tico01

N-400 sent today, 2 DUI's on record

10 posts in this topic

I got my green card through marriage, I became a LPR on 9/5/2012, we applied to remove my 2 year conditions on 8/26/14, after 9 month, I finally received my 10 year greencard on 6/5/2015. I am 43 years old and I have been in the States since I was 20 ( overstayed visa). We waited longer than the 6 months, by the time the greencard came in the mail, we had the N-400 package ready to be sent.

I sent my N-400 today 6/11/2015 (I am married to a US Citizen, LPR for 3 years), my concern is that I had two DUI's. The first one back in October 1993 ( got a citation, I did not get arrested), 6 months later I got arrested for violation of probation ( could not afford the fees), the probation was reinstated and I as able to complete everything that was required.. Then I had another one in August of 2000, they were "regular" DUI's, no crashed or severe intoxication. In the last one I did not blow, went to trial, was found guilty, I completed all the requirements.

I have the original arrests, the certificate of disposition for both, the DUI school completion and the certificate of treatment completion ( I was sent to treatment in the last one). Other than that I have 3 speeding tickets, on in 1992, one in 2006 and 2007 and a ticket for not stopping all the way at a stop sign in 2011.

I am doing this by myself (can't afford a lawyer), the DUI's are 9 years apart and the second one (last one) was almost 15 years ago, do you think these can be a reason for USCIS to deny my application?

We have paid all our taxes and I sent almost 300 pages of information to them. Can you please advise. Thanks

I let me just say that I have learned my lesson and I have not had a drink in more than 10 years (for those that like to judge others).

Thank you guys

Tico.

Edited by tico01

No you shouldn't have a problem since they are out of the last 3 years that you need to show a good moral character

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Nothing there that should have any bearing on your becoming a citizen.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

• 4 months later...

I just want to let you guys know that everything went well. This is how it went:

My appointment was on September 22nd, 2015 at 10:50am. I arrived at 10:40am, went through the security check and gave my paper to the lady in the front counter (there were 3 people ahead of me), I was given a ticket at 10:53am and I was told to sit and wait. About 20 minutes later, this nice lady came out and took me to her office, she told me to put binder I had with me on one of the sits, asked me not to sit down, she made me swear that I was going to tell the truth, then she asked me to sit down. She started looking through my file, she asked me who owns the house, I told her that it is currently under my name. She asked me what would happen if I pass away, I told her that my wife will get the house, she said that here in Florida that is not a guaranteed thing, and that I need to add my wife to the tile. I told her that I have not done it cause of the money. Then she asked me about to recent trips I made in July and September for 10 days each ( deaths in the family), I had the paperwork ready for her to see it, she took it and added the into to the original form that I had mailed. Then she asked me about a violation of probation I had in 1993 (DUI), I explained to her the incident (missed 2 probation appointments), then she asked me if I owe any taxes, I answered "no". The she went ahead and move on to the English test, asked me: who is the Father of Our Country? She asked me to write the answer on a piece of paper. Then she went to the civics questions, she asked me: 1. Who is in charge of the Executive Branch. 2. What is the name of the Vice president of the USA. 3. There are 4 amendments to the Constitution about who can vote, to describe one of them. 5. Name one right only for US Citizens. 6. Who did the United States fight in the WW II. The office asked me if I ever registered to vote, my answer was "no", she also asked me if I ever claimed to be a US Citizen, and if I ever lied to gain immigration benefits, my answer was "no" to both. After that she went ahead and started talking about going to State.gov and start filling out the form for the passport (right there and then, I knew I was good to go). She also told me that I was going to have to wait outside for the paperwork cause the Oath Ceremony was going to be soon and they could not mail the letter. She asked me to sign the paperwork. She said "Congratulations, you are approved"!!!!!! She took me back to the waiting room, I had to wait about 45 minutes, a lady from one of the windows called me, gave me the paperwork for the Oath Ceremony which was on Friday 10/2/2015. I am a US Citizen now. Thanks to all.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello im a permanent resident since jan 2011. Live here since 2007 came illegally. In 2014 i had a dwi and went to probation for 15 months. Finished probation in feb. 2016 and got my disposition letter in march. I wsnt to apply for citizenship but im afraid they r going to deny it due to my dwi. Im work for a school district and i graduate from my bachelors this summer. Do you think i should wait or should send the application? 

• 2 years later...

I think you should go for it, if it has been that long and you don't have anything else, only those two issues, you should go for it! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.