jshanib

B1 Visa Cancelled--Now what??

5 posts in this topic

So my partner was traveling from costa rica to the US to see me and to be here for the birth of his child. He had a ticket to be here for 6 months with us. Going through immigration in Atlanta, they started questioning him regarding his stay here, our relationship, detained him and sent him back to costa rica because they thought he was coming to work here and not just be with me for the 6 months of the ticket. They called me to verify that he would be staying with me and that I would support him during this time. I confirmed and thought everything was ok. I don't want to do fiance visa as it carries too much responsibility with that. I just want him to be able to travel freely back and forth to be part of our child's life and he has a business in costa rica that he needs to continue to work for. What is the chance of him going to the embassy in Costa Rica, explaining the circumstances and having the Visa reissued? Any feedback/help is greatly appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

B1 is for business, B2 is for tourism.

I do not understand the responsibility bit, you are having a child together.

What sort of business does he have?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

B1 is for business, B2 is for tourism- Yes, he was issued a b1/b2 visa. He has part ownership in a canopy tour business there, in Costa Rica. He did not notify the agent that I was pregnant, as he did not want to reveal too much information and just said he was coming to visit us. He has strong ties in costa rica, another child, business, family. The plan was not for him to come and stay forever, but to travel back and forth. I advised him to go back to the embassy in San Jose and to explain the case in greater detail in hopes he can get the visa back and try again to travel here.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

So my partner was traveling from costa rica to the US to see me and to be here for the birth of his child. He had a ticket to be here for 6 months with us. Going through immigration in Atlanta, they started questioning him regarding his stay here, our relationship, detained him and sent him back to costa rica because they thought he was coming to work here and not just be with me for the 6 months of the ticket. They called me to verify that he would be staying with me and that I would support him during this time. I confirmed and thought everything was ok. I don't want to do fiance visa as it carries too much responsibility with that. I just want him to be able to travel freely back and forth to be part of our child's life and he has a business in costa rica that he needs to continue to work for. What is the chance of him going to the embassy in Costa Rica, explaining the circumstances and having the Visa reissued? Any feedback/help is greatly appreciated.

He had a B 2 but was denied entry to the USA ? I don't know about work but they certainly thought there was a good chance that he would not return to C R. Especially since there is a child in the USA.

He wont get to re- examine what took place but he can apply again or as many times as he wants. He will be denied at the embassy next time I think but he will never be granted entry unless there are serious changes in his situation. Nothing will change those serious facts in the case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No harm trying but seems a long shot for him to get a B2 unless there is a substantial change in his circumstances.

Having a SO and a Child in the US is a big negative, not sure what sort of business allows 6 months absence, usually if it is your own you are lucky to manage a couple of days.

Probably safest to assume you will be the one doing the visiting.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.