JMYZ

Living Abroad with Wife -- Need to Guarantee Income When Moving to US?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am living abroad with my wife while applying for her immigration. We are at the NVC stage now.

My income abroad does meet the minimum income guideline, but I am afraid that at the interview, they will ask questions like:

>>> If both you and your wife move to the US after getting the immigration visa, you both will have to quit your job and find new jobs in the US. That means you will have zero income, and there's no guarantee that either of you will be able to find a job in a reasonable time frame. How will you support her?

Should I just bring in a joint sponsor from the beginning (as in now while I am filling out the I-864) so that there's already someone legally responsible for my wife?

Thanks in advance!

________

Edit: I do not have enough asset to use it as an alternative way of supporting my wife.

Edited by US-China-<3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes you will need a co-sponsor; income from abroad doesn;t count because it is not "current and ongoing"; ie it will stop when you move to the USA.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Current and continuing income is what is evaluated along with assets. Your income will not continue upon relocating to the US and you state that you do not have sufficient assets. So you will complete the affidavit of support as the petitioner/primary sponsor along with an affidavit of support from a qualified joint sponsor.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It depends on your situation and I only say that because of what happened with my wife and I. I too live outside of the US with my wife. I happen to have an extremely well paying job so my income was above the tax threshold between the US & Canada where there was a chance I could be taxed by the US as well. Anyway, outside of that, I was worried since my income wouldn't be continuing we got a joint sponsor as well, even though our assets were above the requirement too. When we were at our interview this past week the consular officer was surprised we used a joint sponsor due to the income I was making, even though it was foreign income and would not be continuing when we move to the States. He said he didn't need the original joint sponsor 864 as he did for everything else and said we were more than fine. Either way, it's better to be safe than sorry as we went overboard with proof documents throughout our whole process. It seems like it just depends on the situation and if you think there might be an issue it doesn't hurt to include the joint sponsor, but make sure you include a letter from their employer, taxes, etc...

Our biggest piece of advice is to be over-prepared and organized for everything through the process, but only give what they ask for. It served us well in our CR1 approval and everything got done in just about 6 months.

June 22: CR-1 Interview at Montreal Consulate = Approved

July 6: E-mailed Consulate as status has been 'Ready" since Interview with same date

July 7: Case Status as "Ready" and Date Updated

July 13: E-mailed, no update again

July 13: Case Status as "Ready" and Date Updated

July 24: E-mailed again, no update

July 24: Case Status as "Ready" and Date Updated

July 27: Date Updates by itself still "Ready"

July 28: Get Email from Montreal US Consulate requesting to go back and redo fingerprints

July 28: Drive halfway to Montreal

July 29: Get to Montreal

July 30 (8am): Redo fingerprints, consular officer apologizes for having us comeback for fingerprints, issues us the Visa on the spot

July 30 (3pm): VISA in HAND!

August 3: Florida move!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.