okko

Time it took to go from a K1-Visa to get a Green Card

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to find any specific information about it, so I'm interested in knowing; how long did it take you to go from a K1-Visa to a Green Card and how soon did you apply? I'm sure I'll be missing my home and traveling once I arrive so I would like to know how soon I would more or less be able to travel without filing any forms (even if you got your green card a long time ago, I still think it would be interesting to hear) :D

qFTGp2.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just in case you didin't know already.....You can travel prior to receiving your greencard by filing for Advanced Parole when filing for AOS.

6.7)...Can my spouse leave the United States, and then re-enter, before receiving the Green Card (conditional permanent residency)?
A...The spouse cannot re-enter the US unless they have "advance parole" authorization (application form I-131). Advance parole allows you to re-enter the US before approval of Adjustment of Status. Without advance parole approval, leaving the United States is considered an abandonment of your application for Adjustment of Status. Without advance parole approval, the USCIS (INS) will consider you an intending immigrant without a valid visa, and you will be denied entry. If you do not apply for advance parole when you file for Adjustment of Status, contact your local USCIS (INS) office to find out how long it takes them to issue Advance Parole. Although advance parole is supposed to be issued to anyone who wants it for any reason at all, some local USCIS (INS) offices may take weeks or months, and may require proof of a serious emergency.

If you have left the US without advance parole approval, you will most likely have to apply for a "spousal visa" (I-130 Petition for Alien Relative) to re-enter the US. This can take months. Any other legal remedies through US Consulates will be time-consuming as well.

Current policy is that Advance Parole applications are sent to a national address for initial processing. In some cases your local office may accept these applications. It is worth calling them to check if this is possible. If so they be able to process the application faster. In emergencies a local office is able to process them locally without having to file the application with the national address. Contact them for more information.

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to find any specific information about it, so I'm interested in knowing; how long did it take you to go from a K1-Visa to a Green Card and how soon did you apply? I'm sure I'll be missing my home and traveling once I arrive so I would like to know how soon I would more or less be able to travel without filing any forms (even if you got your green card a long time ago, I still think it would be interesting to hear) :D

Not sure what you mean about being able to travel without filing any forms. You have to file forms for everything. If you enter on a K-1 and don't file any forms, then you can't travel internationally without voiding the process and having to start over.

After you are married, you file the AOS paperwork. Filing for EAD and AP is free if filed with AOS. The EAD/AP card takes about 90 days. Green card can take a year+.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Working & Traveling forum, on the basis of the query. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.