gnzl

DV winner on a k1 visa, in the US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hello,

I have been selected to apply for a green card. I have a low case number (in the hundreds, its actually current on the bulletin). I am currently in the US on a K1 visa, but I don't think we're getting married due to personal issues.

I completed the DS260 yesterday, and I requested for an AoS. I have 55 days left on the K1 visa and I am considering to pursue the green card from by home country.

Can I request to have it processed in my home country? Or should I go ahead and continue the AoS from inside the US

Thanks

Hello,

I have been selected to apply for a green card. I have a low case number (in the hundreds, its actually current on the bulletin). I am currently in the US on a K1 visa, but I don't think we're getting married due to personal issues.

I completed the DS260 yesterday, and I requested for an AoS. I have 55 days left on the K1 visa and I am considering to pursue the green card from by home country.

Can I request to have it processed in my home country? Or should I go ahead and continue the AoS from inside the US

Thanks

Wait - when you say your number is "current already", do you mean you are DV2015? If that is the case and you only completed the DS260 yesterday, there is a chance you have left it too late especially if you want to change to CP.

if you are DV2016 then you will be fine but then your comment about being "current already" doesn't make sense.

Is there a way I can change my ds260 to request being interviewed and processed from home?

Email kcc and ask them to unlock the Ds260 so you can change your home address on it, and tell them you want to change to CP. From what I understand the DS260 will still show AOS but if they have your request on record they will schedule you an interview closest to your address on there.

Again all this assuming you are DV2016. DV2015 you can still try this but kcc may not be able to do it in time to schedule you for an interview.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Timeline

You have no other option to adjust status from a K-1 other than through marriage to the petitioner. If you try, you will be denied the adjustment, lose the time it takes to get the denial, and likely miss out on the chance of a green card because of the time limits for processing DVs. IMO, you need to notify KCC, go home, and start the process as soon as you can. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.