jsree84

ESTA got voided but shows approved online

22 posts in this topic

No matter what you do, don't go for the interview. I don't think they'll bother, you'll just lose the money you paid. They will reject your application, almost certainly. I even went in with my employer's letter stating I'm coming back within 4 months! I wanted an extra month to spend time with my in-laws. Now my VWP is revoked and I can't enter the US until my green card is approved. As a fellow Singaporean, I cannot emphasize more on skipping your B2 application.

Hi, I just read this post and my heart sank because now I'm not sure how my B2 visa application will turn out. Any advice on my situation will be much appreciated!

I am a Singapore citizen and met my US citizen boyfriend online. We've been dating long distance for more than a year. We want to date in the same place before committing to marriage so the plan is for me to be in the U.S. for a while. I'm quitting my job and have submitted my DS-160 application, made payment, and my application interview is on 2 Oct.

I'm planning to be in the U.S. for 6-8 months. My fear now is that if the officer thinks I have the intention to migrate, I might be denied the B2 Visa and have my VWP revoked! Now I wish I hadn't bothered and just planned to visit for 90 days under the VWP :/

Filed: Other Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for responding!!

I've been to the U.S. twice, once each in 2014 (April for 2 weeks) and 2015 (Feb for 2 weeks).

If I buy a return ticket leaving this November and returning in less than 90 days, do you think immigration in U.S. upon arrival will make things difficult for me? I'm wondering if they'd have access to records that I applied for B2 Visa but did not go through with it (I.e. Cancelled the appointment). If they do ask, I could always say I wanted a longer break but that did not work out hence no point for me to go for the interview (with regrets)?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A visa application has 2 possible outcomes, approval or enial. No show is a denial.

A denial means that you nee to update ESTA, some people are re authorised, some are refused, those refused on averaged are approve 6 months or so later. No guarantee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

This is all pretty unfortunate. All I wanted to do was go by the books and had no intention of overstaying whatever period is allowed me. We've even done research on the fiancée visa and considering many of the documents require me to be present in Singapore in order to apply for them, had every intention to return home. If I'd known about the immigrant presumption I'd have been happy to just go with the 90 days. Hard lesson learnt.

I find it odd that changing my mind and canceling the interview would amount to a denial though. Does it say so anywhere in any statute/regulation/policy?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I find it odd that changing my mind and canceling the interview would amount to a denial though. Does it say so anywhere in any statute/regulation/policy?

You have applied, the interview is a part of the process, usually a very minor part.

I am sure it is covered somewhere in the FAM.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I tried searching the FAM.. I did not read the whole document (would take days) but based on my search, couldn't find anything which says that if I cancel an interview appointment, it would amount to a denial.

I read through some hits on "failure to appear for interview" but they were for other types of US visas. Further, the consequence stated was "this may ultimately result in your case being administratively closed." That's different from a denial.

Another thing: the Visa application website says that once I pay the application fee, it is valid for one year from date of payment and my interview must be booked within this period. I take this to mean that there would be no verdict if I were to cancel my current appointment because I can always book another one within this one year period. Technically, if I wanted to, I could plan a <90 day trip under VWP first and the option is open to try for the B2 later, so long as within the validity period.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.