4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone!

Excited to report that we sent our application to TX on May 1, it was transferred to CA and we just received the NOA2 on June 11th! Exciting news, but now we are feeling unprepared about what is to come next. I've reviewed the flowchart and the guide on here which are so helpful and also looked through the forums. I have a few questions.

We are both living and working in Colombia. I teach English at University in Medellin and my contract is until beginning December. His contract is until the end of November. We applied so early because we thought it would take much longer, but now it seems like the process is going a little faster than we had anticipated. The NOA2 says it is valid until 10/10/2015.

From my understanding, I have to fill out the Affidavit of Support for him to take to the interview in Bogota...which I saw asks about employment and residency in the U.S. This is the part I am concerned about because I obviously don't have a job in the US at the moment. Do I need to go back to the US and find a job and do all of this before he can go for his interview in Bogota? Is there any way to show in good faith that we will be moving to the US together and can live temporarily with my parents? I saw something about co-sponsors. Does anyone have a experience with this option?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Emily

----------

Mailed to TX - May 1

Received NOA1 - May 7 transferred to CA office

Received NOA2 - June 11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Excited to report that we sent our application to TX on May 1, it was transferred to CA and we just received the NOA2 on June 11th! Exciting news, but now we are feeling unprepared about what is to come next. I've reviewed the flowchart and the guide on here which are so helpful and also looked through the forums. I have a few questions.

We are both living and working in Colombia. I teach English at University in Medellin and my contract is until beginning December. His contract is until the end of November. We applied so early because we thought it would take much longer, but now it seems like the process is going a little faster than we had anticipated. The NOA2 says it is valid until 10/10/2015.

From my understanding, I have to fill out the Affidavit of Support for him to take to the interview in Bogota...which I saw asks about employment and residency in the U.S. This is the part I am concerned about because I obviously don't have a job in the US at the moment. Do I need to go back to the US and find a job and do all of this before he can go for his interview in Bogota? Is there any way to show in good faith that we will be moving to the US together and can live temporarily with my parents? I saw something about co-sponsors. Does anyone have a experience with this option?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Emily

You need to see if Colombia allows co sponsors. If they do, find someone in the U.S. to co sponsor for you. They would only be accepting responsibility for the time period between arrival in the U.S. and the date of the wedding. You will then need to file your AOS as soon as possible after your wedding and may need another co sponsor then. Did you file U.S. income tax for 2014 ?? You can schedule his interview for Just before the 10/10 date. The K-1 once approved does not need to be used immediately upon issue. It will expire 6 months from date of physical. So if you schedule a late interview and do the physical shortly before, the visa would be valid until March of 2016

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your response. I just found this on the Embassy's website. It says on page 5 Affidavit of Support, but I don't see anything about the Co-sponsor there...

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/colombia/231771/PDFs/kappointmentpackage.pdf

Yes, I have filed income taxes for the past two years since living here.

----------

Mailed to TX - May 1

Received NOA1 - May 7 transferred to CA office

Received NOA2 - June 11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Nice, does your income on your income taxes exceed the poverty guidelines ??? If you have someone willing to co sponsor, have them fill out the same form you do and have it on hand just in case you need it....That link you posted doesn't seem correct. The current form being used is the ds-160, the form you pulled up is from 2011 http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html#5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.