zaynab

Failed to find a job in San Diego !

38 posts in this topic

I moved in a little hamlet of western IL 4 years ago because that is what my wife wanted since she is a country girl. the nearest biggest town has a population of like 2500 or less and the job scene was bleak, i hold a masters degree in EE and was aiming too high. Not that it was wrong of me to aim high as i am well qualified but i did not even look at non career jobs for the time being.i decided to apply for a call center job in the little town as a tech support and was promoted to a supervisor in a month. i worked there for a year and made only 37k/year but was very active with job hunt.i was able to find a semi tech job that paid more and gave me a lot of exposure.i worked there for another couple of years before finding my current job which is a career job and i am making a little less than 6 figures now. i am not a money chaser and not a very positive person but somehow managed to remain positive during the job hunt. my whole point of sharing this with you is not to self brag but to tell you to hang it in there and keep slogging. you will find a job.

Thanks , i wish you all the best , looking for a job is a very hard process , i admit that i got a lot of entry level positions in a few months after my US entry , but expecting a high and a good job lead me to this terrible situation, not being able to find a job lead me to have a very bad life style, i do not do anything, no sport, no TV, no friends, i just apply for jobs and watch 0 result, and this is frustrating , making me feel tired even before i start any job, i need to change my life as a quick as a possible

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm in the position of your spouse as my wife frantically searches for a job. I realized a few weeks in that I was putting far too much stress on her to find a job. I have since told her to relax. I told her to make a long range plan and work towards realizing the goals. First thing on her list is to improve her english. She is enrolled in ESL classes and if it takes two years of bettering her english before she gets a job, then I'm okay with that. Have an honest talk with your husband. Let him know that his frustrations are increasing your stress level. He should not be okay with that.

I think it's great that you're volunteering. Again, your husband should appreciate that too. Good luck with your new direction in getting a retail job. Hopefully the holiday season will allow you to get a job for the last couple of months of 2015, at least.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

I'm in the position of your spouse as my wife frantically searches for a job. I realized a few weeks in that I was putting far too much stress on her to find a job. I have since told her to relax. I told her to make a long range plan and work towards realizing the goals. First thing on her list is to improve her english. She is enrolled in ESL classes and if it takes two years of bettering her english before she gets a job, then I'm okay with that. Have an honest talk with your husband. Let him know that his frustrations are increasing your stress level. He should not be okay with that.

I think it's great that you're volunteering. Again, your husband should appreciate that too. Good luck with your new direction in getting a retail job. Hopefully the holiday season will allow you to get a job for the last couple of months of 2015, at least.

Thanks,

My husband does not like to talk at all, he is not talking to me in the last few days after when he gave me some money when he got paid. he is saying NO BODY WANTS TO HIRE ME, he sing this sentence anytime he wants , he is not supportive nor understanding, he doesn't care, i told him few times stop saying nobody wants to hire me because i'm getting a jobs interviews till now in my field and unfortunately i needs a car, i need to start my first job in any field just to be out from the house and have back my normal life style

Edited by zaynab

I went through the same.bad lifestyle, bad eating habits. we did not had any monetary issues as my wife was earning well and never pushed me for anything crazy. i am sorry that you are going through this.Please keep trying like you have been doing.there is a thin line between being happy and sad. i promise you , things will change fast.this is a great country and there are jobs.

I went through the same.bad lifestyle, bad eating habits. we did not had any monetary issues as my wife was earning well and never pushed me for anything crazy. i am sorry that you are going through this.Please keep trying like you have been doing.there is a thin line between being happy and sad. i promise you , things will change fast.this is a great country and there are jobs.

Thank you, husband married me and has no idea about marriage life and supporting wife, he feels upset anytime he give me some money, he refused since i came here to give me any bank card to use, he said he will give me money in hand like a kid, since that time anytime he give me anything he stay mad for days /weeks , i didn't hear from him any nice word since i entered to USA to support me, when i came he kept saying for months "You DID NOT DO ANYTHING",and "Women here in USA they work they do not stay at the house they bring money to table" and now he repeat this sentence: "NOBODY WANTS TO HIRE YOU", he is abusive , hater, really any job i will find at this point i will be very happy with, because it will save my life, I'm sure he will stop giving what he is giving now , he cant wait to be free from giving out of his packet some dollars to his wife ,

almost -americain you were lucky your wife she was understanding, i wish you a good luck

Edited by zaynab

Thank you, husband married me and has no idea about marriage life and supporting wife, he feels upset anytime he give me some money, he refused since i came here to give me any bank card to use, he said he will give me money in hand like a kid, since that time anytime he give me anything he stay mad for days /weeks , i didn't hear from him any nice word since i entered to USA to support me, when i came he kept saying for months "You DID NOT DO ANYTHING",and "Women here in USA they work they do not stay at the house they bring money in table" and now the sentence he repeat anytime: "NOBODY WANTS TO HIRE YOU", he is abusive , hater, and really any job i will find at this point i will be very happy with, because it will save my life, I'm sure he will stop giving what he is giving now , he cant wait to be free from giving out of his packet some dollars to his wife ,

you were lucky your wife she was understanding i wish a good luck to you

I am sorry to hear that. seems like you are under a lot of pressure and not being loved.hope that change.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Are you sure he's the right guy for you?

