there is an USCIS international office in your country you can go the DCF route (get married and apply for your spouse's visa directly in your country of residence instead of the USCIS in US). This saves a lot of time and will get you both to the US faster.

Even if there is no USCIS office in your country, you can also consider getting married first and apply while you're still in Europe. Your spouse will have the 2-year green card as soon as she enters the US so she will be able to work and travel immediately instead of waiting for another 3 months to adjust status.

If you're applying for a K1 and not use it, then it might bring some issues down the road when you apply again for immigration benefits, it will raise the level of scrutiny your petition will get and make it harder for your spouse/fiancée to get her visa in the future.

If you choose to get married first, you can do so in any country you choose (US, Europe or Iran) and take it from there. If you go the K1 route, then you have to get married in the US - so her friends and family from Iran might have a harder time (financial and visa) coming to the wedding.

Hope this helps.

Edited by acgmph

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

You first have to decide if you want to return to the US or stay in Europe for a few more years. If you want to return, then read on. Otherwise don't bother with a visa now and wait until you need one.

If there is an USCIS international office in your country you can go the DCF route (get married and apply for your spouse's visa directly in your country of residence instead of the USCIS in US). This saves a lot of time and will get you both to the US faster.

Even if there is no USCIS office in your country, you can also consider getting married first and apply while you're still in Europe. Your spouse will have the 2-year green card as soon as she enters the US so she will be able to work and travel immediately instead of waiting for another 3 months to adjust status.

If you're applying for a K1 and not use it, then it might bring some issues down the road when you apply again for immigration benefits, it will raise the level of scrutiny your petition will get and make it harder for your spouse/fiancée to get her visa in the future.

If you choose to get married first, you can do so in any country you choose (US, Europe or Iran) and take it from there. If you go the K1 route, then you have to get married in the US - so her friends and family from Iran might have a harder time (financial and visa) coming to the wedding.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help!

So if we were to get married in Europe, (she currently lives in the UK and I live in Switzerland) and I go over to London and get married, what would the next steps be? I understand we can do a direct filing at a US embassy but the question would then be, which embassy since we are currently not living in the same country?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi,

You may only file at a consulate in a country where the beneficiary is either a citizen or a registered legal resident. However, to also qualify for a direct consular filing (DCF), the petitioner has to have lived in the same country for a minimum of 6 months. So, currently it doesn't sound like you qualify. Also, for future ref, keep in mind that not all consulates offer DCF.

Regarding original question, I don't think an unused K-1 is such a problem for future applications, but more experienced VJ'ers should input here.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If you end up not using it, contact the issuing consulate with all details of the visa and your explanation, requesting that they acknowledge your correspondence and notify all other appropriate agencies.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hi,

You may only file at a consulate in a country where the beneficiary is either a citizen or a registered legal resident. However, to also qualify for a direct consular filing (DCF), the petitioner has to have lived in the same country for a minimum of 6 months. So, currently it doesn't sound like you qualify. Also, for future ref, keep in mind that not all consulates offer DCF.

Regarding original question, I don't think an unused K-1 is such a problem for future applications, but more experienced VJ'ers should input here.

thanks, but we have both been living more than 6 months in each country. I've been in Switzerland for the past 3 years and she has been in the UK for the past 2 years. Or do we both need to be living in the SAME country for at least 6 months?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

thanks, but we have both been living more than 6 months in each country. I've been in Switzerland for the past 3 years and she has been in the UK for the past 2 years. Or do we both need to be living in the SAME country for at least 6 months?

As I said, you have to file in the country where the beneficiary is legally residing or a citizen (so, at the moment your choices are Iran or UK). To qualify for DCF (quicker process than regular CR-1 filing), the petitioner (you) also need to have lived in the SAME country (as the beneficiary) for the last 6 months or more.

Edited by A'n'L

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.