savagemiss

Thoroughly confussed

11 posts in this topic

Hi we are just starting this whole process after ditching attempts for my US husband to join me here in the UK.

After reserching what we needed to do we thought we had it down but the more we read into things the more we are getting confussed and have so many more questions. we are now doubting which route we should take. i wondered if anyone could take a little time and explain a few things in simple terms so we could make a better decision?

Thanx in advance

1. We believe the I-130 is the first step. Right?

we would then recieve a I-797 as a reciept?

This is where we get confused

we figure there are 2 options open to us...

..... An I-485 (greencard) option where as i would be able to travel and live in the US while this is being processed aslong as we have the I-797. Is that right?

..... An I-129 with or without an f as diferent sites seem to have an F and others don't. do they mean the same? once that has been approved apply for a K3 visa only then then i can settle in US?

Seems like the fist option is would get me there so much quicker and with less stress but it seems to easy? well not easy but you know what i mean.

Could someone please explain the difference a little easier and i am sorry if i sound totally stupid but what is an IR-1/ CR-1 as i dont seem to see those written anywhere but here.

P.S it is for me and my son to go (step-son to the USC)

IR1/CR1 are both spouse visas and the paperwork is the same so often shown with the / on this website.

CR1- married less than two years- gets you a two year greencard upon entry to US. That greencard has to have conditions removed with more paperwork and proof of a valid marriage before it's expiration. If successful, you then get a 10 year greencard.

IR1- married more than 2 years- gets you a 10 year greencard upon entry to US. You do not have to file paperwork to remove conditions.

Try reading this guide on the process. Not great, but a start. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

There's really no reason for an I-129F. That is an old way to get a K3 visa that is pretty much extinct, yet still on the books.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are no real options, how long have you been married?

PS UK route is much quicker.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Rough outline of process-- it will not happen quickly

I-130 petition and payment to USCIS

I-797 is a Notice of Action. Commonly called NOA1 (your receipt)

Wait a long time for USCIS to approve your petition.

I-797 Notice of Action. Commonly called NOA2 (your petition approval notice)

Case sent to the National Visa Center NVC

More forms, money, and documents sent to NVC. Several months there.

Eventually you get assigned a visa interview date and the file ships off to London.

You have a medical exam in London.

Go back to London for interview.

Wait for visa to get delivered.

Pay another fee that is for your greencard.

Enter US

2 or 10 year greencard will arrive in mail at US address.

IR1/CR1 route = $1060 + £295

$420 (USCIS) I-130 petition

$325 (National Visa Center) Visa fee

$120 (National Visa Center) Affidavit of Support Review fee

£45 ACPO Police certificate https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

£250 (Knightsbridge Doctors) medical exam http://www.visamedicals.info/us.asp

$30 Courier fee if home delivery, $0 to pick up at a depot

$165.00 (USCIS) Immigrant Fee via the Department of State's website - https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I-485 is a form you will never use.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Rough outline of process-- it will not happen quickly

I-130 petition and payment to USCIS

I-797 is a Notice of Action. Commonly called NOA1 (your receipt)

Wait a long time for USCIS to approve your petition.

I-797 Notice of Action. Commonly called NOA2 (your petition approval notice)

Case sent to the National Visa Center NVC

More forms, money, and documents sent to NVC. Several months there.

Eventually you get assigned a visa interview date and the file ships off to London.

You have a medical exam in London.

Go back to London for interview.

Wait for visa to get delivered.

Pay another fee that is for your greencard.

Enter US

2 or 10 year greencard will arrive in mail at US address.

IR1/CR1 route = $1060 + £295

$420 (USCIS) I-130 petition

$325 (National Visa Center) Visa fee

$120 (National Visa Center) Affidavit of Support Review fee

£45 ACPO Police certificate https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

£250 (Knightsbridge Doctors) medical exam http://www.visamedicals.info/us.asp

$30 Courier fee if home delivery, $0 to pick up at a depot

$165.00 (USCIS) Immigrant Fee via the Department of State's website - https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx

Hi Nick,

What are the more forms sent to the NVC? you say its not fast but on average how long is an uncomplicated one do you think. i only ask because my son turns 21 in Dec next year and some websites say if visa is not granted before then it becomes nul and void others say it carries on so just to be on safe side i would like to be done by then.

Timeline

Hmm, so 19 at the moment, how old was he when you married.

Assume about a year.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Boiler,

The UK route is much harder with very strict guidlines. vertually impossible to pass if you are a normal working class woman who lives outside London. It is much more expensive too especially when he had 2 children to come with him too. We always wanted to settle in USA but wanted to be in the UK while my Children grew up and left home.

Timeline

The financial requirement is a bit higher, but anyway water under the bridge, the US process is a bigger pain otherwise, a friend of mine did the UK process in a month and he was not rushing.

Wow that seems really quick. it took me 2 years and 2 promotions to meet the requirments but yeah as you say its all water under the bridge now. does anyone know how to file. in the UK route you apply online then send paper copy too is it the same here?

he was 15 when we married

Timeline

Sounds like you have not read the Guides, start there and then ask any questions you have. Your husband would be filing for you and his step son.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.