Faust942

Canadian Healthcare and OHIP

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Alot of helpful Canadians on this site have moved to the USA.

Once I move to the USA, do I need to give up my OHIP? I'm going to really miss our free Canadian healthcare.

Any advice for the moving Canadian?

Edited by Faust942

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

What kind of visa are you coming on? Does a spouse have medical insurance through work? You can purchase insurance as well.

You continue to file Canadian taxes as well, especially if you plan on collecting Canadian Pension one day.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Once u become a resident of the USA, no more Cdn healthcare! The healthcare is not free..paid for my Cdn taxes.......You will still be a Cdn citizen, just not a resident.....

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

What kind of visa are you coming on? Does a spouse have medical insurance through work? You can purchase insurance as well.

You continue to file Canadian taxes as well, especially if you plan on collecting Canadian Pension one day.

I'm coming on I-130. Wife has insurance through her mother.

What process do I need to go through when I do move? What do I need to do to tell the Canadian government my change of residency?

Once u become a resident of the USA, no more Cdn healthcare! The healthcare is not free..paid for my Cdn taxes.......You will still be a Cdn citizen, just not a resident.....

Even if I pay for Canadian taxes while living in the USA, I still loose my OHIP?

Timeline

What process do I need to go through when I do move? What do I need to do to tell the Canadian government my change of residency?

Even if I pay for Canadian taxes while living in the USA, I still loose my OHIP?

You don't need to tell the government anything but they will know. And yes even if you pay your taxes you still lose it. You're not a resident so why should you keep the privilege?

Not sure about Ontario, but I do pay Canadian taxes, a penalty because I'm non resident... And I am not eligible to RAMQ coverage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

say u leave for the USA this yr on ur CR-1 or IR-1...... When filling out ur Canadian taxes for 2015, right on the front page of the Canadian taxes (used to be front page) it asks whn u ceased to be a Cdn resident. For u that will be the day u crossed into the USA and endorsed (activated) ur visa at the Border (or airport).

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Really? I don't think I'll be eligible for Canadian Pension so maybe this doesn't apply to me but I was told that if I don't have any income in Canada then I don't need to continue filing taxes every year. I just filed the year I left for exit taxes etc.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

Really? I don't think I'll be eligible for Canadian Pension so maybe this doesn't apply to me but I was told that if I don't have any income in Canada then I don't need to continue filing taxes every year. I just filed the year I left for exit taxes etc.

It depends on how long you've been employed and such. My parents had worked in canada about 30 years and will qualify for it.

Timeline

It depends on how long you've been employed and such. My parents had worked in canada about 30 years and will qualify for it.

That makes sense. For me it was just 5 and a half years part time. So I am far from qualifying.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

I am guessing you folks are young since you mention your wife is covered under her mom - adults can still be covered until age 26 under their parents through the Affordable Care Act (aka Obama Care).

You will be required to obtain healthcare coverage of some kind - either through the state healthcare exchange (if the state you are going to has 1) or through healthcare.gov or under your wife's employer - she would have to take health ins. through her employer in order for her spouse to obtain coverage.

Yep - it will cost $$$, something to consider during the immigration process. Once you get a job, its wise to look for an employer who offers healthcare coverage or make enough to afford your own.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Just note that a lot of employers only offer health care if you're full time but many will only start you out as "part time". Your clock to be able to be get coverage may not begin until you're actually a full time worker.

For instance: Target only offers health care and other benefits to full time workers. You have to have worked for them, as a full time worker, for 1 year to be able to get any benefits. But most people are hired as part time workers. They stopped offering part time worker benefits when obamacare came into effect.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Agree this is quite dependent on whether you're an hourly worker or the type of industry/field ....a lot of hourly jobs do not want to classify an employee as full time since it costs them.

I think someone in a salaried career is rarely going to encounter this (IT or teaching , engineering etc...). in the DC they can't fill the jobs available and health insurance is one of the perks they use to entice people

Just note that a lot of employers only offer health care if you're full time but many will only start you out as "part time". Your clock to be able to be get coverage may not begin until you're actually a full time worker.

For instance: Target only offers health care and other benefits to full time workers. You have to have worked for them, as a full time worker, for 1 year to be able to get any benefits. But most people are hired as part time workers. They stopped offering part time worker benefits when obamacare came into effect.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.