Messybrownhair

Health Insurance for Parent when they are new immigrants

5 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am currently in the process of petitioning my mother to come here, maybe not permanently, but for a few years. I am shopping around for health insurances for her and on healthcare.gov it seems they range from 350 to as much as you want. I was wondering what others have done to get them health insurance? I am ok with purchasing her one since its still cheaper than 2 kids in daycare.

I am a little confused on healthcare.gov when I try to do an estimate, do I count me, my husband and kids are people in her household or does she count as one? I am assuming she is the only one in her "household"?

What income do I put for her, if she will just stay to watch her grandchildren? Can I put zero income? claim my mom as a dependent on my tax return?

Thanks!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you claim your mother than she is part of your household and her household size becomes your and the household income becomes hers. If she is working for you , you are supposed to pay her and do the proper social security reporting ( it you don't she will never reach 40 quarters and you will always will be on the hook for your affidavit of support )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

If you claim your mother than she is part of your household and her household size becomes your and the household income becomes hers. If she is working for you , you are supposed to pay her and do the proper social security reporting ( it you don't she will never reach 40 quarters and you will always will be on the hook for your affidavit of support )

What is 40 quarters? Is that for social security? She has no plans to stay here permanently or become a USC, she just wants to stay for 3-5 years until one or both kids are in school. She is retired and bored. I am just looking for the proper way to get her healthcare in the meantime, as healthcare.gov is confusing when they ask about household size. Is it beneficial to claim her as a dependent?

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The way we were instructed to do it so it would be cheaper was to have the father claim himself for a household of one but he also has to file his own taxes. Since he has minimal income that is not a problem.

Considering your mother an employee is stretching it a bit as I know a lot of parents who use family members to watch their children and don't pay them. For you it would be a barter sort of thing with you providing housing, food, transport, etc. in exchange for her services. Before people start jumping on me if she were coming on a tourist visa it would be different but since a green card is being obtained it would be no different than a USC having their mother watch their child for them, you wouldn't consider her to be an employee.

There should be a phone number to call to obtain live person help. Trust me, it was a nightmare when we were getting dad-in-law his insurance.

The way we were instructed to do it so it would be cheaper was to have the father claim himself for a household of one but he also has to file his own taxes. Since he has minimal income that is not a problem.

Considering your mother an employee is stretching it a bit as I know a lot of parents who use family members to watch their children and don't pay them. For you it would be a barter sort of thing with you providing housing, food, transport, etc. in exchange for her services. Before people start jumping on me if she were coming on a tourist visa it would be different but since a green card is being obtained it would be no different than a USC having their mother watch their child for them, you wouldn't consider her to be an employee.

There should be a phone number to call to obtain live person help. Trust me, it was a nightmare when we were getting dad-in-law his insurance.

Thanks for understanding the situation! My mom is not asking to be compensated but she is by no means a slave. She just wants to see and watch her grandkids, and yes she will be living with us and not contributing to bills or mortgage etc.

So even if she would live with us, she can file as a household of one, and she would do so as a permanent resident, am I correct? Thank you! I guess, we would call healthcare.gov and do this only when she is here and has her GC already right?

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.