pumpernickle

Anyone re-schedule the interview date?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi:

I just received my interview date which I won't be able to make it.The reason is that I will be visiting my home country and I already purchased very expensive plain ticket.

Where can I find a sample letter that requests rescheduling of the interview date?

Do u think visiting my home country during this time would be a problem?

Thnx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi:

I just received my interview date which I won't be able to make it.The reason is that I will be visiting my home country and I already purchased very expensive plain ticket.

Where can I find a sample letter that requests rescheduling of the interview date?

Thnx

You need to return the interview letter along with an explanation of why you can't attend. Make sure you list the earliest date you'll be available for an interview. Lots of people do this; and many have their interviews rescheduled within 1 to 3 months, but others end up with complications including:

The interview not being rescheduled

The interview being reschedule for before they return from their trip

The rescheduling request resulting in a delay of many months.

There's nothing wrong with rescheduling, USCIS allows it, but you should be aware that sometimes the request can backfire. Speaking for myself, I wouldnonly reschedule in an emergency, but if it'll cost too much to change your travel dates, you can reschedule and hopefully you won't have to wait long. As I said many people end up with an interview date just a couple of months later or even sooner.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

You need to return the interview letter along with an explanation of why you can't attend. Make sure you list the earliest date you'll be available for an interview. Lots of people do this; and many have their interviews rescheduled within 1 to 3 months, but others end up with complications including:

The interview not being rescheduled

The interview being reschedule for before they return from their trip

The rescheduling request resulting in a delay of many months.

There's nothing wrong with rescheduling, USCIS allows it, but you should be aware that sometimes the request can backfire. Speaking for myself, I wouldnonly reschedule in an emergency, but if it'll cost too much to change your travel dates, you can reschedule and hopefully you won't have to wait long. As I said many people end up with an interview date just a couple of months later or even sooner.

sure will do.

Thnx

Timeline

Hi:

Thnx

When did you get the Case complete and interview? Im still waiting for interview date for Montreal.

Timeline

If it is not a life or death emergency, then consider to re-schedule your trip.

why would u say that?

When did you get the Case complete and interview? Im still waiting for interview date for Montreal.

It took me 10-11 months to get an interview date for Montreal if this is what u asking.

This is when I was back in Canada.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

why would u say that?

All I meant to say if there is any possibility to reschedule your trip rather than interview unless if there is some absolute emergency that requires to reschedule the interview at any cost.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a trip to Florida planned for when my interview was initially scheduled. Tickets were bought and hotel was booked. It wasn't an emergency, but I had no major issues and perhaps only a six week delay. I only had a minor hiccup which I will describe below.

Here is the letter I wrote. It gets sent to the address on the I-797C which should be your local field office. Replace the travel dates with those that would fit your scenario:

U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services

JW Peck Federal Bldg, Room 6-526

550 Main Street

Cincinnati, OH 45202

RE: Request for New Appointment for Naturalization Initial Interview

Application Number: [Case Number]

A#[ANumber]

Name: [My Name]

Dear Sir/Madam:

Hello, I am writing to request a new date for my Naturalization Initial Interview. I will be traveling out of state between the dates of Friday August 29, 2014 and Monday September 8, 2014.

Could you please reschedule my naturalization initial interview for on or before August 28, 2014 or on or after September 9, 2014?

I have attached evidence of my travel in the form of my flight itinerary with Southwest Airlines. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you shortly regarding a new date for my Naturalization Initial Interview.

Sincerely,

[My Name]

Attachments:

• Form I-797C Notice of Action – Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview.

• Flight Itinerary with Southwest Airlines.

I also provided a copy of my flight itinerary and be sure to keep a copy of the I-797C and send the original back with your letter requesting your interview to be rescheduled.

Now the hiccup that I had. I sent the letter and hadn't received any response shortly before my travel dates. I scheduled an InfoPass appointment and had to go in to the Cincinnati office. They found the letter I sent, but nothing had been done with it. It was just shoved in my file. They said I would be getting a new interview notice shortly. Sure enough, when I returned from my trip, I had a new letter in the mail with my new interview date.

Go ahead and send the letter requesting your interview be rescheduled, UNLESS you really are needing to get through the process as fast as possible.

Timeline

What I mean was from Case complete to interview date and when did they give you the date of your interview.

Its almost a month now I'm still waiting fie my interview schedule. Just hoping to get a timeline

Edited by jhondhrey

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Haiti
Timeline

There's a reason why they clearly stated on the letter that you should keep this interview date even if you have plan that day. Because honestly if I was USCIS the new policy would be to reschedule the interview 6 months from the date of cancellation because of the burden on the interviewer when an appointment is cancelled. The only way I would cancel my interview date is if my son is admitted to ER with serious life threatening condition which is unlikely. Not going to cancel such interview to take a trip to Paris or Italy.

You can cancel or reschedule for all we care but at the very least we understand how hard it is to get an interview date to begin with. This is why most will recommend cancel the trip and go finish what you started.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

There's a reason why they clearly stated on the letter that you should keep this interview date even if you have plan that day. Because honestly if I was USCIS the new policy would be to reschedule the interview 6 months from the date of cancellation because of the burden on the interviewer when an appointment is cancelled. The only way I would cancel my interview date is if my son is admitted to ER with serious life threatening condition which is unlikely. Not going to cancel such interview to take a trip to Paris or Italy.

You can cancel or reschedule for all we care but at the very least we understand how hard it is to get an interview date to begin with. This is why most will recommend cancel the trip and go finish what you started.

I am not sure what the burden is, as long as you ask for the interview to be rescheduled well in advance. They likely just fill that time slot with someone else. Life happens, people have previous plans. They offer the option to reschedule, there is nothing wrong with doing that. I don't understand why you say it is so hard to get an interview date to begin with. Almost everyone that files form N400 will get an interview.

Timeline

You might wish to ask you question in a new thread instead of highjacking this thread which is in the Citizenship forum and the OP asked a question about their own situation...Good poster etiquette :)

What I mean was from Case complete to interview date and when did they give you the date of your interview.

Its almost a month now I'm still waiting fie my interview schedule. Just hoping to get a timeline

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

You might wish to ask you question in a new thread instead of highjacking this thread which is in the Citizenship forum and the OP asked a question about their own situation...Good poster etiquette :)

Sorry. I was asking the OP because she/he don't have a timeline.

Timeline

Ahh - she/he is referring to citizenship interview...she's 3-5 yrs past where you are :)

Sorry. I was asking the OP because she/he don't have a timeline.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.