Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Travel during ROC (split thread)

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I posted in another area because I had questions about the ROC. But now I have questions about the I-131. My situation is different as it's not for work purposes that we would be traveling abroad, and it's a shorter time frame.

My husband will be applying for the ROC in January, but we were supposed to leave the country for one week for a wedding in May. He may or may not be approved by then, but I'm trying to figure out if it's necessary to even apply for the I-131 if you're leaving the country for a week, after you've applied for the ROC? I know once he applies he'd technically be in pending status however I've seen in several different discussions that once you apply for the ROC/I-175 you get a year extension on the original GC? Is that true? In that case are we still able to leave the country as usual or is the I-131 necessary?

I appreciate the help & input.

Kind Regards-

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~Moved to correct forum from closed ancient closed thread~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca


:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The I-131 is not needed. Should your husband need to return after the green card expires, he will need the NOA1 from the I-751 to return to the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.