Jump to content

Find Alien Registration Number without filing FOIA?

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Is there a way to find my wife's Alien Registration Number without filing a Freedom Of Information Act request?

She says important papers were stolen from her house several years ago, including this Alien Registration Number.

I have her I-94 Border Card, is it one of the numbers displaying along the bottom of the card?

I am a US Citizen getting ready to file a Adjustment of Status for my wife of 3 years who lives with me in the states. The I-30 Petition form is asking for this Alien Registration Number. Is there any other way I can find this number without filing a Freedom Of Information Request?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me ask you something:

-Was she a resident already? If so, why are you adjusting status?


Alien Registration Number (“A” Number) or Alien Number
A unique seven-, eight- or nine-digit number assigned to a noncitizen at the time his or her A-file is created. The 9-digit U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services number listed on the front of Permanent Resident Cards (Form I-551) issued after May 10, 2010, is the same as the Alien Registration Number. The A-number can also be found on the back of these Permanent Resident Cards

The Alien registration number should be as the above mentions in the immigrant visa and Permanent Resident Card. Also in the Employment Authorization Card.

In here: http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_find_your_alien_registration_number

"If you have no documentation, and you have lost your Permanent Resident Card or certificate of naturalization, you may make an Infopass appointment through the USCIS.GOV website: infopass.uscis.gov, to go to your local USCIS office with official photo identification, and using your birthdate and name an information officer will be able to look up your number. Of course, you should then submit an application to replace your lost document, and unfortunately, that can be somewhat expensive."

I hope that helps.

Edited by Eric & Idalia

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~Moved from K1 Progress to General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum~

~Inquiry applicable to numerous immigration processes, not K1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca


:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife, as I understand it, is a non-status alien.

She entered the USA legally as a visitor back in 2007. Her visa just expired in Feb 2015.

I didn't know her when she entered the country. I met her in 2010 and married her in 2012, and her two teenage children who were 12 and 15 at the time of the marriage.

(Do I need the kids Alien Registration Numbers as well??)

I am now trying to get her status adjusted as my wife, as well as the kids.

Since she is now my wife, I am thinking the lack of Alien Registration Number is an administrative issue and should not hold up the processing of my I-30 and I-485 for her... I am thinking about submitting the forms without this info.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that is correct, she did overstay her visit.

She says the lack of Alien Registration Number is not a big deal, but I am just trying to follow the information requested on the form.


I was an au pair two years and tourist many times before the CR1 process. When my husband filed the I-130 and I-864, I didn't have an alien registration number. So we left it empty. Read the instruction of each form. They will tell you to leave it empty or put "NA".

I got it my CR1 visa this week, and on it and another paper the A-number is shown.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP - it's definite that your spouse not have an Alien Registration Number. I'll bet your last 3 paychecks on it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

They won't give you an alien number just based on a visa. I've had two visas in the states and never got one.

She will be assigned one during the visa process. Just fill in NONE or leave it empty (whatever the instructions say you should do) as she doesn't have one.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank all of you for your responses....

I was feeling a little uncomfortable with her telling me her lack of Alien Registration Number was "No big deal".... but with her "non-status alien" It's starting to make sense now.

Edited by geekmee

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.