V24

Do I need two I-864 when using joint sponsor and do I put my income?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys,

My question is confusing and i am very stressed, one answer would be appreciated.

Situation:

I make over $60k a year, recently started 3 months ago. Used my income to support wife and had 2 pay stubs, and employment letter. Taxes show no income as I was a student. Received RFE asking for more proof or sponsor , don't have much more proof and want to use joint sponsor.

Question:

Do I need to submit my I-864 with no income for my sponsor to be used? Or do I just respond with the joint sponsor and they keep my I-864 which shows i clearly make over the poverty line anyway.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

They already have your I-864. You answer the RFE with another I-864 from a joint sponsor, plus their supporting documentation.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Your current income is what matters. The joint sponsor requirement is automated on rfe form in case you fail to provide current income proofs. You need to send in:

Your job contract stating annual salary .

Pay stubs, you should have more by now.

Explanation letter stating you just started your job.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Your current income is what matters. The joint sponsor requirement is automated on rfe form in case you fail to provide current income proofs. You need to send in:

Your job contract stating annual salary .

Pay stubs, you should have more by now.

Explanation letter stating you just started your job.

We did all of the above, we will have extra 2 more pay stubs so not much more than originally sent, the RFE asks for 12 months bank statements or assets etc, which we don't have. Therefore since we don't have sufficient proof, and we already had a joint sponsor prepared just incase we will be using it.

USCIS will accept the joint sponsor, right? I was thinking about including the new pay stubs just incase but feel like they will just get confused.

We did all of the above, we will have extra 2 more pay stubs so not much more than originally sent, the RFE asks for 12 months bank statements or assets etc, which we don't have. Therefore since we don't have sufficient proof, and we already had a joint sponsor prepared just incase we will be using it.

USCIS will accept the joint sponsor, right? I was thinking about including the new pay stubs just incase but feel like they will just get confused.

Bank statements and/or assets requirement is another option on rfe letter (besides current income proofs and joint sponsor.)

If you don't feel confident with your current income proofs, provide joint sponsor i-864 along with citizenship/gc documents and income proofs.

N400

We provided them with bank statements too actually, so there would literally only be 2 pay stubs and another bank statement to answer the RFE with :/ So i'm not that confident about it. They will accept the joint sponsor even though the income says 65,000 year for myself though right?

I hope they won't think 'they make enough so they don't need a joint sponsor' and then 'oh but they don' have enough evident so lets RFE them again'

Ok - maybe I am overthinking this, or am i haha

We provided them with bank statements too actually, so there would literally only be 2 pay stubs and another bank statement to answer the RFE with :/ So i'm not that confident about it. They will accept the joint sponsor even though the income says 65,000 year for myself though right?

I hope they won't think 'they make enough so they don't need a joint sponsor' and then 'oh but they don' have enough evident so lets RFE them again'

Ok - maybe I am overthinking this, or am i haha

Yes you are actually. Well then supply more proofs of your current income + new set of joint sponsor I-864. You will be fine. Good luck.

N400

One more thing to take note:

If your sponsor is married AND files tax jointly in spouse, the spouse might need to fill an I-864A.

N400

No we had no idea about this, he DOES file his taxes jointly, however his wife makes no income (housewife) therefore, I plan on including the W2s along with the 1090's , I just asked them to apply for the transcripts for the past 3 years to be safe. I don't think she needs to fill in a form since she makes $0 at all.

Okie dokie. Submit those ASAP to get EAD and interview date. Good luck on your AOS.

N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.