fatimazahrae

Job interview references!

7 posts in this topic

Hi, i was looking for a job for more than 1 year, i got some interviews but never went to any of them due to a different reasons, like the distance, commission salary ect ..last week i decided to apply for any job, and to accept any offer just to go out , because its not healthy anymore for me to stay at the house, counting the hours and waiting, plus i don't sleep night. While i was looking for any job, and applying online i got 2 interviews , 1 got over phone in too far location, but i'm going to tomorrow and the other interview was over email with some questions concerning my previous experience ..ect , after answering the questions , i got the exact time and the place for the interview next week , i was told over the email that i need to fill application in my interview day, 15 minutes before the interview, by including 3 references, i know after the interview they can hire or they can't but i would like to do what they are asking for hopefully i can get this job my question is:

1. when i will fill the application do i need to clip a letters from the references ? or i will just write their names and contact information?

2. can i ask some people i volunteered for to be a reference?

i know my questions looks stupid but i apologize this is my first experience and this will help me next time if i don't get the job this time

Thanks ,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

usually you just write their name, contact number, title, and how you know them

You can ask anyone to be a reference for you, but yes, particularly those who you have worked for or volunteered for and who know your work ethic, etc.

11/06: Husband EWI from Mexico
11/08: Started dating

11/11: Husband got deported
1/11/14: Got married
3/13/14-11/2/14:
I-130
1/26/15-3/17/15: NVC

5/28/15: INTERVIEW - denied

6/8/15: I-601/I-212 waivers received

11/17/15: I-601/I-212 waivers APPROVED

12/11/15: HUBBY HOME!! :dance:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Unless they ask specifically you don't need letters of reference, just names , numbers and sometimes email address.

You can use almost anyone as a reference but the best people would be anyone that knows you in a professional capacity. Former managers, co workers, classmates etc. If all you have is people you volunteered with, then use them. Just avoid family members, people that don't know how to be professional and people who don't answer their phone.

09/27/14 Married :content:

12/03/14 Became a US citizen :star:

. .

02/25/15 130 Petition sent

02/27/15 NOA1 date :clock:

07/23/15 NOA2 date

08/03/15 Mailed to NVC

08/07/15 NVC Received

08/19/15 Case number assigned, submitted DS-261

08/20/15 Paid AOS bill

08/25/15 Received welcome letter

08/25/15 Sent AOS & IV package

08/31/15 DS-261 reviewed

08/31/15 AOS & IV scan date confirmed by Sup.

09/02/15 Received IV bill by email

09/03/15 Paid IV bill

09/09/15 Submitted DS-260

09/17/15 Case Completed @ NVC

10/06/15 Expedite Request sent to NVC

11/12/15 Contacted Sen. Marco Rubio for assistance with expedite by email

11/19/15 Expedite Approved

12/9/15 Medical

12/11/15 Interview (Approved)

12/14/15 CEAC Status changed to AP

12/15/15 CEAC Status Changed to Issued

12/18/15 Picked up Passport & booked hubby's ticket.

12/31/15 Ring in the New Years together after 4 years!!!! :dancing:

event.png

usually you just write their name, contact number, title, and how you know them

You can ask anyone to be a reference for you, but yes, particularly those who you have worked for or volunteered for and who know your work ethic, etc.

Thanks, yes , since i moved to USA last year , the only person from my home country (North Africa) he is the president of the place where i was working in , i didn't see her or talked to her since 2010 when i left the job she don't know i'm in USA i guess , so i think i have to contact her and take her permission to have her as a reference , i'm not sure if they call here in USA overseas reference or no?? ,

KAMW

Posted Today, 08:40 PM

Unless they ask specifically you don't need letters of reference, just names , numbers and sometimes email address.

You can use almost anyone as a reference but the best people would be anyone that knows you in a professional capacity. Former managers, co workers, classmates etc. If all you have is people you volunteered with, then use them. Just avoid family members, people that don't know how to be professional and people who don't answer their phone.

Thank you for your answer , i really didn't know that i can use anybody , of course i don't think family members are good as a reference,

you did a great help

Edited by fatimazahrae

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First - no questions are stupid, you are unsure so you're asking to make sure! Its great that you've volunteered in the US and if you can get a reference through someone there, all the better.

If its been a year looking for employment have you received feedback on why they might not have hired you if they were possibilities for you? You may want to have someone look at your resume to see if there is anything glaring that might affect you being hired.

In my cover letters when I first started applying after moving from Canada, I explained that the reason my previous experience was back in Canada was because I had emigrated to the US through marriage and was eligible to now work. I didn't want people guessing at why I had moved here or why my experience 'looked weird' or whether they were hiring someone who was trying to emigrate.

If the person from your home country speaks English well then I would contact them to ask that they be a reference.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Whether the potential employer will call international references depends on how comfortable they are with the responses of the US-based references and whether the position you're applying for is a position where a higher level of scrutiny is needed e.g. if it's a highly technical position, then they will likely want to understand how well you had performed in such roles before and whether you have all the required qualifications.

For any international contact details, remember to put in the information as it relates to country, city/regional code for the phone number clearly, you will be surprised by how many people make mistakes while dialing international numbers, you don't want them to think that you gave them a fake number.

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.