SparklePony

Names on SS card and USCIS paperwork don't completely match

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm posting just to see if there may be an issue here. When I went to the SSA office to get my name on my social security card changed to my married name, the officer we spoke to (who was not only very nice and courteous, but also tried his best to help) hit a snag because of the length of my name. As a Portuguese national it is very common to have several words in our birth names - I have 5. No matter how much he tried, my new name, even after dropping a word due to marriage, wouldn't fit. He and his supervisor ended up telling us not to worry about it and they would make it work with DHS, and that was that. I have now received my new card in the mail and it has 4 words on it.

However, in the AOS paperwork, what I did was take one of the middle words out and add my husband's name at the end, essentially moving my previous last name to the middle name spot and using his name as my new last name. This means that my AOS biometrics letter, the only thing so far that had ny full name on the AOS paperwork, came in the mail with my name as having 5 words on it.

So, long story, but can this be an issue? It's not that the names are wrong - it's just that the name on the card is "incomplete".

Thank you.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

try to extend a bit on name matching with ssn,

thinking about :

1. e-verify

2. income tax filing

3. credit reports

4. car insurance

5. car titles

6. house deed

and then maybe, after all of this thinking, you'll decide to 'settle' on a name that fits mostly in to 'the computer system'...

you might not arrive at 'the answer' today, but ...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

The biggest issue is with my home country and what they will or not accept as my name change, because the Portuguese can't "lose" names when they marry...

But thanks. I'll look into it more closely. Much appreciated, Darnell.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

The N-400 journey:

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

JOrOp1.png

Timeline

ya, usa computer systems store 'title firstname middlename lastname suffix' and that's it.

Dr. Ira Stephen Johnson, III , as an example.

as to a name change back in portugal - is there a real benefit to doing this? if no, i say not do it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I will eventually have to do it, because my Passport will expire in a few years (2018, I believe). They won't issue one with my new name unless the name has been updated on the system... Also, because I still have the custody of my children pending, in the Portuguese family court, updating my name legally in Portugal may have important (positive) consequences in that.

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

The N-400 journey:

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

JOrOp1.png

Timeline

ok - i vote for truncate everywhere. not today and not instantly, but maybe after 2 years...

Edited by Darnell

Timeline

:thumbs:

Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks. :)

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

The N-400 journey:

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

JOrOp1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.