chrismorrison

Post Embassy Drama, UK VJer 'Life In The USA' Edition.

301 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What is Dove chocolate? I don't think Ive seen it there. Hershey's was disgusting it was like eating candle wax. I'm pretty sure we will all agree that our little treats here we would rather do with out to be with our loved ones. Like 2ndMessiah says its only a matter of time before we find a substitute.

Like I could live without our fizzy coke that on a nice hot day is the best thing ever so rather than get a US coke thats less carbonated I can just go get a huge slush for the gas station (or petrol station depending on your current situation) My fair lady swears that Fun-onions are as good as pickled onion Monster Munch I think not but would make a good replacement

As long as I can get a supply of USA spec Milky Ways (they're kind of a cross between a UK Mars Bar and Milky Way), preferably the Midnight version, then I can almost forgo some of the British chocolate. Apart from Cadbury's Cream Eggs (even with the goo recipe change). And Galaxy Caramel. And Rowntree Munchies. And Cadbury's Fruit and Nut. And...!

Does anyone know if Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce is available in the USA? Damn I love that stuff...

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Timeline

Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce I found that in world market when i was last there!

Date Filed : November 12th

NOA : November 16th

Biometrics : December 7th

Approved EAD&AP : January 29th

Card Mailed : February 2nd
Received Card : February 5th

Does anyone know if Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce is available in the USA? Damn I love that stuff...

Absolutely. Should be at every grocery store. It's been a standard pantry item my whole life.

I think it's funny how,these threads always turn Into food discussion.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

That's good to hear! Lea and Perrin's sauce is one of those things I can't do without!

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Dove LOOKS like Galaxy, same packaging/font but it tastes a bit more corn syrup-y. Which I think is the biggest problem with American chocolate in general. Loved your little breakdown there Chas ;) Don't forget Jaffa cakes!

I'm pretty great at adapting to new lifestyles/changes in food having done it a couple of times before. But there will always be a few things that I will adamantly say I miss and always will. There's no shame in missing things from your own culture! As long as you don't try and hate on everything in your new home because of it. There are loads of things that America does better than England and a lot of things I love about American culture - I wouldn't live here if I didn't. However I am British, so I am going to always have a spiritual anchor there. So basically...just let me miss the things that I will miss without telling me to "get over it" ;)

I was quite surprised to see a giant bottle of Worcestershire sauce in the pantry! It does have different packaging, it's not the orange/black label we're used to.

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

Oh god, Jaffa Cakes... I can eat a whole box in one go! :blush:

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Oh god, Jaffa Cakes... I can eat a whole box in one go! :blush:

Try Pims. Definitely not as good but might help.

Dove Chocolate

http://www.dovechocolate.com/

And it does appear that Dove IS actually Galaxy. Both made by the Mars corporation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_(chocolate)

Dont get me wrong. I get all the same sort of cravings for things from home (try getting potato bread or a soda farl) but after 4 years I learned to cope and now into my fifth year in the US I am really starting to find many fine alternative. That and mt wife makes a mean sausage roll. With a little bit of Canadian HP sauce ( not the same as from the UK but close) I am on the pigs back,

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Yeah, Dove is made by Mars, I just found there to be a strange after taste from it. Same when I tried Cadbury chocolate over here (and in Japan!) too. Maybe I'll give it another go and see!

It's easy enough to cope without food comforts, there are so many amazing food stuffs over here! I could eat Ruffles all day...and the sweets here are awesome. I love that they come in little boxes for some reason. Mmm...sausage roll...I made a giant sausage roll thing once and I was pretty impressed with it! It's quite a fun thing to make.

I am the beneficiary

Timeline

Sausage Rolls, pasties and scotch eggs are all easy things to make as are decent chips lol speaking of chips anyone know if the Acti-fry is a product over there. I can't recall seeing one in any of the large chain shops I went in, I think its a great product and for the amount of oil you use it makes some real good chips. Not your local chippy chips but as a decent compromise there good :)

Happy Independence Day! Anybody have holiday plans?

We've already been to watch our neighborhood parade. It's adorable with kids on decorated bikes and tots in decorated strollers and wagons. Plus a fire truck, constables, and a float with neighborhood veterans. It finishes up at the neighborhood pool with hot dogs, hamburgers, bouncy houses and games for the kids.

My UK husband is wearing his American flag t-shirt :)

BBQ, watermelon, fireworks later.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

We've already been to watch our neighborhood parade. It's adorable with kids on decorated bikes and tots in decorated strollers and wagons. Plus a fire truck, constables, and a float with neighborhood veterans. It finishes up at the neighborhood pool with hot dogs, hamburgers, bouncy houses and games for the kids.

That sounds like the neighborhood parade by my parents' house!

We are going to my aunt's house for a bbq this afternoon and then we are going to go to Fort Vancouver and watch the fireworks. Or we might travel to Portland. Depends on our driving situation.

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Happy Independence Day! We had planned a quiet evening at home but have been invited out so we are heading to Disney to watch the fireworks with friends. Same friends we celebrated with last year. This year we get to celebrate as a married couple. It's awesome!

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

We made lots of Mexican food (very American) and I made Brownies for dessert. :) Didn't take into account the high altitude and baking, had to re-bake the brownies. Good thing my sister in law is a baking enthusiast. We ate, drank, watched fireworks in the distance and had a good laugh. I sang the English national anthem very loudly and made fun of America when I could ;). All for fun of course. It was a fun night!

I am the beneficiary

We made lots of Mexican food (very American) and I made Brownies for dessert. :) Didn't take into account the high altitude and baking, had to re-bake the brownies. Good thing my sister in law is a baking enthusiast. We ate, drank, watched fireworks in the distance and had a good laugh. I sang the English national anthem very loudly and made fun of America when I could ;). All for fun of course. It was a fun night!

Is that different from the God Save the Queen? Is it some sort of football chant? And congratulations if you knew all the words.

You got to remember, our lot lost the war of independence and you have defected.... Embrace your new overlords. Merica........

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.