choppy_waters

Affidavit of Support Advice/Experiences

10 posts in this topic

Hey there! So I have two questions with regards to both the I-134 and I-864 Affidavits of Support that I will be filing as the Sponsor, and was hoping that maybe there will be some suggestions/advice.

1. Last year I was a student and between my earning and assets, I fall between 100% and 125% of the poverty level. I know that the I-134 requires the Sponsor make just 100% of the poverty level, so technically I am ok to file the I-134 without a joint sponsor, but because I didn’t make the 125% of the poverty level last year (although there is a chance I will this year), I am concerned that the consular official might choose to focus on this. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of situation, and if they would recommend a joint sponsor?
  2. I am headed to grad school this fall and will again have an abbreviated work year, and I am unsure if I will make the 125% of the poverty level needed for the I-864 for my fiancée’s adjustment of status. At the moment I live at home with my parents, but I will be moving out of state for school. I am planning on keeping my home state residency and will consider my parent’s address to by my permanent address. Although I will be physically living outside of the home, are my potential joint sponsors (parents) still be able to fill out the simpler I-864A for household joint sponsors, or is the full I-864 required?

Thanks for the help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey there! So I have two questions with regards to both the I-134 and I-864 Affidavits of Support that I will be filing as the Sponsor, and was hoping that maybe there will be some suggestions/advice.

• Last year I was a student and between my earning and assets, I fall between 100% and 125% of the poverty level. I know that the I-134 requires the Sponsor make just 100% of the poverty level, so technically I am ok to file the I-134 without a joint sponsor, but because I didnt make the 125% of the poverty level last year (although there is a chance I will this year), I am concerned that the consular official might choose to focus on this. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of situation, and if they would recommend a joint sponsor?
  • I am headed to grad school this fall and will again have an abbreviated work year, and I am unsure if I will make the 125% of the poverty level needed for the I-864 for my fiancées adjustment of status. At the moment I live at home with my parents, but I will be moving out of state for school. I am planning on keeping my home state residency and will consider my parents address to by my permanent address. Although I will be physically living outside of the home, are my potential joint sponsors (parents) still be able to fill out the simpler I-864A for household joint sponsors, or is the full I-864 required?
Thanks for the help!

Let's hear what others think as I almost have this same dilemma ( I mean my fiance ^_^ ). He had on and off work last year hence didn't meet the required income but thankfully this year he has full time work and able to meet 125%. We are considering to make his dad as a co sponsor, however our consulate states that they dont accept co sponsor, its going to be a hit or miss.. as some co accept it others not, we're still deciding and looking for other people similar experience.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I posted a similar situation just a few days ago; as my income is non-taxable making my tax returns appear as if I make no money. Though I haven't seen a reply to mine yet. Hopefully you get yours, and I can piggy back!

Rich&Ashmani, sounds like a plan- it seems like we're kind of in this grey area.

Vladsayame, I was wondering how you found out if your consulate accepts cosponsors? Will it just be listed on the consulate's website?

I'll keep you posted if I find any answers.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Let's hear what others think as I almost have this same dilemma ( I mean my fiance ^_^ ). He had on and off work last year hence didn't meet the required income but thankfully this year he has full time work and able to meet 125%. We are considering to make his dad as a co sponsor, however our consulate states that they dont accept co sponsor, its going to be a hit or miss.. as some co accept it others not, we're still deciding and looking for other people similar experience.

Co-sponsors are a 50/50 chance with USEM in Manila, using a close relative is high on their list for improving the chances of them accepting a co-sponsor. Being you now having full time employment now with adequate income you may be just fine to get a letter from your employer stating you are now a full time employee and your annual salary, thus not need a co-sponsor.

There is info on co-sponsor in my link below in my signature follow the flashing arrow, under the USEM tab

Philippines forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Rich&Ashmani, sounds like a plan- it seems like we're kind of in this grey area.

Vladsayame, I was wondering how you found out if your consulate accepts cosponsors? Will it just be listed on the consulate's website?

I'll keep you posted if I find any answers.

Yes I remember reading it from a website. Hopefully u get some answers on your inquiry :)

Timeline

Co-sponsors are a 50/50 chance with USEM in Manila, using a close relative is high on their list for improving the chances of them accepting a co-sponsor. Being you now having full time employment now with adequate income you may be just fine to get a letter from your employer stating you are now a full time employee and your annual salary, thus not need a co-sponsor.

There is info on co-sponsor in my link below in my signature follow the flashing arrow, under the USEM tab

Philippines forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

thanks hank, my worries is that my fiance only started working fulltime for 4 mos and I read somewhere that it should be at least 6mos. My question is, do u think its possible to have a co sponsor but will only let the co know about it if he/she is not satisfied with my fiance income ( just in case ) and if no problem at all then I will not mention it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The I-134 is used in conjunction with many different visas. When used to support a K1 petition the 125% income rule is followed.

Your current and continuing income is what is evaluated,not past year (except for a self employed person). As stated earlier, joint sponsors at Manila are not always accepted.

Later on, after you are married the I-864 will be needed. The same thing about current and continuing. If you don't have an income at the time of the interview/Adjustment of Status then one of your parents should complete an I-864 along with your 864 which you submit regardless of income.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks hank, my worries is that my fiance only started working fulltime for 4 mos and I read somewhere that it should be at least 6mos. My question is, do u think its possible to have a co sponsor but will only let the co know about it if he/she is not satisfied with my fiance income ( just in case ) and if no problem at all then I will not mention it.

Don't worry about the "6 months" never heard of that one. And yes, to the co-sponsor - only if needed. GET the the letter from your fiance's employer!

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Don't worry about the "6 months" never heard of that one. And yes, to the co-sponsor - only if needed. GET the the letter from your fiance's employer!

aye aye! Thanks a lot ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.