Jump to content

Can I apply for green card for my parents while I live outside of the US?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I'm becoming a US citizen within 6 months or so and we might be relocating to another country due to work, however I wanted to know if I could apply for a green card for my parents while I live in another country?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


no, the reason for petitioning family members if for reunification, if you don't live in the US, there is no reunification

you can file the i130 from another country, but you have to send the affidavit of support, have a physical address in the US

plus why would they want to live here if your not here?

if you plan to return to the US, then file for them

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No-ish; you can file the paperwork while you are abroad, but as mentioned by aleful, the visa is for family re-unification, so your parents will not be issued a visa unless you are back in the USA before or at the same time as them.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.