cjhmdm

NSO BC illegible

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Long story short, my fiancees NSO birth certificate is essentially illegible. We asked at the local NSO office if they could update her BC on file so it can actually be read, but they said that all we can do is go to the City Hall where her birth was registered and ask for a letter that, basically, states the BC is valid. I don't think this would help our case because there isn't any question regarding the validity of her NSO BC, the problem is, you can't really read anything on it.

Now, my fiancee does have her original BC, which I know won't really hold any weight on it's own; just noting that she does have this (as tattered and old as it is).

Also, she was able to get her passport using the illegible NSO BC, but I worry the US Embassy/USCIS will require that you be able to actually read what's on there.

ANyone run into any issues like this before? What can we do, or what do we need to do, considering the NSO people basically told her there's nothing they can do?

Long story short, my fiancees NSO birth certificate is essentially illegible. We asked at the local NSO office if they could update her BC on file so it can actually be read, but they said that all we can do is go to the City Hall where her birth was registered and ask for a letter that, basically, states the BC is valid. I don't think this would help our case because there isn't any question regarding the validity of her NSO BC, the problem is, you can't really read anything on it.

Now, my fiancee does have her original BC, which I know won't really hold any weight on it's own; just noting that she does have this (as tattered and old as it is).

Also, she was able to get her passport using the illegible NSO BC, but I worry the US Embassy/USCIS will require that you be able to actually read what's on there.

ANyone run into any issues like this before? What can we do, or what do we need to do, considering the NSO people basically told her there's nothing they can do?

Just to be clear, although we know that the embassy individuals are less than consistent in how/when they enforce the requirements, the actually requirements do state that a NSO Authenticated Life Birth Certificate is required. This is only issued form the NSO offices - both main and provincial ones. There are birth certificates available from the Local Civil Registry Office of the town/barangay where the birth took place, put these are NOT NSO issued BC's and do not, by themselves, meet the letter of the stated requirements in the Interview Packet.

The issue of ledgability is a persistant one. If the actually original on file with records at NSO Manila is unledgabile, then well - that's just the way it is. ( a 'supporting' bc like that from the civil registrar might be helpful in ADDITION TO the NSO copy. Many times, the problem is that the Original copy on record at NSO Central Records is (barely) legible, but the printers and copy machines they use are so badly maintained that the copy that NSO makes to give you is unlegiable. What can be done is actually go to the manila NSO central records office and have them hand you the copy right off the copier. If it is poor, I ask them to change the tonor, clean the drum and recopy...and I WOULDN'T LEAVE unitl they do so...regardless of what hour they say they close.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

My NSO BC was also unreadable. What NSO told you to do, I did. I went to the local civil registrar of the city I was born in, told the clerk about the problem. I believe this problem happens quite often as she didn't ask any further question. I showed my unreadable BC to her. She said they will issue a transcript (whatever that is, I didn't know at the time). I was asked to pay a fee, I don't remember exactly how much, but I think between P300-P500. She gave a receipt. I was asked to come back after two weeks.

When I came back, she gave me my copy of their letter to NSO containing the basic info of my birth (father/mother/date and place of birth). I went to NSO, showed this copy. I was asked to order how many copies I needed, paid a fee for the copy/ies (just like you would order and pay for the real BC). I was given a receipt and a date to pick up the document. The document I picked up was exactly the same as the copy of the letter I was given at the local civil registrar, just that it was on NSO security paper (yellow color). During my interview, I brought the unreadable BC and transcript. The unreadable one was looked at but was not taken, the transcript was accepted.

My NSO BC was also unreadable. What NSO told you to do, I did. I went to the local civil registrar of the city I was born in, told the clerk about the problem. I believe this problem happens quite often as she didn't ask any further question. I showed my unreadable BC to her. She said they will issue a transcript (whatever that is, I didn't know at the time). I was asked to pay a fee, I don't remember exactly how much, but I think between P300-P500. She gave a receipt. I was asked to come back after two weeks.

When I came back, she gave me my copy of their letter to NSO containing the basic info of my birth (father/mother/date and place of birth). I went to NSO, showed this copy. I was asked to order how many copies I needed, paid a fee for the copy/ies (just like you would order and pay for the real BC). I was given a receipt and a date to pick up the document. The document I picked up was exactly the same as the copy of the letter I was given at the local civil registrar, just that it was on NSO security paper (yellow color). During my interview, I brought the unreadable BC and transcript. The unreadable one was looked at but was not taken, the transcript was accepted.

This process you speak off doesn't surprise me. You have to pay them to make you whole again because they can't make a better attempt then stone tablets.

Amazing!!

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

^^^ This.

A friend of ours went through the same procedure.

Timeline

Thanks for all the information everyone. Now we know what to do and hopefully we're one step closer to getting to the point where we can actually start moving forward with getting this ball rolling.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.