ferg9

I-864 questions, need help ASAP

3 posts in this topic

We leave in less than 24 hours to go to Guangzhou for my wife's interview. Really hoping someone can get to these questions if they have the time.

Joint sponsor questions:

1. Should joint sponsor send photocopies of their birth certificate? Or is a passport photocopy enough?

2. I read on "***removed***" that the joint sponsor needs to provide evidence that they have resided in their home for at least 6 months AND proof of their relationship to the petitioner. Is that true? My mother is the joint sponsor, and she has a different last name than me. I can't think of a document that would state that she's my mother.

3. My mother is not married, but she was married until 2013, so her taxes were filed jointly until then. My question is: does that mean my former step-father needs to fill out an i-864a? I'm guessing he doesn't, but since my mom provided her tax records from 2012-2014, I'm wondering if the embassy will be like... "What's up with that?". Does there need to be some kind of affidavit explaining the situation?

Petitioner questions:

4. My Chinese phone number doesn't fit in the boxes provided on the i-864. Is writing "See Attachment" in the boxes okay, even though it fits awkwardly with the spacing of the boxes?

5. Part 6. of i-864 - Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size. Should I include my wife (the immigrant) and her $0 income?

6. Alien Registration Number - We don’t think my wife has one, but on our I-130 approval letter that was sent in the mail, it says “Beneficiary A-Number: A000-000-000”. Am I supposed to write that on the i-864? That's the only time either of us have seen it mentioned that she has an A-number, and it doesn't seem like a real one anyway.

7. For Mailing Address and Place of Residence of petitioner, if I use my current address in China, should I then write an affidavit explaining that I am leaving this residence as soon as the visa is approved and have maintained domicile at my mother's address in the U.S.?

Thank you!!! I apologize if some of these have been answered here before.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

We leave in less than 24 hours to go to Guangzhou for my wife's interview. Really hoping someone can get to these questions if they have the time.

Joint sponsor questions:

1. Should joint sponsor send photocopies of their birth certificate? Or is a passport photocopy enough?

2. I read on "***removed***" that the joint sponsor needs to provide evidence that they have resided in their home for at least 6 months AND proof of their relationship to the petitioner. Is that true? My mother is the joint sponsor, and she has a different last name than me. I can't think of a document that would state that she's my mother.

3. My mother is not married, but she was married until 2013, so her taxes were filed jointly until then. My question is: does that mean my former step-father needs to fill out an i-864a? I'm guessing he doesn't, but since my mom provided her tax records from 2012-2014, I'm wondering if the embassy will be like... "What's up with that?". Does there need to be some kind of affidavit explaining the situation?

Petitioner questions:

4. My Chinese phone number doesn't fit in the boxes provided on the i-864. Is writing "See Attachment" in the boxes okay, even though it fits awkwardly with the spacing of the boxes?

5. Part 6. of i-864 - Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size. Should I include my wife (the immigrant) and her $0 income?

6. Alien Registration Number - We dont think my wife has one, but on our I-130 approval letter that was sent in the mail, it says Beneficiary A-Number: A000-000-000. Am I supposed to write that on the i-864? That's the only time either of us have seen it mentioned that she has an A-number, and it doesn't seem like a real one anyway.

7. For Mailing Address and Place of Residence of petitioner, if I use my current address in China, should I then write an affidavit explaining that I am leaving this residence as soon as the visa is approved and have maintained domicile at my mother's address in the U.S.?

1. You can do both if you like to be safe but anything that proves U.S. citizen such as passport will suffice .

2. No you don't have to do that, joint sponsors don't even have to be related to you so no need to prove such .

3. If she makes enough on her own and meets the guidelines then no it's not required many do this when their co sponsor is on the border line for the requirements and they want to be safe so no not mandatory .

4. You can always attach a sheet for stuff that doesn't fit and say see attachment sheet no worries don't overthink it they won't flip out because you wanted things to look a little more organized .

5. No.

6. No she won't have an a number till she gets the visa assuming she's never come on an immigrant visa to the U.S. Before .

7. You will have to show some type of proof yes that you plan to return to the U.S. And establish domicile, can be many things affidavit can be one .

Edited by Morganalmonshid94

Joint sponsor questions:

1. Should joint sponsor send photocopies of their birth certificate? Or is a passport photocopy enough? ~passport bio page is fine~

2. I read on "***removed***" that the joint sponsor needs to provide evidence that they have resided in their home for at least 6 months AND proof of their relationship to the petitioner. Is that true? My mother is the joint sponsor, and she has a different last name than me. I can't think of a document that would state that she's my mother. ~no because she needs to sign a completed I-864 not an I-864a~

3. My mother is not married, but she was married until 2013, so her taxes were filed jointly until then. My question is: does that mean my former step-father needs to fill out an i-864a? I'm guessing he doesn't, but since my mom provided her tax records from 2012-2014, I'm wondering if the embassy will be like... "What's up with that?". Does there need to be some kind of affidavit explaining the situation? ~No to both questions as it is past income. What matters is current ongoing income or assets~

Petitioner questions:

4. My Chinese phone number doesn't fit in the boxes provided on the i-864. Is writing "See Attachment" in the boxes okay, even though it fits awkwardly with the spacing of the boxes? ~yes provide an attachment~

5. Part 6. of i-864 - Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size. Should I include my wife (the immigrant) and her $0 income? ~no do not write down your wife here or zero~

6. Alien Registration Number - We don’t think my wife has one, but on our I-130 approval letter that was sent in the mail, it says “Beneficiary A-Number: A000-000-000”. Am I supposed to write that on the i-864? That's the only time either of us have seen it mentioned that she has an A-number, and it doesn't seem like a real one anyway. ~you can but otherwise you can write ~none~~

~you will need to provide proof of the fact you are reestablishing your domicile in the USA~

Answers in red.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.