Dantrolene

The I-485 Package: Checklist..Need Help Please!

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I am married to a US spouse and want to change my status from B1B2 visa to GC.

Regarding the I-485 package guide on this forum, I don't know how the following forms are important in my case and whether they are required to fill in and submit them or not!?

16. I-485 Supplement A, and penalty fee if applicable. See 8 CFR 245.10 17. I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability**, if applicable

Any informative answer on what are these meant for ? Thanks.

Another Question please, as I have to fill in I130 and I458 forms, they need 2 copies of marriage certificate for each one. And I have only one. Can I make a copy myself using copy machine ? Or do I have to issue another copy from the King County records office ?

In the US people cannot file for adjustment of status if the individual was not inspected by an immigration officer, worked here illegally, or went out of status (the last two are forgiven if the petitioner is an immediate relative.) They have to leave the US and process their case from outside the US. In the 90's congress passed a law, 245(i), that allowed these individuals to adjust status in the US as long as they paid a fee. The law expired in 2001 and it sounds as if it doesn't affect your case. Only people who are grandfathered into this law fill out I-485 Supplement A. In regard to your marriage certificate, you only need to send a photo copy. Take the official copies to the interview.

In the US people cannot file for adjustment of status if the individual was not inspected by an immigration officer, worked here illegally, or went out of status (the last two are forgiven if the petitioner is an immediate relative.) They have to leave the US and process their case from outside the US. In the 90's congress passed a law, 245(i), that allowed these individuals to adjust status in the US as long as they paid a fee. The law expired in 2001 and it sounds as if it doesn't affect your case. Only people who are grandfathered into this law fill out I-485 Supplement A. In regard to your marriage certificate, you only need to send a photo copy. Take the official copies to the interview.

Thank you for your informative answer. Sounds like I am not candidate to fill out these two forms in the package. That's a relief!

Regarding the birth certificate, I have only one original official governmental English translation, beside the original home country language one. Do I have to send the original or just photo copy of each one ? Thanks again

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You need to send the original English translation and the photocopies of the birth certificate in your language.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Thank you for your informative answer. Sounds like I am not candidate to fill out these two forms in the package. That's a relief!

Regarding the birth certificate, I have only one original official governmental English translation, beside the original home country language one. Do I have to send the original or just photo copy of each one ? Thanks again

When you say "two forms", I'm not sure which other form you are referring to. If you are referring to form I-485, you do have to fill it out and send it.

The translation must be the original signed by the translator. A photo copy of your birth certificate is sufficient.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.