AlexandraDiana

Interview coming, some concerns!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi, VJ friends, I posted this before but I didn't get an answer, please, if you could come with some advice, it's greatly appreciated!

My husband hasn't worekd for the last 5 years because he agreed to take care of his grandparents farm after they passed away and his parents offered him the house to live in it for free since he dedicated his time to look for the property.

How is this for the interview?

I know somebody posted a similar situation but I can't find who they were.

Thank you for your time and answers!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not sure what you are asking. If you are asking if the parents simply gifting him their house will be enough for the I-864 without having a joint sponsor, then I doubt it. Assets need to be able to be liquified within a year without hardship. Selling the home you live in sounds like a hardship. Not sure a house alone will be accepted. If you do list the house, you need to provide an appraisal and proof of no liens in order to get the net value.

From the I-864 instructions >

Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owner's claim of its net cash value.

You may include the net value of your home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home, minus the sum of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include the net value of your home, this, you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas - AOS from F-1, not family based ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I'm sorry for the confusing post, we actually got an interview appointment, my father in law is the sponsor since my husband, the petitioner had 0$ income for last 5 years. My question is, if we are questioned at the interview why he hasn't been working or his plans for future since we are expecting a baby, the reason mentioned above is going to put a red flag to our situation?

Timeline

I guess you would just honestly tell them how you plan to live and where your income will come from.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I just feel they ask some strange questions sometimes and even if the answer it's easy, some of us just get stuck...I guess that's the only answer I would have, I won't start building up stories...

Thank you for your time in answering!

I have a similar question pls. Myself and hubby lives with his sister. We don't have a joint lease coz the sis offered to pay because of her brother (my hubby) I'll health. His sister is also our sponsor. My question is, will that not be an issue coz my hubby doesn't pay any bill. I'm also not working. We only have our insurance and bank account. Can that alone be ok for the interview?

Timeline

I am adding my husband to my account so we have a joint account before interview, we have a family phone plan with his parents also, same address, a baby on the way, we've been together since 2012, have a plane ticket in our names and a few pics from our court marriage, besides the album I'm putting together since we first met.We don't forgot the moment but our plan would be rather both get a job in fall or I will and he could stay home with the baby...this is the only story we've got, that's what we'll share with IO.

Also, I forgot to mention, we do have car insurance in both our names. We got married in Jaunary so ecerything else will come with time.

I am adding my husband to my account so we have a joint account before interview, we have a family phone plan with his parents also, same address, a baby on the way, we've been together since 2012, have a plane ticket in our names and a few pics from our court marriage, besides the album I'm putting together since we first met.We don't forgot the moment but our plan would be rather both get a job in fall or I will and he could stay home with the baby...this is the only story we've got, that's what we'll share with IO.

Also, I forgot to mention, we do have car insurance in both our names. We got married in Jaunary so ecerything else will come with time.

Hi :)

We were recently interviewed last June 2 and the Consular or Immigration Officer (CO or IO) just asked us about the joint accounts that we do have at that time as well as she photocopied everything that we have. I guess your situation is just fine since you have a lot of evidences not to mention to bring the ultrasound or medical report from your OB that you'll be having a baby. :) The CO didn't even checked our pictures but it's better to bring one. Just bring ALL your JOINT ACCUNTS and everything will be fine :) Regarding your job, if the CO asked for it then that's the time that you tell the CO your future plans. Besides, you do have a co-sponsor so nothing to worry just bring all the AOS paperworks that you do have :) Goodluck and God Bless. :)

Edited by sweet01
710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Timeline

I have a similar question pls. Myself and hubby lives with his sister. We don't have a joint lease coz the sis offered to pay because of her brother (my hubby) I'll health. His sister is also our sponsor. My question is, will that not be an issue coz my hubby doesn't pay any bill. I'm also not working. We only have our insurance and bank account. Can that alone be ok for the interview?

You can have the sister write an affidavit stating that you and her brother live together as a married couple in her home. Provide that in place of a joint lease/mortgage. Show IDs and bills and such that show you both have the same address.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.