singapal

Passport for Child Born Abroad

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

4 months after my daughter was born overseas I became a naturalized citizen. Instead of spending money on form N-600, I'm thinking getting her a passport directly. What documents do I need to submit? Could someone at least share a link or something? Thanks!

Are sure your daughter is a usc?

In order to pass the citizenship for a child, he/she needs to have a GC.

I think you need to petition your kid first. Once she got an immigrant visa, she will be admitted at the port of entry as a usc.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You could use Google or something to find information...

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

it seems you have a plan, but i have some sense that you not qualify to chase a usa passport overseas based on your length of time as a citizen prior to child's birth (ie, zero).

However, if the child was in usa yesterday, you could apply for something and get the citizenship for the child.

which path do you feel you qualify for?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

it seems you have a plan, but i have some sense that you not qualify to chase a usa passport overseas based on your length of time as a citizen prior to child's birth (ie, zero).

However, if the child was in usa yesterday, you could apply for something and get the citizenship for the child.

which path do you feel you qualify for?

Thanks for the response. We're working with the US embassy in China to get her a transportation boarding letter so that she can enter the US visa-free as an LPR. The 3 of us will move back together then I'll get her a passport immediately. Just wondering what documents are needed to apply for a passport.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ah - that path. [just a passport inside the usa ]

IIRC, for the child inside of the USA, it's going to be 1] passport application and 2] proof of parent's usa citizenship, a photocopy suffices .

and that's it. i may be missing something on it, perhaps other can chime in and write more.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

4 months after my daughter was born overseas I became a naturalized citizen. Instead of spending money on form N-600, I'm thinking getting her a passport directly. What documents do I need to submit? Could someone at least share a link or something? Thanks!

Is the child in the US now? If in the US under what basis did the child enter the US?

If the child is still out of the country, you will likely have to go the I-130/LPR though for a child that young (I am assuming this was recent) she will become a US citizen automatically once she enters the country given you are a US citizen. Even in that case you may need to file the N-600 to document her citizenship

If the child entered the US while you were still a permanent resident under a derivative visa, then once you became a citizen I believe you are correct that she is also a citizen.

Here is what the US State Dept says you need for a child's passport: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/under-16.html and a link specific to your case http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/child-citizenship-act.html

Edited by LBeachey

Filed: Timeline

Is the child in the US now? If in the US under what basis did the child enter the US?

If the child is still out of the country, you will likely have to go the I-130/LPR though for a child that young (I am assuming this was recent) she will become a US citizen automatically once she enters the country given you are a US citizen. Even in that case you may need to file the N-600 to document her citizenship

If the child entered the US while you were still a permanent resident under a derivative visa, then once you became a citizen I believe you are correct that she is also a citizen.

Here is what the US State Dept says you need for a child's passport: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/under-16.html and a link specific to your case http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/child-citizenship-act.html

Based on the OP's comment ("We're working with the US embassy in China to get her a transportation boarding letter so that she can enter the US visa-free as an LPR."), I believe what is happening is the mother gave birth while an LPR abroad, in which case, if the kid is brought to the US before age 2 accompanied by either LPR parent on their first return to the US, the kid does not need an immigrant visa, and becomes an LPR.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.