Roxy1963

Ghana K1-129 Visa Case resent to NVC twice Since 2013 (Argument on Common-Law Marriage in 2007)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I met my fiancée in Accra/Ghana, March 2011, when I went on a contract with Ericsson, since then we have been living a Bona Fineness relation and , I have spent 70% of my time in Ghana withher (evidences are not an issue in this case. In October 2012, I decided to file a K1-129 visa for her, and get married in Maryland: 1st application approved (July 2013) by the Homeland Security, and NVC, but rejected by the US Embassy in Ghana, December 4 2013(with 221g letter). 2nd appeal approved (January, 2014), by Homeland Security and NVC, but rejected again by the US Embassy in Ghana, July 16, 2015(with 221g letter) . The issue is that back in 2007, when my fiancée was applying for B1-B2 visa, she made a statement in front of the visa officer that she was in Common-law husband and wife with the father of her daughter, but the reality is she has never been married, in any form whatsoever. The embassy has “technically” interpreted that she was married and she is not, that is the argument. I went to see my congressman who contacted the US Embassy, to find out the reason for these rejections. They said that my fiancee was married in 2007, and they were asking her to prove that the Common Law relation was ended. My fiancee went to Court in Ghana, and she file all the declarations in court, my congressman sent all the papers to the US Embassy, but the reply that they have received, but have already send the file to NVC, on the way to USCIS.

My question is what can I do at this point? File Waiver Form 601? Is it possible? Or do I need to start again for the 3rd time?

This case has been devastating, emotionally, and psychologically. The impact on our couple is financial, and professional, because as I I have spent most of my time in Ghana from 2011 to 2015 with my fiancée, and I cannot afford to do so, as I need to be more active in the US.

Ghana.

tHE that

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Common law marriage in Ghana???

Can I be legally married if I simply cohabit with my 'spouse'? Cohabitation or concubinage ('mpena aware'), where the man and woman live together without performance of the customary marriage rights, is not recognized as a valid marriage in Ghana.
that is directly from the government site, so if there is a 2007 registry of her marriage, it was not a common law marriage but a legally registered customary marriage as recognized by the country. She needs to go thru the divorce proceedures to dissolve the union.

What is marriage? There are three types of valid marriage recognized by the Ghanaian law: (1) Customary marriage, (2) marriage under the Marriage Ordinance and (3) Islamic marriage under the Marriage of Mohammedans Ordinance.

and why not marry and do spouse visa and stop fighting this finance visa? Big thing you are up against is like me and husband from Morocco. It is considered a high fraud country with many just wanting a visa.

Timeline

None of these applied to her(1) Customary marriage, (2) marriage under the Marriage Ordinance and (3) Islamic marriage under the Marriage of Mohammedans Ordinance.

But Any way as my congressman advised, she went to appear in court, to dissolve that relation that ended in 2008. The congressman office has already sent the court papers to the US Embassy in Ghana.

Thanks for your comment!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Since your fiancee went and dissolved everything and it's finished you have the proof that it's all dissolved you should just marry, this embassy is very hard and fiancee visas are left untouched once it reaches uscis to sit and expire, so technically you will be starting over once again, you should read through the Ghana forums and Emabssy reviews to see what kind of Emabssy your dealing with so you can over come these issues your having, I've been to Ghana 3 times married 2 years 8 months now, turned everything in for interview and have been in ap since September 2014, so research research and search again about this Emabssy Good luck??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from Introducing Our Members forum to the Africa/Sub-Saharan regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hello, my fiancee was denied at the US Embassy in Ghana, under section 221g back in June 2015,, for the 2nd time. Since August 3rd 2015, my Congressman, has provided a copy of the Ghanaian court, dissolving the previous common law marriage of my fiancee in 2007 (document that was holding my case), but the US Consular in Ghana, said they had already sent the petition I-129F back to NVC. What could I do next? should wait for a letter from them? should I file again?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello, my fiancee was denied at the US Embassy in Ghana, under section 221g back in June 2015,, for the 2nd time. Since August 3rd 2015, my Congressman, has provided a copy of the Ghanaian court, dissolving the previous common law marriage of my fiancee in 2007 (document that was holding my case), but the US Consular in Ghana, said they had already sent the petition I-129F back to NVC. What could I do next? should wait for a letter from them? should I file again?

My question to you is why do you keep refilling for the same thing such as a k1, the k1 is gonna expire no matter what you do and what you file, the time you have spent so far could have been resolved by now if you were married cr1 doesn't expire, and if a denial is the result you recieved from this time around, your basically starting over again as your welcome to do so by filing a k1 now. And before filing I suggest you sit and look at what your sending does the paper work and pictures and chats show a clear picture of your relationship organization seems to be the key at this Emabssy, show them that your relationship is real and bona fide in your packet, as always praying for you and good luck?????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.