10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all. I am recently married and about to file for AOS (also EAD And AP) on fiancé k-1 visa. I am wanting to change my last name but I would rather wait to do that. Would anyone have any suggestions on whether that is going to be difficult to do? Or would it be easier to apply with my new last name now ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you are going to change your last name, then fill out all the AOS forms in your new married name. The name you use on the forms is the name your EAD/AP and green cards will come with. Changing the name on the green card later takes months and hundreds more for the fee to do it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

If you are going to change your last name, then fill out all the AOS forms in your new married name. The name you use on the forms is the name your EAD/AP and green cards will come with. Changing the name on the green card later takes months and hundreds more for the fee to do it.

Okay thanks for the response! I was just wondering if they needed some sort of document showing my name changed already. But that's the problem, I haven't changed it yet! Hope it's not an issue !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Okay thanks for the response! I was just wondering if they needed some sort of document showing my name changed already. But that's the problem, I haven't changed it yet! Hope it's not an issue !

The only document they need is the marriage certificate with your new married name. If you didn't use that avenue to change your name then I believe it will be more difficult to change your name legally.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not really, my marriage certificate has my maiden name and not my married one, yet I filled all my paperwork with my married name and use maiden name on "other names" in all of the forms.

My EAD came with my married name, as well as all the letters they have sent me. just when you go to the biometrics app take your marriage certificate with you, because they don't have your file, they only take your fingerprints and need proof of your name.

So just fill with your maiden name, that way every single document you get from the government will be the same and no need to change it later. Corrections cost money.

Timeline

Your marriage certificate is your legal name change document, whether or not it specifies what name you intend to use after marriage.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Not really, my marriage certificate has my maiden name and not my married one, yet I filled all my paperwork with my married name and use maiden name on "other names" in all of the forms.

My EAD came with my married name, as well as all the letters they have sent me. just when you go to the biometrics app take your marriage certificate with you, because they don't have your file, they only take your fingerprints and need proof of your name.

So just fill with your maiden name, that way every single document you get from the government will be the same and no need to change it later. Corrections cost money.

Did you mean when I go to biometrics use my married name? Because my marriage certificate has maiden name but I would like everything to have my married name. So you're saying still fill out everything with my new last name even though it's not on my marriage certificate? lol sorry I'm confused Lesson learned is that We should have gotten marriage license with new last name lol

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Sorry, on the last sentence I meant to say married name.

Yes, you will do check in, and the form they give you use your married name, just bring your marriage license because your husband's name is in there, which is the one you intend to use, they will just use it as proof of name. I went twice, I made the mistake of not filling EAD at the same time, so I had to go twice. The first time I didn't bring the certificate so they use my maiden name as I didn't have proof, with a note with my married name. The second time I was prepared, I filled it with my married name, and no problem as long as you have your marriage certificate with you.

Today I went to change my social security card, and just brought my new EAD (married name) and my marriage certicate (has my maiden name but also my husband's name) and no problem, as long as the last name that you want to have is on that certicate even if is only on husband's section is ok.

And like I said, you really want to fill everything with your new last name, that way every single document that the U.S. government gives you will be up to date, and for free.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Did you mean when I go to biometrics use my married name? Because my marriage certificate has maiden name but I would like everything to have my married name. So you're saying still fill out everything with my new last name even though it's not on my marriage certificate? lol sorry I'm confused Lesson learned is that We should have gotten marriage license with new last name lol

Not all marriage licenses specifically have a space for a new married last name. My wife chose to change her family name to mine and the only indication on the license was her signature which is hard to read. We proceeded to fill out the AOS package with her new name and her EAD and GC arrived with that name. Once we received those with her married name we went and changed her SSC, driver's license, and bank records. The only thing still in her maiden name is her Russian international passport, so when she went there we booked the trip in her maiden name. So even if the marriage license doesn't explicitly show your new married name, it is still a legal name change document. Fill out your AOS forms with it and you should be fine.

Good Luck!

P.s. My wife always carries a copy of the marriage license with her just in case there are any questions.

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

Your state is probably one of the many that does not list the name after marriage on the certificate. Many states do not ask you to list what name you intend to use after married. It is still your legal name change document.

For example, here in FL, the marriage certificate is basically just a copy of the marriage license. Only the names at the time of purchasing the license are listed.

Use your married name on all the forms, if you are changing it because you married.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.