Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Green Card holder and would like to stay in the Philippines for a year

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


My Dad is going back to the Philippines so he can recover from his cardiac arrest two years ago. Thank God he gave him second chance to leave. He is physcially fit but have brain damage and his doctor recommends that he needs brain activity which we can't give to him since all of us at the house work and he is by himself at the house everyday. By going to the Philippines, we are hoping that he will get improve since most of our family are back there and are willing to help him.

My problem now is I don't know how long he can stay in the Philippines. Can he stay for a year? He is not American Citizen and he arrived here in the US in October 2011. What should we do to avoid his US residency being revoked.

Thank you all for your help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Apply for a Re-Entry Permit. He must have his biometrics in the US before he can leave and still receive his Re-Entry Permit. The Permit will allow him to stay outside the US for up to 2 years. However, he must maintain his ties to the US to keep his LPR status. Google "maintaining legal permanent residency."

Best of luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.