2012: met the woman of my life :wub:

June 2014: filed I-129F

May 2015: visa in hand - got married (L)

June 2015: filed I-485 and I-765

October 2015: EAD

November 2015: Potential Interview Waiver Notice

February 2016: AOS Case transferred to San Francisco office

March 2016: GC in hand (no interview)

Timeline

You shouldn't be treated like this. Seriously, what kind of "husband" does that?

I'm always amazed how people bring their spouse to this country and then turn out to be complete ########.

What did he marry you for? For you to make money? Or because he loves you?

I am sorry to hear that. seems like you are under a lot of pressure and not being loved.hope that change.

Thanks for your kind words, he is not talking to me since Thursday , he came from his job , he found me sitting face to the laptop applying and applying for jobs , suddenly he came close to me gave some money and said " those are the money you are waiting for" i asked him put them in the overdrawn joint account he said " no those are your money" since then he is not speaking, when i try to speak to him he ignore me. i clean the house, cook, sometimes i go out when i feel he will be soon at the house , just to avoid the feeling he gave me while he find me at the house,

Thanks for your kind words, he is not talking to me since Thursday , he came from his job , he found me sitting face to the laptop applying and applying for jobs , suddenly he came close to me gave some money and said " those are the money you are waiting for" i asked him put them in the overdrawn joint account he said " no those are your money" since then he is not speaking, when i try to speak to him he ignore me. i clean the house, cook, sometimes i go out when i feel he will be soon at the house , just to avoid the feeling he gave me while he find me at the house,

That is not very nice of him. why is he doing all this anyways ? like this other fellow vjers mentioned, why did you guys get married if he is not treating you with respect and dignity. i am sorry

Are you sure he's the right guy for you?

i found out when i came to live with him in USA that he is not the right guy , he is just a big liar who fish international women , he was lying until i joined him and trusted him, the first weeks from my US entry i saw somebody totally different than the guy i knew for years, he enjoy insulting, when i just came something happened( argument) he said kind of insult " You never rode a plane until you joined me to USA, '' You don't know how to use a bank card " Why he said this; because when i opened my first bank account i asked him to accompany me to the ATM machine in case if i do not understand English when i needed to deposit some money that i had , he although commented on the way how i eat ,,he know i came from modern family and i was using a bank card at my home country , he really frustrated me, none of his family members married with woman that she works, all of them are seating at their houses eating candies , i told him many times i was working at my home country and here i must work for myself and my education/ and for the years that i spent to be who i'm , i do not agree to stay at the house ,but his actions means a lot for me , he may think i will stay at the house forever. he is just poor person not enough to be A MAN , MAN means a lot not just name .

You shouldn't be treated like this. Seriously, what kind of "husband" does that?

I'm always amazed how people bring their spouse to this country and then turn out to be complete ########.

What did he marry you for? For you to make money? Or because he loves you?

I see now that he married me because he loves a foreign women he loves the foreign language action, i just understand now, for me he married me to bring money to table and sponsor him, he knew from the beginning when he met me , that i'm very successful woman with a big smile and full of hope,and i do speak fluently 2 foreign languages, many times before he was speaking about how those language bring money and i never thought he is like how he is now,

Timeline

Why are you still with him if you realized he's not a good husband?

Why are you still with him if you realized he's not a good husband?

I need to find a job to support myself , i still can't take any step, i'm still looking for a job , hopefully the future interview get me a job, i want my family to not trip when they will find out i'm leaving him, i want them to know i have a job and salary because a wife leaving her husband in our country/religion is not something easy to do, i don't want to go back to my home in this situation too, so i need to find a job first to think

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is the same situation I am afraid of and has been discussing this to my fiance. I have been working ever since and supporting my kids as a single parent. Being jobless scares the H___ out of me.

So as early as now we have been talking about this. My fiance keeps on telling me not to stress my self over it; he can support us until I can get a job which he is very confident about it. I always wanted to be prepared so I plan to take up classes at local training centers in SD, research SDCE. Yes new immigrants are sometimes being weighted on based on our international degrees which may not be comparable with US degrees.

What country are you from, try to reach out on your local migrant community. San Diego is culturally diverse city and for sure you can find a local migrant community that can help you out.

AOS/ AED/ AP:

(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC

My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.