salamjamal10

FORM I-864 as part of I-485 - K1 Fiance

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Hi,

I am filing for adjustment of status for my fiance (soon to be my wife). Since it is a matter of filing multiple forms, I decided to go ahead and start filing them by myself without hiring a lawyer. Tell me your suggestion about this. Do I need a lawyer to help me out filing I-485 package?

While going thru the forms needed to be completed, I have few questions about form I-864 affidavit of Support:

1. Do I need to file this form and include it in the I-485 package to be sent to USCIS?

2. They are asking me for the income taxes for the past 3 years, but I only started working middle of 2013. What to do and what to include? is it ok to include only 2013 and 2014 tax returns?

3.What other supporting documentation should I include with this form, for example: pay stubs, tax returns, bank statements, and proof of employment from employer, etc ???

Do I need a lawyer to help me out filing I-485 package? You do not, seve yourself the money, members here will be happy to asnwers any questions you have, they are experienced and you will learn a lot as well.

1. Do I need to file this form and include it in the I-485 package to be sent to USCIS? Yes, look at Guides here http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aosand you will see the list of documents necessary for the packet, some are forms you have to download from USCIS.GOV and some are documetns you have to provide yourself.

2. They are asking me for the income taxes for the past 3 years, but I only started working middle of 2013. What to do and what to include? is it ok to include only 2013 and 2014 tax returns? Yes, however you have to prove that you make above the poverty guidelines for the number of people residing in your household. There is other docs that you can submit.

3.What other supporting documentation should I include with this form, for example: pay stubs, tax returns, bank statements, and proof of employment from employer, etc ??? All of that.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Timeline

there is a question in Part 2 / 2.a below the mailing address

2.a. In Care Of Name ..........................................

Should I leave this blank, or write my name?

Also, on the same section:

2.g. Province

2.h. Postal Code (Is it different than Zip Code) ?

there is a question in Part 2 / 2.a below the mailing address

2.a. In Care Of Name ..........................................

Should I leave this blank, or write my name?

Also, on the same section:

2.g. Province

2.h. Postal Code (Is it different than Zip Code) ?

On my forms, I've left "In Care Of Name" blank. I think that is if you have an attorney representing you, but I'm not sure. At any rate, just you and your wife's name need to be on there.

Province can be omitted if you are residing in US (you would only use this if your domicile is in a country with provinces) and postal codes are normally alpha-numeric foreign zip codes. Zip codes are exclusively US (by USPS) and postal codes are the same, but the name used for all other countries. You know, America has to do things differently!! LOL

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The I-864 is a requirement of the I-485. The immigrant must have sponsorship for permanent residency.

For the years you did not file, you would put N/A , check the box for Part 6 #20 and provide a statement as to why you did not file. Read through the I-864 form instructions. http://www.uscis.gov/i-864

You only have to submit a copy of the most recent return or an IRS transcript. You should also include proof of current income, with a letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Family Based Visas - topic is AOS, not K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The I-864 is a requirement of the I-485. The immigrant must have sponsorship for permanent residency.

For the years you did not file, you would put N/A , check the box for Part 6 #20 and provide a statement as to why you did not file. Read through the I-864 form instructions. http://www.uscis.gov/i-864

You only have to submit a copy of the most recent return or an IRS transcript. You should also include proof of current income, with a letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Family Based Visas - topic is AOS, not K-1 ~

Thanks for the reply!

Got few more questions for the same part - part 6

1. I didn't file tax return on 2012 because I didn't work and I was at university. Do I need to provide a proof that I was a student?? How can I prove that I wasn't working?? and what the statement should look like??

2. for 18 a, what should I answer? I filed tax return for 2014 and 2013 but not 2012 because I wasn't working; I was a student

3. for #20, do I need to check that box, and if so what the evidence should look like for the year of 2012 since I didn't file tax return because I didn't work and was a student?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.