WestWolf

What is my immigration status? K-1/I-94 Expired, EAD received, AoS in processing.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This seems like it should be a simple thing to figure out, but I can't find anything.

I arrived on a K-1 in Dec 2014, was married and applied for EAD/AoS within a few days of arrival.

I received my Employment Authorisation a while ago.

I'm trying to establish California residency for tuition purposes, but (some of) the requirements are that:

- You have been physically present in CA for 1 year and 1 day as of the first day of term.

- You are either a citizen, LPR or are the holder of a valid visa that does not preclude you from establishing residence.

As far as I understand it, I'm not the holder of any visa, as K-1s are valid for what; 6 months?

Does anyone know what my immigration status is? I'm not a LPR until my AoS comes through, but I'm not a visa-holder either as far as I can tell?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi!

I'm pretty much in the same situation except I haven't even receive my EAD card yet. Yes we're not LPR yet, and not any visa holder either, but we're still legal to stay until our AOS is approved, as far as I can understand. It's pretty frustrating, I know :(

K-1 Visa
I-129F Sent : 2014-08-20
I-129F NOA1 : 2014-08-27
I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-29
NVC Received : 2014-11-20
NVC Left : 2014-11-20
Packet 3 Received : 2014-12-04
Packet 3 Sent : 2015-01-09
Packet 4 Received : 2015-01-14
Interview Date : 2015-02-24
Interview Result : Approved!! (L)
Visa Received : 2015-03-02
US Entry : 2015-04-02

Adjustment of Status, EAD & AP
Date Filed : 2015-05-19
NOA Date : 2015-05-21
Bio. Appt. : 2015-06-12

Submitted inquiry regarding EAD : 2015-08-10

Email reply received : 2015-08-12

EAD & AP Approved Date : 2015-08-12

EAD Approval Letter Received : 2015-08-17

Adjustment of Status

Interview Date : 2015-11-06

Approval Date : 2015-11-13 (L) (L) (L)

Greencard Received: 2015-11-16

Removing Condition Petition I-751

Date Filed : 2017-09-26
NOA Date : 2017-10-06
Bio. Appt. : 2017-10-23

Approval Date : 2018-12-20 (L) (L) (L)

Greencard Received: 2018-12-24

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Yeah, sorry, I don't think you're eligible for in-state tuition until you have a green card.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are kind of in limbo as an adjustment applicant in a period of authorized stay awaiting permanent residency.

You can always ask the school what exactly they will accept. See if they will allow it with the receipt notice of filing for permanent residency and/or the EAD.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.